Better BNC adapter for sds100?

rlex

Hello! I wonder if anyone have found better BNC adapter for uniden sds100.

I have some stiff BNC antennas that's kinda hard to remove/install without proper grip and needless to say it's pretty hard with stock SDS100 adapter.

I tried one like this, but due to raised part of antenna connector they only work for like 2-3 turns (if not less) and i'm afraid it's far from optimal. Maybe machine out some part of it so it will seat properly? But then i will lose some grip area.

I know jonwienke used to do some that addresses that issue (SDS100 BNC Antenna Adapter), but looks like he's not available anymore, and i wasn't able to find anything similar.

Any ideas?

rlex

You might try checking this one out... Thats the only other one I have seen like the one Jon was selling...

I have the one that Jon was selling serveral years ago...

Looks OK but absolutely no details on how it's made for SDS100, sadly. Plus no intl shipping.

There is this one also:

SMA male to BNC female
Isn't that just default one that comes with sds100?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
The difference between other ones and the one that Jon sold was the bottom (SMA side). It has material removed so as to
accomadate the lip on the SDS100's case... You can find other ones without the material trimmed back...
But the problem is the "Center Pin" doesn't seat in far enough and the threads not far enough on the 100 because of the lip around the antenna connector...

Ant adp.jpg

SMABNC.jpg

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I tried one like this, but due to raised part of antenna connector they only work for like 2-3 turns (if not less) and i'm afraid it's far from optimal. Maybe machine out some part of it so it will seat properly? But then i will lose some grip area.

I think Jon was buying the standard ones like the pict above and modding (Trimming) the SMA side... Or had someone machine it for him...
Anybody with a small lathe could easily do it...

rlex

I think Jon was buying the standard ones like the pict above and modding (Trimming) the SMA side... Or had someone machine it for him...
Anybody with a small lathe could easily do it...
Yeah i think i have friend with lathe, might as well try it, thanks.
why all the antenna swaps ?
Different bands, different situations, etc. Also live in an apt and can't install proper antenna, sadly. And i'd rather wear down BNC adapter than SMA connector, tbh.

Enix316

Is the difficulty finding one that mates so that the water protection is maintained? Because I have been using this kind and they seem to work fine for a noob like me. Granted I'm not worried about the water protection aspect.

Adapters

Please let me know if I'm a dummy for using these.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Is the difficulty finding one that mates so that the water protection is maintained? Because I have been using this kind and they seem to work fine for a noob like me. Granted I'm not worried about the water protection aspect.

Adapters

Please let me know if I'm a dummy for using these.
The problem with those as well as the one Uniden supplies with the scanner is the stress on the scanners SMA connector...
The one I'm using is supported by the case it self when screwed in... You could bang the ant into something or flex it while carrying it on your belt or what not without putting any stress on the radios SMA connector...

Enix316

The problem with those as well as the one Uniden supplies with the scanner is the stress on the scanners SMA connector...
The one I'm using is supported by the case it self when screwed in... You could bang the ant into something or flex it while carrying it on your belt or what not without putting any stress on the radios SMA connector...
Gotcha. I don't think that I have ever seen the official version. Thanks for the info.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Wide base, low profile, the original issue from Uniden was always an accident waiting to happen.