Can someone verify this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

Here is my story I am listening to my local trunked system in CENTRAL IOWA, normal traffic today. Now all of the sudden, for the better part of 2 hours I have been listening to traffic identified as Ashville command on 856.2625----talking about engine 4 and 10---hook and ladder. Now they have mentioned engine 5, ladder 2 responding and something about I-73. I checked the freq.------can this really be Ashville NC? I am sitting 12inches from a computer inside of the house with a pro-92 and a telescoping antenna----it is about 95 degrees out here , if that matters. Thanks for any help, Mike

10-95

Haley said:
Here is my story I am listening to my local trunked system in CENTRAL IOWA, normal traffic today. Now all of the sudden, for the better part of 2 hours I have been listening to traffic identified as Ashville command on 856.2625----talking about engine 4 and 10---hook and ladder. Now they have mentioned engine 5, ladder 2 responding and something about I-73. I checked the freq.------can this really be Ashville NC? I am sitting 12inches from a computer inside of the house with a pro-92 and a telescoping antenna----it is about 95 degrees out here , if that matters. Thanks for any help, Mike

Sounds like some really good short skip opening happening. I'd believe it. A few weekends ago here we had a massive opening , I was hearing FM broadcast stations from Ottawa. It would take just the right conditions , escpecialy for 800Mhz but if you happen to be in the right place when the ducting happens it is very possible. I'd be willing to bet that if you changed locations at the time the opening happened you'd lose it all together. I was hearing KLTR -FM in Texas a few years ago and wanted to pull to the side of the road to listen and record a little of it on the dat recorder. Every time I pulled to the side of the highway it faded out, when I would pull back on to the highway it came right back in! Crazy stuff, but it is the time of the year for ducting, enjoy!

red8

ummm,
i recall if i may when i was dispatcher at the local sheriff's office in baton rouge when we first went on line with the 800mhz system an engineer with motorola told a bunch of us deputies that there was no agency with in 200 miles of baton rouge with the same freqs that
we were on. boy was he wrong. because i did some resarch in the old
police call directory and found out that the harris county so had some of the same frequencies that were assign to our dept. and when the
atmospheric conditions were right. we were able to hear them loud and clear
red8
bcd 396t & bcd 796 t

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
To add to this discussion Asheville is licensed for 856.2625 under the callsign of WNYE759
Sounds like a good DX Catch! :cool:
73's
Marshall KE4ZNR

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
Guys I've been listening to Missouri HP & Tennessee HP all weekend on 42.40--42.94 on various freqs in that area, too cool!I didn't realize 800 would open up like this or I'd have turned on the Pro 2096 & used the new 800mhz beam. Also hearing a lot of volunteer rescue & fire traffic on 33.90 & 33.88 in Pennsylvania, it's so nice to hear a call then be able to cross reference it with the database!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
murrayustud said:
Guys I've been listening to Missouri HP & Tennessee HP all weekend on 42.40--42.94 on various freqs in that area, too cool!I didn't realize 800 would open up like this or I'd have turned on the Pro 2096 & used the new 800mhz beam. Also hearing a lot of volunteer rescue & fire traffic on 33.90 & 33.88 in Pennsylvania, it's so nice to hear a call then be able to cross reference it with the database!

One of the many reasons why I love this time of year :D
Next time you are in Raleigh drop me an email/PM and we have to do lunch...so many years I have seen your postings here and elsewhere but we have never had a radio buff lunch :)
73's
Marshall KE4ZNR

Haley

Thanks for the replies everyone! That is a record for me in the 800mhz band! I wouldnt have thought it was possible----but all the clues add up to Ashville. Whats really strange is that I hardly ever get any 42-43mhz skip, and Mo. is right next door. I would like too know if anyone else out there is getting any 800mhz skip. Thanks again guys, Mike

blueline_308

On 2 early mornings last week, I listened to The SC Palmetto trunked system...full quieting, great signal, many diff sites. I love ducting :)

CCHLLM

But....I-73 is not near Asheville....... Nevertheless, the "skip" is playing games with several radio systems. I was at a 3800 ft elevation in our mountain home in western NC last PM and all day today, and the Spectras (uhf/vhf/800 Astro) and the Syntor (30-50) were all yapping, and I can say that with authority that things have been a bit skewed the last day or so.

Shoulda heard all the "out of system" traffic going on in various counties in western NC and SC. I can reliably copy central and western NC and SC stations most days of the year, but could hear Horry County, SC full quieting on 154.400/167.9 and the 800 systems, and several of the eastern SC Palmetto sites were quite clear today. The low band was slammed with mid-western and Central and South American traffic, and the 10 meter and 6 meter ham stuff was cookin'. I like it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.