SDS100/SDS200: Can't figure this one out . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I also just realized that the SDS-100 is weather sealed, and weather sealing also wreaks havoc in the DSLR and mirrorless camera world [same for point and shoot models] concerning heat dissipation and system thermal shutdowns. I do hope that the SDS-100 will shut itself down at a certain temperature, rather than heating to the point of disturbing the alloys on all the pads, joints, and through-hole components? Geeze-Louise, this gives me a panic attack just thinking about it. I am for sure buying an SDS-200, and already have plans for making it portable.
While it does too get warm, it will shut down battery charging. I have also seen my 100, on a few occasions, fail to start for a short time, till it cools off some; that's when it was left in my SUV, which gets very hot parked in the sun. But once it cools down a little, it's back to normal.

Schwartzm9039

Understood. I keep all of my electronics in a soft can cooler pack to prevent over-heating. I wrap a blue-ice in paper towel, with an over-wrap of a clean linen dish towel, and pack it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
The connectors on each board needs to be perfectly aligned or the connectors will be stressed and when the scanner gets hot, the SDS100 can get really hot, and latter cools down the connectors are forced back and forth with each temperature change. Usually in those designs they select to use a flex cable and not unmovable stiff connectors. But this is probably Unidens marine radio design that have been re-used.

/Ubbe
So we're all going to get this issue sooner or later?

Schwartzm9039

Personally, if I ever do buy an SDS-100, I would modify it to cool better, and that would mean it would no longer be weather sealed once it is drilled and opened to allow convective cooling and heat release. I would need to dismantle it fully to see where heat sink compound and other possible improvements could be made. Drilling the case is a viable option, then we just go back to the crystal radio days where we were careful about liquid intrusion. Geeze-Louise this is frustrating.

Ubbe

I have also seen my 100, on a few occasions, fail to start for a short time, till it cools off some
Upman mentioned it very early that the SDS100 has a protection circuit that shuts it off at high temperatures. It's probably a good thing that charge while scanning are defaulted to Off. The scanner are black and will build up heat quickly if exposed to direct sunlight.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.