Can you combine talk groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nx8lgary

Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I have 10 Control freq's programed in, and the page I'm looking at fomr RadioReference Database shows 22 Talk Groups. Some of the groups have 5 in a list and some have only 2 in a list. Can I combine the 2 with the 5 as one Talk Group or does that mess up the scanning?

Thanks
gh
 

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 3, 2001
Messages
11,380
Reaction score
6
Location
Lansing, MI
That question makes no sense... You'll need to try again ;>
 

kb5udf

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 7, 2004
Messages
965
Reaction score
260
Location
Louisiana
Yes, I think

If I understand your question correctly the answer is yes. Here's what I think you are asking, if a system has 10 possible control channel frequencies, and 22 talkgroups listed in the RR database, can I mix and match talkgroups from different agencies together into one scan list. For example, the PD might have 5 (you noted that number) and the FD might have 2 you want from a different 'paragraph' of the database. Sure you can do that without any issues, as long as all of these are on the same trunked system.
 

nx8lgary

Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Can I Combine Talk Groups

I have 10 Primary Frequencies. I have 22 Talkgroups, but all Talkgroups are not 10 listings. Like one Talkgroup has 5 police and 5 empty spots. Then the next talkgroup has 3 sheriff listings. Can I put the 3 sheriff listings in the police talk group and have 8 listings.

Thanks
gh
 

kb5udf

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 7, 2004
Messages
965
Reaction score
260
Location
Louisiana
Ah confusion with Terms

Ok, I think here's some of the confusion, each 'listing' as you describe it, seems to be what people usually call a 'talkgroup." Like sheriff dispatch, patrol, and car to car, would be three diff talk groups with three different talkgroup id's.

You seem to be using the term talkgroup to describe what most would consider to be a 'scanlist'

what scanner you using and what system you monitoring? (state, county, city)
 
Last edited:

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Joined
Jul 16, 2003
Messages
3,370
Reaction score
1,035
Location
West of the Atlantic Ocean
nx8lgary said:
I have 10 Primary Frequencies. I have 22 Talkgroups, but all Talkgroups are not 10 listings. Like one Talkgroup has 5 police and 5 empty spots. Then the next talkgroup has 3 sheriff listings. Can I put the 3 sheriff listings in the police talk group and have 8 listings.

Thanks
gh


It sounds to me like you are mixing up terminology.

A "talkgroup" is equivalent to a single channel on a radio. The RR database shows collections of talkgroups usually broken up by service (i.e. fire, police, ems, etc.). The term talkgroup can be confusing so, substitute channel for talkgroup and you're good to go. Most public safety users interchange the two terms anyway.

Each unique talkgroup will have its own ID number that needs to be programmed into the scanner. These numbers are listed in the RR database for whatever area trunking system you're looking at.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top