boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambill1

have a corupted boot file. get the green bar that goes across then nothing. bad boot file, any way of getting it to boot. of course the back up discs were not made. not my fault. work computer. :mad:

Thayne

If you can get an original install disk for whatever operating system you were using, you should be able to boot it from that once you make sure the optical drive can be bootable. You may be able to repair the boot file, but most always it is the hard drive may have went teats up---

gambill1

hp laptop using vista. the hard drive works ok because i pulled it out and hooked up external cables to use it as a external drive and was able to pull the files I need. Which was a full year of files for the sign and banner shop. ran norton internet security virus scan on it and it removed what viruses it had. put the drive back in but still wont boot.

Thayne

hp laptop using vista. the hard drive works ok because i pulled it out and hooked up external cables to use it as a external drive and was able to pull the files I need. Which was a full year of files for the sign and banner shop. ran norton internet security virus scan on it and it removed what viruses it had. put the drive back in but still wont boot.

Well at least you got your files back; if you bought that computer new you should be able to get some info or a disk from HP. I am fairly sure that they generally have another partition on the hard disk that has all the recovery files to recover it as it was when shipped. Did you get into the BIOS before it hangs up--you may be able to make it boot from the recovery partition that way.
I stay away from HP and Sony laptops because they seem harder to work on than Toshiba's or Dells and they do not tend to help customers solve problems.

Essexscan

you should be able to access the recovery system by pressing F8 when the computer starts, keep pressing it untill you see the recovery system start loading. it will give you options from a system recovery to a total reinstall from new. it works and has saved me alot of trouble over them years. I've had Compaq and then HP since the early 90's been very happy with HP laptops have very few problems with them

If you recover it I would immediately create the recovery discs and store them someplace safe but the recovery system should help you since you could get files of of the disc. You more than likely have a registry or corrupt driver problem thats not letting you boot up

Last edited:

KB0VWG

Could be a mbr issue

have a corupted boot file. get the green bar that goes across then nothing. bad boot file, any way of getting it to boot. of course the back up discs were not made. not my fault. work computer. :mad:

The master boot record could be damaged you might look into that, you can fix the mbr but as long as you dont have more than 4 partitions.
The mbr what starts up the pc and if that is not there or corrupted it wont boot.
Michael
kb0vwg
wqoi992

gambill1

I tried the F8 and recovery and didn't work for me. if my boss decides to get rid of it I am going to ask him for the laptop. I will put windows xp on it. I lke that better than vista.

Essexscan

did you do the recovery or the system restore? if you did the restore try the complete recovery that wipes everything and does a complete reinstall.What happens does it blue screen and shut down? or just stops responding

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
The master boot record could be damaged you might look into that, you can fix the mbr but as long as you dont have more than 4 partitions.
The mbr what starts up the pc and if that is not there or corrupted it wont boot.
Michael
kb0vwg
wqoi992
I had what sounds like the same issue. Fiked the Master Boot Record like KB says. Did it about three times and it worked for about two weeks each time then the HDD totally puked the last time.

well, you can fix it with the help of hiren boot cd or with the help of windows disk.
Just put it in the DVD+- RW and boot from cd when it ask for repair, new install and quit.
Press r for repair and enter the admin password.
type the following command
FIXBOOT
and restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.