Can a digital scanner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q-ball

Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2007
Messages
345
Reaction score
0
Can a digital scanner monitor analog and other radio systems AS WELL as digital, or is digital all it does?...
 

Airdorn

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
481
Reaction score
48
Location
Cordova, TN
Think of it like this:

Someone took all the years of scanner tech... and invented a digital decoder thingy and added it to it.
 

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
7,121
Reaction score
1,446
Location
Ontario, Canada
Analog and digital at the same time is not an issue. As far as the scanner is concerned, it's simply just another mode of reception (ie AM/FM/P25)
 

Q-ball

Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2007
Messages
345
Reaction score
0
thanks for clearning that up, i wasnt sure if digital meant digital "only" or "in addition to"....figured i might as well know since seems like some of my favorite depts. to monitor are testing out 800mhz digital equipt....heck, my county fire is already fully digital. Looking down the road i figure a psr 500 will be a good investment, i could load it with digital, analog...etc...
 

nexus

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Messages
1,654
Reaction score
1
Location
Mississippi
When you get a digital scanner you get the whole enchilada!!!! Analog, Digital, FM, WFM, AM, the most newest models cover 800mhz AND the new 700mhz as well as all of the bands that came on scanners before digital....
 

AirScan1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
449
Reaction score
0
Location
phoenix Arizona
I wouldn't put it pass them they try microwaves transmissions
it very sad they can't be happy what they have already.
 

AirScan1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
449
Reaction score
0
Location
phoenix Arizona
Meaning They keep coming up with new ideas and changing all the time, they can't be happy what they got.
but it's hard to keep up with thier ideas.
 
N

N_Jay

Guest
Meaning They keep coming up with new ideas and changing all the time, they can't be happy what they got.
but it's hard to keep up with their ideas.

Yes, we should all drive Model "T"s.

Just razzing you, but I think "technology" has been moving forward since we first discovered fire, and I hope it does not stop too soon.
 

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Joined
Oct 20, 2002
Messages
12,935
Reaction score
11
Location
Katy, TX
I wonder what's happens after digital ? Microwave scanners.
?? Hmm ??
Several of my scanners already scan the lower portion of the microwave spectrum. But I think we drift from the topic.
 
N

N_Jay

Guest
And N Jay falling for the troll.

I don't fall for Trolls, I let them fall all by them self.:twisted:

Well sometimes you have to give them a little push, like a slinky!:twisted::twisted:
 

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Messages
6,034
Reaction score
272
First you have to define "microwaves:, then you have to define "listenable".:twisted:

In this context, I would define "listenable" as something a typical hobbyist appliance operator can listen to. For the sake defining MY comments, let's define microwaves as above 1.3 GHz.
 

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Joined
Oct 20, 2002
Messages
12,935
Reaction score
11
Location
Katy, TX
In this context, I would define "listenable" as something a typical hobbyist appliance operator can listen to. For the sake defining MY comments, let's define microwaves as above 1.3 GHz.
I have no idea why you would choose 1.3 GHz as an arbitrary number. Most people recognize microwaves as anything below 1 m in wavelength which would start the microwave section at about 300MHz. Now I am will to admit that seems a little low but IEEE seems to think it starts at 1.0 GHz (30 cm band). Now since the Ham band (in the US) has a fairly popular band at 1240 - 1300 MHz, one would assume all of the current scanners (which cover that band) should be able pick up the Ham repeaters there...

Of course if you chose 1300 MHz just because very few current scanners go above that range, then you were stacking the deck on your question instead of using accepted definitions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top