BMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

1991fxrc

Premium Subscriber
We are considering replacing our old RS 197 with a new Uniden model BCD996P2, to listen to Phase II communications. Has anyone had any experience with this model ? Is programming relatively easy, or should we get it pre-programmed ? Any input or advice is appreciated.

marksmith

Freescan software to program it is free but you need a cable to connect it to your PC. A standard USB cable.

With a membership to Radio Reference you can download the programming to Freescsn, or you can manually program it in the software.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

JamesO

Amazon, or search for other reliable and reputable online merchants.

Be careful about ebay as there are some sellers that Uniden will not honor warranty repairs and returns can often be problematic.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
While Amazon is a great marketplace, I highly recommend that folks who don't have a lot of experience with modern scanners purchase through a scanner specialty store who can provide full service, answer questions, and who offer programming services. One or more of the retailers we link to would be a good choice. Note that the linked page serves dealers in random order:

https://www.uniden.com/content/where-to-buy-uniden-scanners

marksmith

My recommendation would specifically exclude getting programming services. They essentially charge you for basically nothing, and by having someone else program (usually not from your area) it results in you not learning to program yourself.

These forums are to help you through programming and other issues and are no cost

Mark

cmdrwill

My recommendation would specifically exclude getting programming services. They essentially charge you for basically nothing, and by having someone else program (usually not from your area) it results in you not learning to program yourself.

These forums are to help you through programming and other issues and are no cost

Mark

I would tend to agree, a local person would have the particular knowledge for your local system(s) programming. Purchasing from a good dealer IS a plus IF you have any problems.. customer service.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
For some people (primarily PC illiterate), buying from a store that will update to the latest firmware and database versions is worth the extra money. At least they know the scanner will work (if not optimally) out of the box.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Freescan software to program it is free but you need a cable to connect it to your PC. A standard USB cable.

<snip>

Be careful here. Just recommending a 'standard USB cable' really isn't enough. It MUST have some drivers that are compatible with the version of Windows the OP is running. Win8 and later have made this a royal pain in the rumpus, and we have lots of threads on this annoying topic

Mike

phask

Premium Subscriber
Wrong - a 996p2 (and the 325) just use a generic cable. You thinking of thise requiring the serial/usb like a USB1 cable.

Be careful here. Just recommending a 'standard USB cable' really isn't enough. It MUST have some drivers that are compatible with the version of Windows the OP is running. Win8 and later have made this a royal pain in the rumpus, and we have lots of threads on this annoying topic

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not quite true. Uniden has supplied their own drivers on the P2 series scanner's TWiki page. I am sure these would be compliant with Win8.x and later. If you tried to use different drivers, it's not likely to work - and we have a few threads out there of folks that have tried this and failed.

Mike

phask

Premium Subscriber
I said CABLE as well as you did. Of course you need the Uniden Drivers. Your orginal post is confusing - see what you mean, but confusing.

Not quite true. Uniden has supplied their own drivers on the P2 series scanner's TWiki page. I am sure these would be compliant with Win8.x and later. If you tried to use different drivers, it's not likely to work - and we have a few threads out there of folks that have tried this and failed.

Mike

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
BCD996P2

I bought one of these scanners as a gift for my dad. He's in an area that requires P2. I did all the programming myself in a custom manner (not just downloading). Since I am a heavy GRE user there was a steep learning curve for me. In the end all worked fine but it took time to get a computer loaded with the correct drivers/software and communication with the scanner.

I like the performance of the radio but don't like the user interface. I know there are pros/cons comparing to what I am used to. My dad enjoys the radio but could have never programmed it.

marksmith

Mike
Good point.

For this reason my "radio PC" has remained Win7, which never had any problems with anything, even though I use Win10 on my other PC.

My point in my previous response was to pass on that the 996p2 does not require a special Uniden cable like the 996xt and other XT or T models.

Mark

marksmith

I bought one of these scanners as a gift for my dad. He's in an area that requires P2. I did all the programming myself in a custom manner (not just downloading). Since I am a heavy GRE user there was a steep learning curve for me. In the end all worked fine but it took time to get a computer loaded with the correct drivers/software and communication with the scanner.

I like the performance of the radio but don't like the user interface. I know there are pros/cons comparing to what I am used to. My dad enjoys the radio but could have never programmed it.
Owning radios from both sources, I hear you. Usually like what you are most familiar with.

The 996p2 is a good choice because of price, and once it is programmed, the daily type of stuff like hold/resume, search/scan, and the superficial menu stuff is probably easier on the 996p2 than a Whistler.

So good choice in your case, where regular programming won't be happening.

Mark

1991fxrc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the input, friends. Mind boggling isn't it ? Decisions decisions. Wouldn't it be nice if all these modern scanners were made like my first Regency crystal scanner in 1975 ? All that was needed were the crystals and a pair of needle nose pliers. Ah, the good ole days, life was simple then. I'm debating the 996P2 or a Home Patrol 2. Anyway, it is good to know there is help available. Whichever I get, I'm sure i'll need it. Thanks everybody !

marksmith

Thanks for all the input, friends. Mind boggling isn't it ? Decisions decisions. Wouldn't it be nice if all these modern scanners were made like my first Regency crystal scanner in 1975 ? All that was needed were the crystals and a pair of needle nose pliers. Ah, the good ole days, life was simple then. I'm debating the 996P2 or a Home Patrol 2. Anyway, it is good to know there is help available. Whichever I get, I'm sure i'll need it. Thanks everybody !
Both good radios. The HP2 will set you back a few more $ but give you a much more simple user interface, and also introduce the SD card stuff like a full database in the radio, recording capability, etc.

Mark

jrl44430

Why does Waycott Radio in post 6 by UPMan show the HP radios discontinued? Does this just mean they no longer carry them?

Status
Not open for further replies.