can't disable custom search

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0IY

I somehow turned on custom search and no matter what I do I can't stop it from going into custom search and locking up on noise. I have even completely reprogrammed it. Even made up a new list off RR and loaded it in telling it to wipe scanner before loading and it still goes into custom scan of conventional frequencies when I turn it on. The manual tells you how to turn them on but not off

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I somehow turned on custom search and no matter what I do I can't stop it from going into custom search and locking up on noise. I have even completely reprogrammed it. Even made up a new list off RR and loaded it in telling it to wipe scanner before loading and it still goes into custom scan of conventional frequencies when I turn it on. The manual tells you how to turn them on but not off
When one of the systems comes up, press the lockout key twice, very quickly. Or, press the Function key & lockout. Either method would make the lockout permanent. Pressing lockout only once (without also using the Function key) does only a temporary loclout. The next time the scanner is turned off, then later turned back on, the temporary lockouts are cleared and it would again scan the same searches.

I suspect that, somehow, you have turned those searches on in the software you use to program the scanner. If that's the case, then whenever you downloaded programming to the scanner, you would be turning these searches on. So, check the settings there.

In FreeSCAN, it's under "Set Scanner Options", which can be found on the Scanner drop-down menu.

Once you are in the Scanner Options window, look at the Custom Search tab.
There, you can turn these on or off, as well as specify the frequency range to search. You can also set a quick key so that, if turned off, you can enable a specific search with the QK,

Under the Service Search tab, you can direct the scanner to commonly used frequencies for various categories.

You can pick one of the listed Service Search categories, or one of the Custom Search ranges, to be accessible under the three keys on the scanner. Pressing the Function key, then keys 1, 2, or 3, turns the specified Service Search on. Here again, you have the option to leave that turned off.

While the screen looks different, you have similar options to specify custom or service searches under the Database in ProScan (with, of course, the scanner type set to the 396XT). While I don't have ARC-XT, I sure that you would have those same choices in that software as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.