• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BPR40 - get black screen or communication error programming

todd_stanu

Hello - I have tried multiple methods to read a few different BPR40 radios. I always get one of two results.
1. "communication error. check programming mode"
2. just sits there with a black screen after pressing the "read button"

I am using a usb to serial programming cable (bought on ebay. It is the cable with multiple adapters for multiple brands/models of radios). The driver is installed correctly and assigns a com port fine. I have all the different regions of software. I am mostly trying to use R02.05 AA. It was a legitimately purchased (not a shared/public download). The radio is a model AA north american region. I have tried multiple operating systems, XP, 7, 10, 11. I am putting the radio in programming mode by turning it on while holding the top button. Radio beeps and has steady orange light.

I tried a AZ model radio with the R02.05 AA software and get the "region" error....so I think the cable is actually working and trying to read the radio.

Any suggestions?

PS I am a cisco engineer so I am pretty familiar technology and have programmed other stuff before.

Thanks.

todd_stanu

Yes. I hold down the top button while turning it on. Release and get a steady amber light.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
You have to release the button fairly quickly after it beeps once or it will beep twice, then three, then four times, which have different functions (cloning, etc.), though it looks like those should show different LED colors. Are you releasing the button immediately after it beeps once? Is this happening with more than one radio? Have you tried a radio factory reset (hold down PTT and button 2 while turning on and wait for tone), assuming you don't mind losing the current programming?

todd_stanu

Thanks for the reply. Yes, release button quickly. One beep, steady amber light, so it seems I am in programming mode. It happen with multiple radios. I don't want to factory reset any of them until I know I can reprogram them LOL. Also, it happens with a brand new, out of the box radio. So, I am definitely doing something wrong.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I am using a usb to serial programming cable (bought on ebay. It is the cable with multiple adapters for multiple brands/models of radios).
I vaguely recall that the wiring for a BPR40 cable was different than that for a CP200 even though they use the same connector. Those multi radio cables are most likely for most every radio other than the BPR40. Might need to find the specific cable.

todd_stanu

Yes I have though that, and it might be the case. Weird though, the cable has a connector labeled "magone, bpr40" LOL. Maybe I need to try a specific cable.

Anybody have a specific store/site they have purchase a cable for this radio and been successful? Link or part number?

Thanks!

todd_stanu

Solved! I bought a different programming cable and it works fine. Thanks for the suggestions.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Sorry I haven't replied sooner, meant to. I'm glad that's all it took! Aftermarket cables can be real hit or miss (mostly miss it seems) but I see that eBay seller BlueMax49ers offers one. My experience is that his cables work well and he makes many different ones for multiple brands, should you need any others in the future (I've no connection, just a satisfied customer).