• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Bk Technologies Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colton25

Anyone have info on BK releasing any of their new portable radios? I see lots of advertising but no information on release.

county

Premium Subscriber
Looks like BK has posted a FW update for the KNG and KNG2 as of 6-12-20..

rsmith7799

Good and morning, so for Software/Firmware questions, first, the KNG Model 1 and the KNG S, are no longer being manufactured. BK will still support them until 2025.
The KNG/KNG2 are working in the Firmware of 5.5.0m and Editor 5.5.0. CalFIRE has tested up until Firmware 5.5.0f and Software 5.5.3. If you are a contractor with CalFIRE DO NOT go higher than what CalFIRE has approved with firmware/software.
The next update that is on their site is 5.5.9. THIS IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SOFTWARE. This was created when BK released 5.5.6 and there were bugs in this version. This will not delete your 5.5.3, it actually adds another icon to your screen. But it will delete 5.5.6 if you uploaded it.

Ok, the long awaited BKR Series of radios. BK Technologies is still in the final stages of development of the single band (VHF) BKR 5000. They are working on the Dual and ALL BAND (BKR 9000) radios along with a mobile unit.
I can't give you a date for release as they are still working on final testing and Options that will go with this series.

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Has anybody tested the 5.5.0m firmware on their KNG or KNG2 portable?

I currently use firmware 5.5.0h with RES 5.5.4
If time permits while at work today (Fridays are busy) I will possibly, maybe, take the plunge and try
firmware 5.5.0m and RES 5.5.9
If anybody has done this and has had issues please let us know.
Thank You.

Last edited:

gtaman

I have not yet. I do need to submit a bug for the slow radio ID decoding. Takes a good 3 seconds before I see a radio ID on the display.

rsmith7799

Has anybody tested the 5.5.0m firmware on their KNG or KNG2 portable?

I currently use firmware 5.5.0h with RES 5.5.4
If time permits while at work today (Fridays are busy) I will possibly, maybe, take the plunge and try
firmware 5.5.0m and RES 5.5.9
If anybody has done this and has had issues please let us know.
Thank You.
I have used the firmware with no issues. Read the RELEASE NOTES as to why there is an update.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
So far so good on firmware 5.5.0m and RES 5.5.9 I did have to call BK as my license key didnt work on their website and i still have about 6 months left on my license. Apparently it didnt transfer over during their last update. But its fixed.
I feel like im getting a tad bit better battery life but that could be a placebo effect. I am glad to see the new update.

gtaman

So far so good on firmware 5.5.0m and RES 5.5.9 I did have to call BK as my license key didnt work on their website and i still have about 6 months left on my license. Apparently it didnt transfer over during their last update. But its fixed.
I feel like im getting a tad bit better battery life but that could be a placebo effect. I am glad to see the new update.

I’ll update mine tonight and see if I notice improvement.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Your not going crazy. Phase 2 sounds about the same but Phase 1 sounds better.
Also i do feel like i am getting better battery life.
ON my KNG2 unit in the area around the LCD screen and slightly above it would be a bit warm. Not hot, but warmer than the rest of the radio.
That is now gone with this update.

Colton25

If anyone has any new news on the 9000 release please share. I’m in the market for a dual band and have been holding off for the anticipated 9000 (continuous channel knob, fingers crossed)

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
KNG2-P800 i am reverting back to firmware 5.5.0h and RES 5.5.4
I was using 5.5.0p with RES 5.8.8 but 3 times in 2 weeks my radio had issues.
One was not finding the site for a system. I went to this city twice in one day. First time picked up a friend all worked well. 5 hours later dropped her off and it would not find the site. It found 2-1, 1-1, 1-2, 1-6 and 1-8 (all of these sites were also further away distance wise and my APX and G4 all worked both times i was there) but the site the city uses is 1-7 which worked just fine earlier was not working on my 2nd trip.
Week later (this week) twice i would turn it on, change zones and it would not pass audio on the channels i was parked on or in the scan list. SDS100, G4 and APX all worked like they were supposed to so logic tells me its a KNG issue. Especially when i know its worked before.
In both instances powering off radio, and powering back on allowed it to work however i feel that is a failure and one that has not happened on previous versions of firmware.
So not sure if this has happened to anyone else..

I also took these steps to try to reduce the risk of corruption.
installed old firmware, then launched RES5.5.4 and opened up an old codeplug from 6 months ago from the same version of firmware.
I programmed that to the radio.
Then just to be sure did the firmware for 5.5.0h again.
Then read the radio in RES 5.5.4 and made changes that were needed since that codeplug was used.

RodStrong

I just got a BKR-5000 demo last week. Need to find time to start playing with it. Big radio, and the battery looks like a rough copycat of the APX6/7/8 line. Not a fan of those batteries. Has anyone gone hands on with this series yet? Pros/cons?

Status
Not open for further replies.