• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Called Motorola & asked the Million Dollar Question!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4KVE

But that’s impossible since they haven’t sold it for years. With all the current CPS discs being sold on that famous auction site, I doubt they care about RSS for 25+ year old radios.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
Sounds like some of Motorola's software could be considered abandonware:

wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

Note that abandonware is not a really a legal term. It does not mean that the intellectual property has become public domain, nor does it entitle the use/distribution/modification/resale of said software. The copyright(s) which Motorola holds on this software have likely still not expired. The customer service representative you spoke with is probably right in saying that Motorola will not pursue copyright infringement charges in regards to obsolete software as it is impractical. However, I would agree with iMONTOR's comment that the customer service representative probably does not have the authority to grant permission for use of their legacy software. If you are to play strictly by the law, obtaining the software from anywhere other than official Motorola distribution channels, you are not in the green, regardless of the age of the software or current level of support provided by Motorola.

Well I started out by on-line chatting with someone on the Motorola Solutions website who I asked the same question and she couldn't answer it for me and told me to contact Tech Support and provided the number. When I called them and spoke to the lady I'm sure she would have transferred or referred me to the appropriate person however she was able to answer all my questions which leads me to believe she 1) knew what she was talking about & 2) and had the authority to correctly represent Motorola Solutions. I'm sure I could have asked her "Do you have the authority to make these statements" but I'm sure she would have taken that rather negative which is not where I wanted to go. Now I'm sure no matter what calls I make or questions I ask the matter may never be 100% depending who you ask qualified or not but the facts seem to add up. You've got DOS based software that programs radios that are not within the mandated FCC Channel Spacing & when you google search legal action taken by Motorola against people using the Radio Service Software there's nothing since 2000. And it makes sense that Motorola wouldn't invest the time & money to track down or prosecute people based on that information.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Motorola has apparently long ceased caring about the non-narrow banded products in particular, but just older products in general. Now, all that's needed for hams is a "friend" that has the software you need.

About 15 years ago, there was a CD going around that had everything from MCS100 and Syntor software to MSF5K, Quantar, Astro Spectra and Portable, Pro Series, and Saber/XTS3K. And more.

As always, it was one of those "you gotta know somebody" things. My point is, except for the very latest, it's ALL "out there" to be had. You just have to put forth a little more effort than ask in a web forum.

And for what it's worth, I have NEVER detected a virus on the infamous "Russian website". Seems Russian hams hate virii just as much as we do.

Edit: BTW, I once asked a Motorola sales rep about some discontinued RSS and firmware. Next thing I knew, a FedEx envelope arrived with a couple of floppies... the much needed RSS and EEPROM firmware images. They REALLY don't care about the old stuff any more.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
Motorola has apparently long ceased caring about the non-narrow banded products in particular, but just older products in general. Now, all that's needed for hams is a "friend" that has the software you need.

About 15 years ago, there was a CD going around that had everything from MCS100 and Syntor software to MSF5K, Quantar, Astro Spectra and Portable, Pro Series, and Saber/XTS3K. And more.

As always, it was one of those "you gotta know somebody" things. My point is, except for the very latest, it's ALL "out there" to be had. You just have to put forth a little more effort than ask in a web forum.

And for what it's worth, I have NEVER detected a virus on the infamous "Russian website". Seems Russian hams hate virii just as much as we do.

Edit: BTW, I once asked a Motorola sales rep about some discontinued RSS and firmware. Next thing I knew, a FedEx envelope arrived with a couple of floppies... the much needed RSS and EEPROM firmware images. They REALLY don't care about the old stuff any more.

My buddy that programmed my 11 Motorola Genesis Series radios is going to install the software he has onto my older laptop I just acquired. There's also Ham Files and arpa.org I'm not worried about getting set up. That's the easy part

scanmanmi

She said do you have a model #? So I gave her the Model # off the above radio . After about a minute it must have come up on her computer and she says I show it to be an MT1000. I said that's correct. Her response was wow that's an old model.

