SDS100/SDS200: Bought a used SDS100 with a Display issue

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
So i bought a used SDS100 on eBay, came with like 2 slightly bent Remtronix antennas and 1 slightly bent as they all do, stocker, nylon case, and extra battery and charger accessory kit. Got it today, works fine and all, but noticed, they display is messed up, have it at 100% brightness, bottom is bright, mille-top is much dimmer. What should i do? It wasnt mentioned that the display was like this, im not happy about it, but can deal with it for the price i got it all for. What would it cost to get the display fixed correctly im just wondering? From what ive read this has happened to others. Thanks.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Not a bad price for a repair. While it may be a bit steep for the minor things like say a broken solder joint on the antenna connection, it’s very reasonable when we consider most repair stations charge a flat rate just to set the radio down on the test bench and then add the itemized parts costs. True, a simple solder job when it’s obviously a break takes maybe 15 minutes to fix, but a cold solder joint might require extra time and test gear to first discover and then repair. And when you consider Uniden’s flat fee includes labor and overhead costs, I challenge anyone who doesn’t own any test gear, or a basic soldering station to beat it.

If you compare it to the automotive industry for example, what would you think a reasonable flat rate for all repairs would be? I know, it’s not a good comparison, like comparing apples to oranges, but they too charge flat rates for labor and then tag on the cost of parts. But what if they included the parts cost also? I’m not advocating anything here, just offering food for thought. In the interest of not highjacking this thread, any comments should be discussed under a new heading of your choosing (as the question in this thread has been answered conpletely in one reply).

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I’ll probally send it in, i want the display at full brightness like it should be. Be nice if the guy would have told me about it. Unless something happened in Transit..i even asked if he would refund 45 or so, to just cover half the repair, but he said it worked fine when he packed it up…he had pictures on eBay, which, in pictures the display looks perfectly normal.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Be nice if the guy would have told me about it. Unless something happened in Transit..i even asked if he would refund 45 or so, to just cover half the repair, but he said it worked fine when he packed it up…he had pictures on eBay, which, in pictures the display looks perfectly normal.
Was it shipped insured? If so, file a claim.
If not insured, consider opening a case with eby and/or giving the seller a 1-star rating.