Best portable shortwave receiver? (better than Kaito 1103)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jafarm66

Look into a Tecsun PL-660 or PL-680 if you want SSB and full coverage to 30Mhz. If you don't mind AM/FM and SW from 2.3 - 21.95 you can look into the PL-380 or PL-310. The 380 is one of the most sensitiive receivers available. I have one on order myself.

sphipps

One of the best SW portable deals going right now are the refurb Kaito 1103's selling on eBay by Kaito in California for $60 shipped.

Bought one a few weeks ago. Only flaw is a tiny dent in the plastic on the speaker grille. Looks like a manufacturing defect that didn't pass final inspection since the radio appears never used. Kaito shipped it Priority Mail (couldn't have been cheap) and it came in factory packaging with all accessories you'd expect with a new unit.

I am 100% thrilled with it. Will easily rival my Sony 2010. I've had a few various Tecsun models and returned them due to difficult SSB tuning and muffled sound. The 1103 has none of those issues.

Robertkoa

That's surprising that it rivals your 2010.

That must be a really good very sensitive 1103 and Kaito probably goes over them pretty well ...

There are also now 'DSP 1103's' around which are not the same quality/ sensitivity.

Last edited:

sphipps

That's surprising that it rivals your 2010.

Yep... it's the first SW portable I've ever owned that I believe rivals my 2010. I'd never get rid of my 2010 since it's my favorite SW radio of all time... but I'm really surprised a cheap new Chinese radio can perform so close to it. I'm finding myself grabbing the 1103 more than the 2010 for late night and early morning DX'ing.

I've heard of a few QC issues that folks have had with the 1103... but mine appears to function absolutely perfect.

I was going to buy a Sony 7600 instead... but decided on the 1103 since I already own a 2010 and $100 savings sounded good to me. Very happy I did. I've previously owned a few 7600's and the 1103 performs just as well... if not better... than any I've seen.

Robertkoa

Just my .02 ..

Grundig G6 - convenient, but audio amplifier noise is tiring. So much so that using the airbands without a squelch drove me nuts. Low pass filter didn't help much - that noise floor is still there.

Grundig G3 - BIG improvement, although a bit bassy. At least the audio amplifier noise floor is way down compared to G6. Overall ok, but would it be a major improvement over your Tecsun? Probably not.

Given your requirements, I'd actually suggest taking a look at the Grundig Satellite 750 if you have to buy new in that price range. The good thing is that I haven't seen any major faults with the QC, only the limitations of a sub $300 receiver.

750-BFO gripes - don't swing that thing too much! For USB, just set it to 12 oclock. Then use the main vfo knob lightly. Make *fine* adjustments to the bfo, that is no more than about 1/2 of a clock-tick for best sound. For LSB, set it to 1 oclock and go back to the main vfo. The BFO isn't really meant to be a wide fine-tune. If one uses it that way, they are bound to be disappointed with a lot of fiddling. If you go forward or reverse more than about one clock-tick on the bfo dial, go back to either 12 or 1 oclock position (depending on which sideband you are using) and use the main vfo to get on frequency.

Front end overload is controlled via the rf-gain, but given that you may not be using very large antennas, this may not be a major issue. Nice sensitivity and selectivity for what it is.

Yeah- I get what you are saying about the G3 - I kept seeing Videos with' good' versions of the G3 and about 10 years ago I had an E10 but that was it and not that sensitive...so I wanted to play with SW again and took a chance on G3 because the noise floor seemed so good.

I got lucky and the G3 I got just a few months ago has good sensitivity and the quiet noise floor...

I lucked into a really nice Satellit 700 but it is not really as sensitive as the G3 so next few days -

The E1 will be here..

I like the rugged form factor of Satellit 700 and the AGC is really powerful..but mine is not that sensitive..I am surprised no one mods them for better DX Sensitivity...probably more difficult than I realize...

Robertkoa

Yeah- I get what you are saying about the G3 - I kept seeing Videos with' good' versions of the G3 and about 10 years ago I had an E10 but that was it and not that sensitive...so I wanted to play with SW again and took a chance on G3 because the noise floor seemed so good.

I got lucky and the G3 I got just a few months ago has good sensitivity and the quiet noise floor...

I lucked into a really nice Satellit 700 but it is not really as sensitive as the G3 so next few days -

The E1 will be here..

I like the rugged form factor of Satellit 700 and the AGC is really powerful..but mine is not that sensitive..I am surprised no one mods them for better DX Sensitivity...probably more difficult than I realize...

I think most Reviews and Posts I have read would rank sensitivity of Portables off WHIP ANTENNA as:
1] Sony ICF 2010

2] Eton E1 behind Sony slightly

3] Satellit 800 a hair below Eton E1

4] Drake SW8 [ with later series serial number which includes Whip Preamp] a hair below Satellit 800

Then I guess you have the smaller Receivers..which are usually not compared directly against the larger
Portables...but I have noticed the Kaito/ Degen 1103
and The Grundig Eton E5/ G5 are both ranked really highly by most...and occasionally someone seems to get a Tecsun 660 that is very sensitive...

Specific examples differ and testing methodology differs...but these are just based on a lot of reading
on my part...

Status
Not open for further replies.