Off topic but reminds me of a story. My bass player friend had a problem with his guitar so he called the factory and gave the serial number. They checked and came back and asked for him to repeat the number. They then said "wow you have the second hand built midi bass ever made". He had no idea.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
Off topic but reminds me of a story. My bass player friend had a problem with his guitar so he called the factory and gave the serial number. They checked and came back and asked for him to repeat the number. They then said "wow you have the second hand built midi bass ever made". He had no idea.

You never know what you've got I guess!!!!!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
My buddy that programmed my 11 Motorola Genesis Series radios is going to install the software he has onto my older laptop I just acquired.

There you go...

But I have a question. Isn't the MT1000 a Jedi series radio, not a Genesis series?

There's also Ham Files and arpa.org I'm not worried about getting set up. That's the easy part

Shhhhhh!

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
The Genesis Series consists of the following radios:
1. P200
2. P210 (European Version)
3. HT600
4. HT600E (European Version)
5. HT800 (European Version)
6. MT1000
7. MTX
8. MTX Classic
9. MTX 800
10. MTX 810
11. MTX 900

Note: The MTX Class is all 800 MHz & 900 MHz radios.

The Jedi Series consists of the following radios:
1. GP900
2. GP1200
3. HT1000
4. HT1100
5. JT1000
6. MT2000
7. MT2100
8. MTS-LS
9. MTX838
10. MTX2000
11. MTX8000
12. MTX9000
13. MTS2000
14. MTS2010
15. MTS2013
16. PTX1200
17. PTX3600

Last edited:

N4KVE

I must have 3, or 4 mint MTX Classics laying around with keypads on the front. They worked great last time I used them as simplex radios. But the batteries died, & to me it was not worth it to buy 3 new batteries for them. Oh, & the volume knobs turned to dust on all of them.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
I must have 3, or 4 mint MTX Classics laying around with keypads on the front. They worked great last time I used them as simplex radios. But the batteries died, & to me it was not worth it to buy 3 new batteries for them. Oh, & the volume knobs turned to dust on all of them.

Good Morning November Four Kilo Victor Echo. Yeah my friend Joel K4ZXR has a Classic & an MTX800. I think there both parts units as we were gonna take a mic out of the Classic and try and install it on one of my VHF MT1000's that had a bum mic on the radio itself. We may still swap it out but for now I've connected a lapel speaker mic to it and it works fine. A guy on Offer Up out of Jupiter was selling 14 MTX800's for $40 or $50 last week. Just checked and there gone so he must of got rid of them. But anyways I was tempted but got no use for 800 MHz stuff.....legally!! Even the 900 MHz (MTX900's) I hear are next to impossible to get working on the amateur 33cm band.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I carried a MT1000 for many years in LE, one tough little radio. Many times it got dropped and knocked around, in foot chases, scuffles, even getting in and out of the car. Our previous radios, the MT500, was a tough ole brick too.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
I carried a MT1000 for many years in LE, one tough little radio. Many times it got dropped and knocked around, in foot chases, scuffles, even getting in and out of the car. Our previous radios, the MT500, was a tough ole brick too.

I agree the MT1000's are tanks!!!! I grew up around the MT500's when I was an Explorer with the local ambulance service in my hometown. Great radio's but I believe there a bit trickier to program than the Genesis stuff from what I gather. Would love to have one in my collection that works either on 2-meter or 70cm ham bands!!!!!!

Sidenote I also was a Fire Explorer in the city I grew up in and we had our own radio system on low band. Channel 1 was 43.000 & Channel 2 was 42.960 and our leaders (Husband/Wife team) had a console at there house it which they transmitted tones which alerted us there was a house fire in which we would respond and serve the firefighters hot/cold drinks and snacks. My point is I had a Motorola MH10 Handheld. That thing was huge with an equally huge low band flexible whip antenna. It was an ex county fire portable. It had 2 channels with like 2 or 3 dials on the front and a switch I believe for something (can't remember what for). I even had the drop in charger for it and the speaker mic. Boy I thought I was something back then lol!!!!!!!

