Callsign requirement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
An NPRM is a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking is not an actual rule. From the FCC web site "An NPRM contains proposed changes to the Commission’s rules and seeks public comment on these proposals."

Did the FCC ever make an actual ruling on this topic?

k9wkj

Premium Subscriber
Did the FCC ever make an actual ruling on this topic?

I ran off into Part 97 and I came back just as confused as I started
part 97.119 sub B

(b) The call sign must be transmitted with an emission authorized for the transmitting channel in one of the following ways:

(1) By a CW emission. When keyed by an automatic device used only for identification, the speed must not exceed 20 words per minute;

(2) By a phone emission in the English language. Use of a phonetic alphabet as an aid for correct station identification is encouraged;
Phone.
(5) Phone. Speech and other sound emissions having designators with A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first symbol; 1, 2, 3 or X as the second symbol; E as the third symbol. Also speech emissions having B or F as the first symbol; 7, 8 or 9 as the second symbol; E as the third symbol. MCW for the purpose of performing the station identification procedure, or for providing telegraphy practice interspersed with speech. Incidental tones for the purpose of selective calling or alerting or to control the level of a demodulated signal may also be considered phone.

(3) By a RTTY emission using a specified digital code when all or part of the communications are transmitted by a RTTY or data emission;

(4) By an image emission conforming to the applicable transmission standards, either color or monochrome, of § 73.682(a) of the FCC Rules when all or part of the communications are transmitted in the same image emission

I still dont see a definitive
as F7W is combo of F7D and F7E

I dont think there is a issue
but it would be good to have this clarified via a FR update

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
I ran off into Part 97 and I came back just as confused as I started
part 97.119 sub B

(b) The call sign must be transmitted with an emission authorized for the transmitting channel in one of the following ways:

(1) By a CW emission. When keyed by an automatic device used only for identification, the speed must not exceed 20 words per minute;

(2) By a phone emission in the English language. Use of a phonetic alphabet as an aid for correct station identification is encouraged;
Phone.
(5) Phone. Speech and other sound emissions having designators with A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first symbol; 1, 2, 3 or X as the second symbol; E as the third symbol. Also speech emissions having B or F as the first symbol; 7, 8 or 9 as the second symbol; E as the third symbol. MCW for the purpose of performing the station identification procedure, or for providing telegraphy practice interspersed with speech. Incidental tones for the purpose of selective calling or alerting or to control the level of a demodulated signal may also be considered phone.

(3) By a RTTY emission using a specified digital code when all or part of the communications are transmitted by a RTTY or data emission;

(4) By an image emission conforming to the applicable transmission standards, either color or monochrome, of § 73.682(a) of the FCC Rules when all or part of the communications are transmitted in the same image emission

I still dont see a definitive
as F7W is combo of F7D and F7E

I dont think there is a issue
but it would be good to have this clarified via a FR update

From Part 90 - I think the "good faith" operation in Part 97 for digital emissions would apply until the FCC changes the rules to explicitly state so:

(d) General exemptions. A station need not transmit identification if:
(1) It is a mobile station operating on the transmitting frequency of the associated base station.
(2) It is a mobile station in the Public Safety Pool using F1E or G1E emission.
(3) It is transmitting for telemetering purposes or for the activation of devices which are employed solely as a means of attracting attention, or for remote control purposes, or which is retransmitting by self-actuating means, a radio signal received from another radio station or stations.
(4) It is any type of radiopositioning or radar station authorized in a service other than the Radiolocation Service.
(5) It is used solely for automatic vehicle monitoring or location.
(6) It is a paging station authorized in accordance with the provisions of §90.20(a)(2)(v).
(7) It is a mobile station employing non-voice emissions and the associated base station identifies on behalf of the mobile unit(s).
(8) It is a base or mobile station in the 220-222 MHz band authorized to operate on a nationwide basis in accordance with subpart T of this part.
(9) It is a wireless microphone station operating in accordance with the provisions of §90.265(b).
(10) It is a Roadside Unit in a DSRCS system.
(e) Special provisions for stations licensed under this part that are classified as CMRS providers under part 20 of this chapter.
(1) Station identification will not be required for 929-930 MHz nationwide paging licensees or MTA or EA-based SMR licensees. All other CMRS stations will be required to comply with the station identification requirements of this paragraph.
(2) CMRS stations subject to a station identification requirement will be permitted to use a single call sign for commonly owned facilities that are operated as part of a single system. The call sign must be transmitted each hour within five minutes of the hour, or upon completion of the first transmission after the hour.
(3) CMRS stations granted exclusive channels may transmit their call signs digitally. A licensee that identifies its call sign in this manner must provide the Commission, upon request, information sufficient to decode the digital transmission and ascertain the call sign transmitted.
(f) Special provisions for stations licensed under this part that are not classified as CMRS providers under part 20 of this chapter.
(1) Stations subject to a station identification requirement will be permitted to use a single call sign for commonly owned facilities that are operated as part of a single system.
(2) Stations licensed on an exclusive basis in the bands between 150 and 512 MHz that normally employ digital signals for the transmission of data, text, control codes, or digitized voice may be identified by digital transmission of the call sign. A licensee that identifies its call sign in this manner must provide the Commission, upon request, information sufficient to decode the digital transmission and ascertain the call sign transmitted.

