Broadcastify-calls & Ottawa P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
So I see that the broadcastify calls have been added to the Ottawa P25 system. Ottawa Trunking System, Ottawa, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

Bravo on this. I`ve been checking this out recently and I find that because it lists the radio IDs an such, it`s helped ID certain types of radio IDs as well in turn I believe can also help in identifying talkgroups as well. Is there any chance that even perhaps on an experimental basis, that unknown talkgroups could be added as well maybe to just this system? (Yes I understand the rule about unknown talkgroups added to the database and yes there are systems in the database that have unknowns listed) I think with this combination that it could also help us in identifying the talkgroups also. Maybe it also needs the streamer to also add some too. Not sure.

Ex. I see Talkgroup 2005 as listed as Water - West. Just going through the audio clips an such and I see ID 21245 ID as Roads - West who in turn was contacting dispatch who was actually referred to as 311 radio ID 21527. Perhaps a bit more listening is needed, but I don't actually think TG 2005 is Water - West, but Roads - West. Although there is water related stuff discussed though. Some more listening though may be needed to confirm this further.

Roads - East 2004
Roads - West 2005 * or Water West as listed in db
Roads/Waste Link 2006
Roads/ByLaw Patch/Link 2007

As someone who is not necessarily located close enough to listen to the Ottawa system on a full time basis I find that I can find the time however to listen to the clips. I've also added some radio IDs to my own lists due to having this available.

The great thing about all this as well as, as I'm sitting here discussing public works etc....take note, that public works and the OC Transpo/LRT and a few others, aren't even streamed through broadcastify although OPP/Fire/EMS are. But yet this is available to us with the broadcastify calls.

I never really understood the broacastify calls before, however I see it as quite useful now. Considering I'm not in Ottawa at all however am quite familiar with the system.

Last edited:

mciupa

The only unknown talkgroups that can be added are those with full time encryption as we cannot be 100% who the user is. Since you would have the capability to listen in on unencrypted talkgroups, please take the time to positively identify them.

We have been told that the database is not to be used as a "scratch pad" and to suggest that members use the Wiki for unconfirmed data storage.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Understood, however it's a bit tough trying to ID Encrypted talkgroups though. (Edit: my bad, I thought you meant encrypted tg's, I see now you referenced the unencrypted ones instead.)

I've seen it in more so on the US side of the database, but I have seen unknowns listed and it didn't appear that they were encrypted though. Was just a suggestion though.

The only unknown talkgroups that can be added are those with full time encryption as we cannot be 100% who the user is. Since you would have the capability to listen in on unencrypted talkgroups, please take the time to positively identify them.

We have been told that the database is not to be used as a "scratch pad" and to suggest that members use the Wiki for unconfirmed data storage.

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

You meant unknown talkgroups cannot be added, right?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Refer to the Police and System talkgroups in this system. Ottawa Trunking System, Ottawa, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

My reasoning is that there is no way for the voluntary submissions made by members to definitively identify them and they are in heavy usage on the system. I will remove them if directed.

If they cannot be definitively identified, then they need to be deleted.

There are ways to identify users, but it requires close attention to who has what radio ID when they're using unencrypted talkgroups, then correlating those to who is using the encrypted talkgroups.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.