Brookings, SD HAM Noob W/ A Yaesu FT-60RE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedNoiz

Hi, I'm a Brookings, SD HAM newbie looking to getting started. To make a long story short, I am a cyclist, outdoors guy, fisherman, survivalist, shootist, etc., and bought a Yaesu FT-60RE many years ago for emergency purposes. I do not have a HAM license and never planned to get one, as I understood the law allows the user to broadcast during emergencies when lives are at stake and that's the only reason I wanted this little HAM in the first place.

Well, I've gotten tired of listening to NOAA all the time and this radio is capable of a ton more. I want to get into it, get a license, and become a full- fledged HAM. I realize the licensing is out if the question now, what with the Covid-19 scare and everything that comes with it (the local HAM club monthly meetings are shut down and there is no testing at all), but I can still learn to program this thing and listen to my heart's content. I know some programming after breaking out the manual and setting out on my own, but learning this way is slow. It would be great to get together with some more experienced people and learn more.

I'd liked to be able to use the Yaesu for police scanner, fire, weather, talking, listening, and even how to listen to FM radio. Not sure what can be done. I am just starting to scratch the surface.

N8IAA

If you look at the RR database, you will see that your county and city are on a trunk system. The FT60 will not work on a P-25 digital trunk system.

If the analog conventional frequencies are still valid, then you'll be able to hear those transmissions. If not, you'll need to get a trunk tracking scanner.

I loved my FT60 when everything around me was analog conventional. Then trunking happened.

Make sure you do your homework. (y)

Oh, needless to say, talking to the PD, FD is a no no. No FM radio on the FT60. Talking on it also requires a amateur radio license. But, it's your radio............

TedNoiz

I've been doing tons of homework these days. Getting caught up. Learning Morse Code.

I know I can't talk on the cop channels, etc., nor even on the radio at all. I am waiting for stuff to open up again so I can take my test and get licensed. Everything is shut down right now. My goal is to simply set up so I can listen and talk for mountain bike events and emergency preparedness.

Thanks for the tip on the FM radio. I think I will buy one of those BaoFeng radios I keep hearing about. I know they have FM radio. That little radio can get all the emergency stuff, NOAA, plus talk. They are cheap enough to throw and carry around all the time. Then I will need carry around only one radio.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
There is no comparison between the FT-60R and a CCR. My FT-60R is over 10 years old and still works great, and programming from the keypad is easy, while on many CCR radios is a nightmare. Most ham radios are too slow to be decent scanners, and the CCRs are some of the slowest. If I were forced to have one radio, it would be the Yaesu.

TedNoiz

I bought my FT-60R in 2011. It has lasted all these years without a single issue. You do make a good point. My only argument is that I have to carry two radios, one for AM/FM, and the Yaesu for emergency when I go out. My thinking is that if I were to get the BaoFeng, I could carry it along on trails, events, etc., and leave the AM/FM behind. And they cost about the same as a portable AM/FM. That way, when it goes flying off my handlebars and into the street or rolls down a hill, it will be no big loss if it breaks. Then I can leave my Yaesu for other things, especially for home use, and buy more accessories for it, upgrade, etc. It will be around for a long time. Meantime the el cheapo BaoFeng will do all the emergency stuff, weather, FM radio (dont know if it does AM), and possibly walkie-talkie--all for a low price that wont break my heart when it fails, breaks, gets stolen, or gets stomped on by an angry buffalo.

TedNoiz

I changed my mind and went instead with a Yaesu FT-4XR. It's compact, has FM radio, and blows away the BaoFeng in overall quality and performance all for under one hundred bucks delivered.

kd8zuz

quote : the local HAM club monthly meetings are shut down . where did you get that from ? they have been going via zoom in place of in person . during covid , license exams can be done online . (i have the ft-60r and very pleased with it for many years)

Status
Not open for further replies.