I think this sets the paradigm and if the FCC had a problem we would have seen NOV or NAL by now in Part 97.

This is only my opinion, but I have some experience professionally with Part 22, Part 24, Part 90, and Part 97 communications systems.

Last edited:

WB9YBM

Hi all,

Just got my tech last night and I already have a question that was not completely covered in the book. When I am on air using a digital mode, i.e. P25, how do I say my callsign? Am I required to say my callsign in analog and then switch to p25 or can I just announce it in p25? This goes for all digital modes too, can I say my callsign in digital?

Thanks,

Katt
the last time I scanned the regs, I remember them saying it's legal to identify in whatever mode you're using. (Maybe whoever's got a better memory than me or has them more readily accessible might have further inputs.)

WB9YBM

From Part 90 - I think the "good faith" operation in Part 97 for digital emissions would apply until the FCC changes the rules to explicitly state so:

(d) General exemptions. A station need not transmit identification if:
(1) It is a mobile station operating on the transmitting frequency of the associated base station.
(2) It is a mobile station in the Public Safety Pool using F1E or G1E emission.
(3) It is transmitting for telemetering purposes or for the activation of devices which are employed solely as a means of attracting attention, or for remote control purposes, or which is retransmitting by self-actuating means, a radio signal received from another radio station or stations.
(4) It is any type of radiopositioning or radar station authorized in a service other than the Radiolocation Service.
(5) It is used solely for automatic vehicle monitoring or location.
(6) It is a paging station authorized in accordance with the provisions of §90.20(a)(2)(v).
(7) It is a mobile station employing non-voice emissions and the associated base station identifies on behalf of the mobile unit(s).
(8) It is a base or mobile station in the 220-222 MHz band authorized to operate on a nationwide basis in accordance with subpart T of this part.
(9) It is a wireless microphone station operating in accordance with the provisions of §90.265(b).
(10) It is a Roadside Unit in a DSRCS system.
(e) Special provisions for stations licensed under this part that are classified as CMRS providers under part 20 of this chapter.
(1) Station identification will not be required for 929-930 MHz nationwide paging licensees or MTA or EA-based SMR licensees. All other CMRS stations will be required to comply with the station identification requirements of this paragraph.
(2) CMRS stations subject to a station identification requirement will be permitted to use a single call sign for commonly owned facilities that are operated as part of a single system. The call sign must be transmitted each hour within five minutes of the hour, or upon completion of the first transmission after the hour.
(3) CMRS stations granted exclusive channels may transmit their call signs digitally. A licensee that identifies its call sign in this manner must provide the Commission, upon request, information sufficient to decode the digital transmission and ascertain the call sign transmitted.
(f) Special provisions for stations licensed under this part that are not classified as CMRS providers under part 20 of this chapter.
(1) Stations subject to a station identification requirement will be permitted to use a single call sign for commonly owned facilities that are operated as part of a single system.
(2) Stations licensed on an exclusive basis in the bands between 150 and 512 MHz that normally employ digital signals for the transmission of data, text, control codes, or digitized voice may be identified by digital transmission of the call sign. A licensee that identifies its call sign in this manner must provide the Commission, upon request, information sufficient to decode the digital transmission and ascertain the call sign transmitted.

I think this sets the paradigm and if the FCC had a problem we would have seen NOV or NAL by now in Part 97.

This is only my opinion, but I have some experience professionally with Part 22, Part 24, Part 90, and Part 97 communications systems.
I received further clarification from the ARRL when I asked about identifying club operations when multiple stations are operating under the club callsign. Everyone can use the club callsign with a suffix identifying if they're portable, mobile, etc. Although some self-proclaimed "radio cops" out there might have a few comments because it might sound a bit unusual :)

Status
Not open for further replies.