• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can someone help me tune my homemade dipole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...Even then the SWR would be close to 2:1 because a true dipole is about 75 ohms.

Close proximity to objects usually lowers the feed point impedance of an antenna. That 75 ohm feedpoint might even go close to 50 ohms, making the SWR close to 1:1.

ChetsJug

^^^^^ Complete twit when it comes to antennas, but I do remember something about metallurgy that a tech here might elaborate on.

Stainless Steel and copper has a different.... resonance? When you put a 102 on a car, you use the spring to make it a 108" from the stud. If you mount a fiberglass with a copper core you leave the spring out... or something like that.

I'm thinking that you have a lop eared rabbit here. The signal coming from each acting slightly different. There is surly a harmonic between the two that could cause reflection and prevent the SWR from falling below 3:1. IF you were to leave the copper pipe in there, you might need to trim it to a shorter or longer length (I remember watching YouTubes on this 102" whip thing). Personally I like the idea of having twin stainless whips. It's only $25 more to your investments and will eliminate any harmonics between the steel and copper.

<Antenna Twit will now sit down and return the meeting back over to people who know what they are doing > ;)

Voyager

How well insulated is the adapter at the bottom of the mounting plate? I see the insulator goes through the hole, but maybe the washer is squashing it against the mount.

AC9KH

An antenna tuner will not fix the real problem, it will only fool the radio into thinking it is ok.

Just for reference sake, an antenna tuner does fix the real problem. It is an LC network. So it matches the transmitter's impedance to the feedline. The real problem is that a dipole is a balanced antenna so it needs a balanced feedline if it is not at resonance. With the antenna at resonance, the capacitance and inductance values of the antenna are equal and you are dealing with pure resistive values.

Coax is not a balanced feedline. If you do buy a tuner, buy one with a balanced output and use air-insulated hardline instead of coax. Problem solved. It doesn't matter what the impedance mismatch is between the feedline and the antenna in that case because the losses on parallel feedline is so low as to be negligible. On a CB rig running only 4 watts on the carrier, you could probably get by with 300 ohm twinlead from the tuner to the antenna and it would work fine.

The biggest problem with that whole "solution" is that a good tuner costs more than the most expensive CB radios. And you don't really need a tuner because a tuner is only really needed when you intend to run a particular antenna on different frequency bands.

The biggest problem with the antenna in this thread is that it is a balanced antenna with an unbalanced feedline. So the easiest solution is turn the antenna into an unbalanced antenna by converting it to a ground plane type with the ground plane grounded. And then it will work fine.

prcguy

Since the CB band is fairly narrow, a dipole has no problem operating at resonance and matching well to 50 ohm coax. Even though a dipole is considered balanced, if you feed it with coax all the power will be radiated and life goes on. No need to use air insulated hard line or buy a balanced output tuner.

Using air insulated hard line in a system that really needs a balanced tuner is not the right way to go anyway, you would use an actual balanced feedline made of parallel conductors.
prcguy

Just for reference sake, an antenna tuner does fix the real problem. It is an LC network. So it matches the transmitter's impedance to the feedline. The real problem is that a dipole is a balanced antenna so it needs a balanced feedline if it is not at resonance. With the antenna at resonance, the capacitance and inductance values of the antenna are equal and you are dealing with pure resistive values.

Coax is not a balanced feedline. If you do buy a tuner, buy one with a balanced output and use air-insulated hardline instead of coax. Problem solved. It doesn't matter what the impedance mismatch is between the feedline and the antenna in that case because the losses on parallel feedline is so low as to be negligible. On a CB rig running only 4 watts on the carrier, you could probably get by with 300 ohm twinlead from the tuner to the antenna and it would work fine.

The biggest problem with that whole "solution" is that a good tuner costs more than the most expensive CB radios. And you don't really need a tuner because a tuner is only really needed when you intend to run a particular antenna on different frequency bands.

The biggest problem with the antenna in this thread is that it is a balanced antenna with an unbalanced feedline. So the easiest solution is turn the antenna into an unbalanced antenna by converting it to a ground plane type with the ground plane grounded. And then it will work fine.

AC9KH

Using air insulated hard line in a system that really needs a balanced tuner is not the right way to go anyway, you would use an actual balanced feedline made of parallel conductors.
prcguy

Yeah, sorry about that. I don't know what I was thinking there - I meant ladder line.

All I'm trying to say is that coax fed vertically polarized dipoles are not that common with HF because of the length of the antenna and sometimes the engineering challenges with preventing common mode current on the coax shield

Status
Not open for further replies.