Butel Software ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Just curious if many of you folks use the Butel software.

Use the Butel Software for editing, etc., rather than doing it in Sentinel ?

If so, pros and cons, etc. ?

Bob

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No.

It's not any easier, and you still need Sentinel for database and firmware updates.

So there is no real reason to use it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I use Butel's ARC-XT PRO for my Uniden BCD996P2, and it works great. The editing tools are very good. I also like the Virtual Control very much. I do not need or use Sentinel for anything. Including firmware updates.

Which scanner are you using?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You want to update firmware, the updates fix bugs and sometimes add new functions. You have to have a paid subscription to RR in order to use 3rd-party software to update the main database of the scanner. With Sentinel, access to the data is included in your purchase of the scanner.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You want to update firmware, the updates fix bugs and sometimes add new functions.

He didn't say he doesn't do firmware upgrades. He just stated he doesn't use Sentinel to do them.

I find managing my Favorite Lists easier to do with Butel's software.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
And you still need Sentinel if you want to do free database updates.

K1IWN

I use Butel for the 436/536 and enjoy it a great deal. I was missing some agency and trunk groups with the basic Sentinel that I would have had to enter manually, which would have been a lot of work. I find favorites lists are much easier to load, modify, and manage.

I find the subscription to RR very handy, as I don't have to wait a week for any new revisions and updates. The home page of "My RR" notifies of changes the day it happens.

I still use Sentinel for firmware updates... that is a must.

For me, I found it to be a good nominal investment.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
And you still need Sentinel if you want to do free database updates.

Have you considered buying a membership here on RR? You get a lot for your money, and you'll no longer be limited to using Sentinel. That in it's self is worth it! You'll also be supporting the cause!

ecarvalho

I use butel to update / editing my favorites. I keep Sentinel for DB and firmware updates.

Keep in mind you need a paid membership with RR to connect Butel with RR DB. I think is worth it.

I have both butel for BDC992P2 and BDC536HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
ARC536 is a good supplemental tool. Sentinel is still needed to update the full database, edit profiles, perform the occasional/rare firmware updates - pretty much anything beyond Favorites List editing.

I'll use ARC mostly for Virtual Control/logging purposes and to "pretty up" Favorites Lists, such as changing the case or justification of tags. It can also arrange Quick Keys a little better than Sentinel.

The big thing to remember is that if you edit a Favorites List in ARC your Sentinel version of the Favorites List won't have those changes. To keep them "in-sync", once your program the Favorites List to the scanner, you should use the "other" program to read the Favorites List. That will keep them identical in both sets of software.

My suggestion is that someone needs to get a good handle using Sentinel before using another brand of software.

garys

Premium Subscriber
For the most part I prefer to "roll my own" when it comes to Favorites Lists. The new version of ARC536 is much improved over the old one for that and many other functions.

I like being able to download multiple FLs to the scanner with the new version.

There was a definite learning curve, especially when it came to adding new systems to a FL, but it was well worth it.

I also use the Virtual Control function with the 436.

ARC536 is a good supplemental tool. Sentinel is still needed to update the full database, edit profiles, perform the occasional/rare firmware updates - pretty much anything beyond Favorites List editing.

I'll use ARC mostly for Virtual Control/logging purposes and to "pretty up" Favorites Lists, such as changing the case or justification of tags. It can also arrange Quick Keys a little better than Sentinel.

The big thing to remember is that if you edit a Favorites List in ARC your Sentinel version of the Favorites List won't have those changes. To keep them "in-sync", once your program the Favorites List to the scanner, you should use the "other" program to read the Favorites List. That will keep them identical in both sets of software.

My suggestion is that someone needs to get a good handle using Sentinel before using another brand of software.

revival1014

Premium Subscriber
Iv been learning on my own threw RR since way back when my grampa had his old crystal kind,he depended on it and showed me why.I have had a BCD536HP for 2 yrs. and with all the changes in tec now,you have to look at all the stuff out there and make differant choices along the way. sentinel is very nice ,prob more so if you are comp. smart,,,,,,again im not educated in but dable enough to try and learn from ALL of my many mistakes. sorry for my long ans.to how i like arc got to say love it!!! had it a few hrs. and could not believe how easy it made some things i was so close to having perfect fall rite in place. have fun dont be afrade to start over,,,, tiny things make lots of hair pulling !!!!!!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
PROSCAN is the best! I use PROSCAN with my 536.

It's excellent, yes, but 'the best'? That's subjective. Everyone's needs and preferences are different. I have ProScan and ARC-XT Pro, and use both. I wouldn't be willing to do without either one.

N9JIG

Sheriff
While one can do a lot with Sentinel to edit Favorites Lists if you are already familiar with other ARC Products you will likely find it easier to do in ARC536 or ARC-Patrol. Of course it really helps to have the paid membership here at RR (which one should have anyway!) but even cut/paste or direct entry works as well.

I haven't played with ProScan so I can't comment on it. I have tried FreeScan on other radios and it seems to work OK but AFAIK it doesn't support the SD Card radios.

gonefishn1

PROSCAN

It's excellent, yes, but 'the best'? That's subjective. Everyone's needs and preferences are different. I have ProScan and ARC-XT Pro, and use both. I wouldn't be willing to do without either one.

YES!!! PROSCAN is the best in my opinion.

With PROSCAN I can control my 536 with a wireless connection, I cant do that with ARC.

Status
Not open for further replies.