• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Better FRS Antennas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6HRW

Are there any FRS transceivers equipped with BETTER ‘permanently attached‘ antennas?

nd5y

I have never seen one with anything but a helical antenna.

If you are shopping for FRS radios look up the FCC ID and see what the actual power output is. Some are way less than the 2 W (462 MHz)/0.5 W (467 MHz) limits. Some are even less than 0.5 W on all channels.

KK6HRW

It's easy to outgrow FRS, especially when you know something about radio.

Get your GMRS license, it covers a good size family. The you can use all the better antennas (attached to better radios) you want.
I have the license, just curious as to why some manufacturer doesn’t do a better job with FRS by offering a full two (2) watts of power into a really good antenna.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Because the people that purchase FRS radios want them small and easy to carry. They are mostly not radio people and want them small even if effects how they preform.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A long time back (20 years?) Icom made a nice FRS radio that came in two models. One had the stubby antenna, and seemed to be the most popular. They had a second model with a full 1/4 wave flexible antenna.

I don't recall the model number, and I'm sure they are not in production anymore.

I haven't seen anything like it since. The stubby antenna radios seem to be popular with the great unwashed masses.

mrweather

Radio Shack at one time sold a "mobile" FRS radio. It was basically a magmount base containing all the radio electronics plus a 1/4 wave antenna, and combined cables that went to a handheld controller and cigarette lighter connector (from the 2002 catalog):

084.jpg

KK6HRW

Because the people that purchase FRS radios want them small and easy to carry. They are mostly not radio people and want them small even if effects how they preform.
Would a ‘telescoping’ antenna help keep the popular “form factor” that these radios are known for and still improve performance?

KK6HRW

Radio Shack at one time sold a "mobile" FRS radio. It was basically a magmount base containing all the radio electronics plus a 1/4 wave antenna, and combined cables that went to a handheld controller and cigarette lighter connector (from the 2002 catalog):

View attachment 94567

I had one of these “Mobile FRS” units and it was a great radio (the receiver was especially sensitive). It lived on top of my Land Rover for about 10 years until the sun finally destroyed the external wiring cable.

Radio Shack discontinued production, and I always suspected that the FCC had ‘slapped their hand’ for cleverly getting around the “permanently attached“ rule to enable rooftop mounting of the antenna.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Would a ‘telescoping’ antenna help keep the popular “form factor” that these radios are known for and still improve performance?

Probably. But consumers don't like that sort of stuff. FCC rules are pretty clear about what you can and cannot do with the antennas on these. ERP is limited to 1/2 watt or 2 watts, depending on the channel (§95.567). Antenna cannot have more gain than a half wave dipole (§95.587)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Radio Shack discontinued production, and I always suspected that the FCC had ‘slapped their hand’ for cleverly getting around the “permanently attached“ rule to enable rooftop mounting of the antenna.

Unlikely. The FCC would have granted the type acceptance for that, so they were well aware of it. It met all the FCC rules, and was perfectly legal.

Like I've said earlier, consumers are more interested in small/cute radios than something that actually works. Antenna size is a big factor in the consumer world, even for many hobbyists. Just search though this site for the number of people that want:
No external antennas on their car, but want to hear lots of radio traffic.
CB'ers that don't want some "huge antenna on their car", but want it to work well.
Hams that are afraid to install an external antenna.

No, these radios failed not because they didn't work or because the FCC didn't like them. They failed because most consumer have no understanding of how radios work and how important antenna are.

cmdrwill

The radio and antenna is one piece with a "long speaker mic cable". Technically still a fixed antenna on the transceiver..

n1das

Are there any FRS transceivers equipped with BETTER ‘permanently attached‘ antennas?

Check out the Retevis RB17 FRS radio. I have a few of these. They work excellent and appear to be based on a commercial radio design and not something designed to be another consumer grade FRS bubble pack. Tx power according to the FCC Grant is 1.8W. The 1.8W is to stay under the FRS legal limit and account for measurement uncertainty and unit to unit variation. The battery life on a charge is VERY long due to the 4400mAh battery and is USB-C chargeable.

Last edited:

n1das

It's easy to outgrow FRS, especially when you know something about radio.

Get your GMRS license, it covers a good size family. The you can use all the better antennas (attached to better radios) you want.

What Hit_Factor said.

I have been GMRS licensed since 1992 and have been using good quality Part 90/95 commercial gear. My GMRS callsign (KAE9013) predates the FCC's Universal Licensing System (ULS). The callsign resembles an old CB callsign since GMRS was previously known as Class A Citizens Band.

The only reason a I keep a few FRS radios around is for playing radio with my young nephews when they come to visit. They DO NOT get to play with my good radios. :)

Last edited:

KD8DVR

Premium Subscriber
FRS regulations require a "unity gain" (no gain) antenna. So it's doubtful you'll you'll encounter anything high performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.