Bringing a radio in carry on

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3TAX

Hi couple of questions about travelling with my ham radio. I'll be going from Toronto to Florida and had some questions about bringing my transceiver in my carry on luggage. Will I have any problems bringing the radio through security ( with a copy of my IC license ), I also plan on bringing my scanner with me is there any problems bringing my scanner, and my final question as I'm new to the hobby is when operating in Florida is there anything special I should know.
Thank you for your time
VE3TAX

WX9EMS

I have read on some other groups that it is ok as long as you can display that it is a radio (like turn it on and such). However, I do not know how it will work passing through customs. Here stateside, it doesn't seem too bad; OTOH coming in from out of the states may be a different story.

As far as operating privileges go, I would visit the RAC link Canada - United States Reciprocal Operating Agreement

SmitHans

I have read on some other groups that it is ok as long as you can display that it is a radio (like turn it on and such).

True. You have to be able to power the thing up to show it works as a radio.

But then you may want to take the batteries out before getting on the plane - you don't want the things coming on in your bag and attracting attention.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
State side I had like 4 radios in my carry on when we were going to Florida I didn't have any issues.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
The one thing I do when flying with a scanner is set the first system scanned to a FM radio station.

That way if asked to turn it on they hear music. (Though, I'm probably being over cautious.)

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The one thing I do when flying with a scanner is set the first system scanned to a FM radio station.

That way if asked to turn it on they hear music. (Though, I'm probably being over cautious.)

Or maybe NOAA weather channels?

n9zas

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
That would probably work too.

I always thought my 396's and 800's looked like those "pocket radios" they sell, which is what made me think to do it.

I figure it's better for them to hear music, than them to hear themselves on my radio.

emcomm

I fly a lot, always have a radio, never been questioned once. Never. The don't care about radios, they are worried about breast milk more than 3 oz., finger nail clippers and guns.

elk2370bruce

I've never had a problem when flying, whether domestically or internationally. While I do carry a copy of my license, I've never been asked to show it. I don't carry my radios with batteries installed so there have never been any question or concern.

N4KVE

I do carry my HT's with batteries, because several times they want to see it's a working radio. Not a trojan horse for something illegal. If your transceiver is a HF rig, I don't know as I've never done that. Since you're coming from Toronto, you will pass through US customs in Canada, not here in the US, & in my experience that's easier. Good luck. GARY N4KVE

mm

I fly about 20 times a year and bring XTS5000's (UHF, VHF, 700/800 trunking), Motorola sabers, GE MPA's, a GPS and a scanner and have never had to turn a radio or anything on yet.

In fact my radios were duplicates for the same radios that TSA agents were using at some of the airports and no one ever said a thing about them.

The only time I was asked to open anything up was over a year ago when I had 2 loose NiMh batteries in a closed GPS side pocket and they wanted to see what they were, once the TSA agent opened the pocket and saw they were batteries I was on my way.

Now I just pull all the radios, GPS and batteries out and place them in an open tray and I find that's the fastest way to get thru security.

I place all the batteries in clear plastic battery holders BTW so any visual inspection goes faster.

Mike

Last edited:

MarkWestin

I have flown numerous times and the only question that was asked was " Why do you have so many batteries?" I told them why and was allowed through with no problems. On one trip I even had a brand new radio with me that I had bought on the trip (still in the box) and they didn't seem interested in it.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.