HP-2: Blaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

1991fxrc

Premium Subscriber
I'm considering getting a new HP-2, since my old RS Pro 197 is now obsolete, I had just a few questions that hopefully someone can answer. First, I am not a computer savvy person. Downloading from the computer to a scanner is beyond my capability. (1) can the HP-2 be realistically programmed for an area, out of the box by simply entering the zip code ?, or does Scanner Master need to program the counties ? (2) If a firmware, or any type of update is needed, would I be notified ? & would I need to send it somewhere ? (3) I know it operates on batteries, but is there someway it can be operated by normal electricity ? ( plugging into an outlet ) (3) generally, has anyone encountered any problems or experiences with it. Any feedback or advice is welcome. Thanks, Blaster.

marksmith

Almost any current scanner, and definitely radios like the HP2 or x36 radios require they be used in conjunction with a computer.

The way you are notified of a firmware update is using the software on the computer, which is also the way you update it.

It's also the way you update the database used by the scanner, or determine your own scanning interests (favorites lists).

You can program the hp2 using zip code and it will fill it with all kinds of stuff. Some of interest, much not. This is why you have favorites lists to actually program the radio for what you want to listen to.

Sending the radio away to be programmed or firmware updated, from my standpoint us just silly. It takes a few seconds, and needs to be done frequently if you have area systems changing, or firmware updates happening.

I will say the hp2 has not had a firmware update yet, but I expect it will happen.

You can operate the radio off of 110v. I find it to be a terrific radio, but I update the database at least once a month, and update favorites list data at least as often to keep the radio current.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

Last edited:

ansky

I have the HP-2 and it's a great radio. Yes you can turn it on and enter your zip code, but you're going to have a hard time filtering out things you want and don't want to listen to. You need to use the software to create favorites lists. You also need the software to update the database. You would also need it to update the firmware, but there has never been any new firmware released for this scanner up to this point. The scanner comes with Sentinel programming software. I wouldn't say it's "easy" to use, especially if you're not a computer savvy person. But it's not that difficult to learn if you invest a little time. Connecting the device to your computer is as simple as plugging in a USB cord.

1991fxrc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. A while back, I tried to download to my Pro-197, but it was hopeless. It was much easier to manually program it. On the other hand, it seems no one trusts Scanner Master. I guess it's a catch 22

scosgt

Programming the HP is nothing at all like programming the 97.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Short answer: NO

Long answer:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

marksmith

It is much easier to program using the supplied software than manually. In fact you would probably need to buy the extreme upgrade to even try maintaining it through the radio.

I don't know anyone in QA County, but just for your info, QA County is just going on to the FiRST statewide phase 2 trunked system, and the channels are adding in daily. Other eastern shore counties are also adding in to the same system. This is a system that literally requires updates almost every day to stay current, and the weekly update of the database file is well worth doing just for the updates to this system. Most recently it has been QA County.

It sounds like you have a computer. If you want to use this radio, it's time to get familiar with using the computer again, or know someone local who can update it for you. It's really not difficult at all

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Hp2

I don't know your particular PC computer skills, but I can tell you, three years ago I bought my first digital scanner (BCD536HP). I knew very little about PC's and watched the instructional videos on you tube. I also directed a million questions to the forum members here on RadioReference. I liked to believe that I mastered the Sentinel program and the BCD536hp scanner.

The Homepatrol 2 is a great little scanner. I buy my scanners from Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland. Best prices, and a thirty day satisfactioned guarantee return policy. They'll also push you for programming, but if you have the patience to view the videos and ask questions here, than you have it made and won't need their programming. If your like me, once you understand the HP2, you'll eventually order the extreme upgrade, really worth the money. But if you decide not to buy the upgrade you'll still enjoy the radio.

Downloading Sentinel and playing with it, understanding it and building your favorite list is a breeze, you can try it without buying anything.

Keep in mind, once your up and running, you'll be expanding your listening pleasure and adding to your favorite lists.

Just ask your questions, these guys are great here on the forum, your questions will be answered.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much ! We'll give it a shot !

You can find the Homepatrol 2 Sentinel Software download at <http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/HomePatrol/HomePatrolSentinel>
HomePatrol_Sentinel_2_03_02.zip

Also, the Easier to Read Manual at:
<http://new.marksscanners.com/HP/HP.shtml>

Be sure to download only files pertaining to the HP2. Could be confusing if not careful, Sentinel makes software for the BCD436/536HP scanners as well as the Homepatrol 1 and Homepatrol 2.

Just ask!

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Homepatrol 2 Manual Tuning

1991fxrc, Not to confuse you, but another option available.

Manual program scanner (HP2).

Going to the menu;

Choose> create a favorites list.
Choose> add files to list. Choose state, Choose county, Choose agency.
Choose> add to list.

To help guide you, refer to RadioReference Data files <http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=24>
click on your county > Choose system >

note: Bookmark the state file, you'll be checking back with the file regularly. Also, when you see your county highlighted in green that indicates a change was made to that list in last 24 hours. When you see yellow, indicates a change in the past week. Great alerting system.

Hope this helps! I may be a little rusty with these directions, its been awhile. I replaced my HP2 with the BCD536HP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.