Best scanner for zip code programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Hi Whiskey. I hear what you are saying but the OP asked specifically about the best scanner for zip code programming. Let him start slow and grow :)

Very wise advice! It's the perfect scanner for a newbie that wants to start out that way, but it also has so much "Under The Hood" that he'll have fun for a long, long, time, without outgrowing it.

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
This scanner looks pretty darn nice also, I have to be sure it's zip code programmed as I'm not sure yet and a nice price. BCD-325P2 TrunkTracker very. .. and I do appreciate all the help that you are giving me

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Quickly...been messing with scanners(and xtal receivers before that) for a long time. I use 2 of the Home Patrol 2 here...I can’t say they produce lousy results! Set what service you wanna monitor, set a range and go! Once you have it a bit, writing favorites lists is nice but I’ve left one of them only on zip code scanning and am very happy!

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
OP, your not understanding that the zip code programming still needs to connect to a PC to update the programming when there are any updates.
The real reason for zip code programming is if you go to a new location it will help get you going. Learning how to operate a SDS scanner will take more then learning how to program one.

Last edited:

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
OP, your not understanding that the zip code programming still needs to connect to a PC to update the programming when there are any updates.
The real reason for zip code programming is if you go to a new location it will help get you going. Learning how to operate a SDS scanner will take more then learning how to program one.

Like you said, it does not have zipcode entry for location based scanning, but from the BCD325P2 Wiki Entry it does appear to support LOCATION BASED SCANNING via GPS support. The learning curve on the SDS series might actually be be a tad easier than on 325P2.

What bothers me on this unit is the: "PC Programming and Control (No Uniden Software included or developed, 3rd Party Only)"
If that means what I think it means and the Wiki is not out-of-date, he'll still have to buy cables, a GPS unit and then find the programs to do what he wants. On the SDS series, he'll have access to the free Sentinel software available for the updates and programming. In my case, I played with the Sentinel software BEFORE the scanner arrived and already had my favorites list done by the time the scanner showed up at my door, and with the help of you guys, here at RR had already learned the concept of System - Department - Channel. But in the end, in this life, you only get what you pay for. While the cost is lower on the 325P2, it does not have the stated function he originally requested.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
A few drawbacks to zip code programming: You generally need to turn off every service type you don't want to hear as well as narrow your range down quite a ways.

So true, so true! But, fortunately the menu system on the SDS makes that easy peasy*.
*Assuming you actually play with the menu for five to ten minutes to get familiar with it.

bearcatrp

There is nothing wrong with zip code location scanning for folks new to these high end scanners. Its the easiest way to start. Once you get comfortable, then you can start slowly building favorites. You can get away with a 436/536 if simulcast isn't to bad in your area. My 436 did pretty good with 4 simulcast towers in my area. BUT, my SDS200 does allot better. Good suggestions above though. For a desktop scanner, get the SDS200 if you can afford it. You won't regret it.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Zip code scanning is only as good as the database. The down side is regardless of the brand, it only pulls in what you tell it based on what someone took time (or didn't) to verify. I used the zip method to monitor the new systen the U of M is setting up, and the number of silent categories far exceeds the ones with traffic.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
This scanner looks pretty darn nice also, I have to be sure it's zip code programmed as I'm not sure yet and a nice price. BCD-325P2 TrunkTracker very. .. and I do appreciate all the help that you are giving me.

So, which scanner did you decide on?

scanner404

Feed Provider
I have a 996P2 for base and a 436HP for mobile. It uses zip code programming, but your better off programming it yourself no matter which scanner you choose. They load too much stuff into the database, makes it hard to pick up anything when its searching through thousands of frequencies. I gotta say the Sentinel programming software you have to use for the 436 was a bit of a learning curve. I hated it at first, but its easy once you get the hang of it. I treat the "favorites lists" as my banks or "systems" as its called these days. It works well and the digital voice sounds clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.