N4KVE

Good Morning November Four Kilo Victor Echo. Yeah my friend Joel K4ZXR has a Classic & an MTX800. I think there both parts units as we were gonna take a mic out of the Classic and try and install it on one of my VHF MT1000's that had a bum mic on the radio itself. We may still swap it out but for now I've connected a lapel speaker mic to it and it works fine. A guy on Offer Up out of Jupiter was selling 14 MTX800's for $40 or $50 last week. Just checked and there gone so he must of got rid of them. But anyways I was tempted but got no use for 800 MHz stuff.....legally!! Even the 900 MHz (MTX900's) I hear are next to impossible to get working on the amateur 33cm band.
I forget where I got them from, but the trunking Systems in them were no longer working. But ch 4 in all of them was a simplex freq. I used them one year at the Miami Hamfest to talk with friends. They worked so well, strangers came up to me wanting to buy them. I had to tell them they were not for sale. I had MTX9000’s I was selling that day that I found in a junkyard where I worked. Now I use XTS2500’s to talk on several UHF, & 900 P25 ham repeaters in Palm Beach.

mancow

Database Admin
I have a bootable usb stick I made with some HP usb boot media program that's out there. I use it with my CF-18 Toughbook and it runs everything but X9000 RSS just fine.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
I hear everybody rave about upgrade get a jedi series radio etc. And jedi series and even wars radios are great radios. I have owned a ht1000 great radio. But I use to work security in partially public housing funded complex we had some pretty sketchy residents and my radio was a ht600 this was in the early 2000s quite a few times I got into struggles with people and that ht600 got bounced around etc one time it and me took a trip down 4 flights of steps fighting a guy high on drugs trying to break into a ladies apartment. And in 4 years the most I had to do was replace a antenna once. The radio still works today I keep it programmed to the local gmrs stuff as a monitor things a beast.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
I hear everybody rave about upgrade get a jedi series radio etc. And jedi series and even wars radios are great radios. I have owned a ht1000 great radio. But I use to work security in partially public housing funded complex we had some pretty sketchy residents and my radio was a ht600 this was in the early 2000s quite a few times I got into struggles with people and that ht600 got bounced around etc one time it and me took a trip down 4 flights of steps fighting a guy high on drugs trying to break into a ladies apartment. And in 4 years the most I had to do was replace a antenna once. The radio still works today I keep it programmed to the local gmrs stuff as a monitor things a beast.

Great Testimony!!!!!! I do not have any HT600's yet. Key word is yet!!! I plan on getting at least a pair one on VHF (or 2-meter) and one on UHF (70cm). Possibly more. But great story sir!!!!!

6079smithw

True dat! I bought 11 HT600 UHF HTs and drop-in chargers at a state auction for $25.00 years back. I use them for Ham and GMRS and they still perform like new. Durability? Anything my kids and grandkids can't break has to be tough as granite... the HT600 is one sturdy radio! BTW I still have a coal-fired Pentium II DOS/Win98se to program all my early-model Motos and GE units.

Last edited:

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
True dat! I bought 11 HT600 UHF HTs and drop-in chargers at a state auction for $25.00 years back. I use them for Ham and GMRS and they still perform like new. Durability? Anything my kids and grandkids can't break has to be tough as granite... the HT600 is one sturdy radio! BTW I still have a coal-fired Pentium II DOS/Win98se to program all my early-model Motos and GE units.

I agree with you 100% as well sir. They are diamonds in the rough!!!! Worth there wait in gold. I just acquired a Toshiba Satellite 4020CDT with Windows 2000 Professional on it and fixin to get it loaded up with RSS. I lucked out big time as it was free and exactly what I needed. 300 MHz Pentium II processor. I actually have 11 Genesis Radios myself. 2 VHF 2-Watt 6-Channel P200's, 2 UHF 4-Watt 99-Channel MT1000's & 7 VHF 5-Watt 16-Channel MT1000's. I'd like to get 2 2-Watt UHF P200's and keep my P200's low power as well as pick up a pair or two HT600's full power half VHF & half UHF. Then I'll be set!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.