Can Baofeng's be used to listen to trunked systems?

Orshawn

I am trying to find a way to listen to trunked systems, specifically a project 25 Phase II, using my Baofeng BF-F8HP. All of the PD, Fire, EMS, and even local University use this P25 Phase II, is there anyway to program my radio to be able to follow these systems. Or do I have to get a radio that is specifically designed to work on these trunked systems.
Thank you

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to find a way to listen to trunked systems, specifically a project 25 Phase II, using my Baofeng BF-F8HP. All of the PD, Fire, EMS, and even local University use this P25 Phase II, is there anyway to program my radio to be able to follow these systems. Or do I have to get a radio that is specifically designed to work on these trunked systems.
Thank you
You need a radio capable of receiving trunked systems. Your radio does not do digital, much less trunking, and it does not cover the frequencies in the 700 & 800MHz band used by most P25 trunking systems.

What city & state or you looking at? That would help determine if you need a radio that handles P25 Phase II systems, or (for now) can get by with one that covers P25 Phase I.

Orshawn

You need a radio capable of receiving trunked systems. Your radio does not do digital, much less trunking, and it does not cover the frequencies in the 700 & 800MHz band used by most P25 trunking systems.

What city & state or you looking at? That would help determine if you need a radio that handles P25 Phase II systems, or (for now) can get by with one that covers P25 Phase I.
I am in Lexington Ky, but will be moving around a lot in the coming months for my job so I would probably be best to find one that is capable of both. I am very very new to all things radio so I still have very little understanding of what the difference between digital, trunking, and everything else actually is.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
OP: You need a scanner capable of P25 phase 2. These are available from Uniden, Whistler, and BlueTail Technologies.
Or a pager capable of scanning P25 Phase 2. Don't forget Unication.

EDIT

Actually, could you put a discriminator tap into one and use it like a dongle if it covered the correct frequency range?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I am in Lexington Ky, but will be moving around a lot in the coming months for my job so I would probably be best to find one that is capable of both. I am very very new to all things radio so I still have very little understanding of what the difference between digital, trunking, and everything else actually is.

This is a good place to get started for info, if you still don't understand stuff always feel free to ask questions!

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
This is a joke, right?

Right???

The guy is a newbie, so in my humble opinion it might be best if you cut him some slack. Not everyone knows everything when trying something new, so they ask basic questions. You've been around here for about 18 years, so obviously know more. To me these types of comments did not seem very inviting or induce people to hang around.

HandiScratchy

I'll be passing through Lexington soon and just checked the database. Most of the Fayette County public safety stuff is full-time encrypted. Shown as "DE" or "TE" No radio, scanner or pager will hear the clear transmissions (some might let you hear the digital noise)

UK operations are mostly in the clear. There are some part time encrypted talk groups. Shown as "Te".

You should look around in the database for the areas you want to listen to and see if they're encrypted. The other variable for choosing equipment to scan trunked systems is simulcast. Simulcast systems can cause most scanners problems that limit what you hear. That info compared to your listening interests will guide your next hardware purchase.

The easiest, most consumer ready way to receive p25 simulcast systems is the relatively expensive SDS series from uniden*. That said $100 or less worth of rtl-sdr dongles, cables and antenna will receive the signals but you'll pay in setup time and they're not conveniently portable.

*Unication Pagers receive p25 simulcast very well but might leave you disappointed as a general listening tool. They are not scanners. You will need to program what you want to hear before hand. They are also only capable of receiving comparatively narrow range of frequencies.

Orshawn

I'll be passing through Lexington soon and just checked the database. Most of the Fayette County public safety stuff is full-time encrypted. Shown as "DE" or "TE" No radio, scanner or pager will hear the clear transmissions (some might let you hear the digital noise)

UK operations are mostly in the clear. There are some part time encrypted talk groups. Shown as "Te".

You should look around in the database for the areas you want to listen to and see if they're encrypted. The other variable for choosing equipment to scan trunked systems is simulcast. Simulcast systems can cause most scanners problems that limit what you hear. That info compared to your listening interests will guide your next hardware purchase.

The easiest, most consumer ready way to receive p25 simulcast systems is the relatively expensive SDS series from uniden*. That said $100 or less worth of rtl-sdr dongles, cables and antenna will receive the signals but you'll pay in setup time and they're not conveniently portable.

*Unication Pagers receive p25 simulcast very well but might leave you disappointed as a general listening tool. They are not scanners. You will need to program what you want to hear before hand. They are also only capable of receiving comparatively narrow range of frequencies.
Ok, so with most of Fayette County being full time encrypted is there no way to listen to what is being said? Or is it like analog vs digital, where there is way but that way is a unique/expensive radio. "
And I'll do more Research into those different types of radios but I know I'm looking for something that is reasonable portable as seeing I move thought out the city, and UK's campus as a student and want the ability to get live information about issues happing on campus because of how bad the University can be at sending out information of active events (i.e. there was a shots fired incident over the summer and you could have read a news an article about it before the university sending out a warning to avoid that area). I also don't have an issue to pre program it if needed.

I do see what you are talking about with the "DE" and "TE" but what do just "D" and "T" mean? And if they are encrypted that brings me back to is there anyway to still get access, or are you just kinda outta luck? Or is a "jump through 1000 hoops and 400 different requests" type things to be able to get access.
Thank you for helping explain just that, radio things are definitely confusing as all get out and i greatly appreciate the help understanding it all.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
You could join the campus police department, then they would issue you a radio.

No, there is realistically no way for the average person to get access to be able to receive encrypted radio traffic, and scanners can't do it even if you had the approval of the chief/sheriff/commissioner.

D is FDMA or phase I, and T is TDMA or phase II.

HandiScratchy

Ok, so with most of Fayette County being full time encrypted is there no way to listen to what is being said? Or is it like analog vs digital, where there is way but that way is a unique/expensive radio. "
And I'll do more Research into those different types of radios but I know I'm looking for something that is reasonable portable as seeing I move thought out the city, and UK's campus as a student and want the ability to get live information about issues happing on campus because of how bad the University can be at sending out information of active events (i.e. there was a shots fired incident over the summer and you could have read a news an article about it before the university sending out a warning to avoid that area). I also don't have an issue to pre program it if needed.

I do see what you are talking about with the "DE" and "TE" but what do just "D" and "T" mean? And if they are encrypted that brings me back to is there anyway to still get access, or are you just kinda outta luck? Or is a "jump through 1000 hoops and 400 different requests" type things to be able to get access.
Thank you for helping explain just that, radio things are definitely confusing as all get out and i greatly appreciate the help understanding it all.
As @jtwalker said encryption is secure and the only practical way to hear the clear transmissions is to have a radio that can decrypt them AND have the decryption key loaded into that radio.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
So to simplify: There is no way (legally) to listen to any encrypted frequency. The only way (illegally) is to obtain a radio with the decode key programmed into it. For general purposes, an SDS100 is a portable that can listen to almost anything that is not encrypted. It is pricey at $650+. There are cheaper scanners that do some, but not all that the SDS series can.

Any listing in the RR database that has an "E" is encrypted.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
OP: You need a scanner capable of P25 phase 2. These are available from Uniden, Whistler, and BlueTail Technologies.
Or DSD+ or other programs that work fine with an RTF-SDR, Airspy R2, or SDRplay. In my case, DSD+ with an Airspy R2 works better than my Uniden SDR200.