Canton PD Interference (155.250)

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadman1977

I live in Westland and when I try to listen to Canton PD I can hear them fine but then my scanner stays on that frequency (155.250) because something is causing interference. It sounds kind of like a distance signal transmitting faint robotic noises. Does anyone else have this problem in the Westland Area (north end)?

rcvmo

I would check the following:
NO.1 LEAKY CABLES FROM CABLE TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have the same problem south of you.
If that doesn't sound like anything remotely close, does the interference sound like someone blowing into a tube? Chances are you may be picking up a distant public safety dept. that has some de-sense on their system causing the rptr to lock-up and give that hollow sound. When a storm approaches, I hear the same from an FD in Central Mi. on 154.355.
Good luck!
rcvmo

MacombMonitor

roadman1977 said:
I live in Westland and when I try to listen to Canton PD I can hear them fine but then my scanner stays on that frequency (155.250) because something is causing interference. It sounds kind of like a distance signal transmitting faint robotic noises. Does anyone else have this problem in the Westland Area (north end)?

If your radio supports CTCSS, try enabling it, and setting it to 82.5 That will most likely solve the problem.

Other Michigan & Ohio agencies licensed for 155.2500 include:

Belleview Police
Bowling Green Police
Huron Twp Police
Ohio Organized Crime
Romulus Police
Sumpter Twp Police

n8rdz

Blackhawks
Premium Subscriber
Don't forget about Flint City PD still using 155.2500 for LEIN traffic!

SCPD

QRT
Interference on 155.2500

First thing, take the antenna off the scanner. It may be a birdie in the radio that will never go away. If taking the antenna lead off makes the interference disappear, start walking the radio around the house. You may have rf interference from just about anything anymore:

Touch lamps.
PC's
leaky cable (already mentioned).
some cordless phones generate rf continously.
many other devices.

Take a ride with the scanner in the car. If getting away from the house eliminate the rf interference.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I have a friend who use to live on Sheldon south of Joy and he use to have the same problems that you are. He purchased a scanner with CTCSS decode and set it to 82.5 Hz and that eliminated the problem. Later it was determined to be a faulty cable TV connection in his neighbors yard.

Within the next year, Canton DPS plans on switching over the MPSCS and will require a digital scanner to decode their radio transmissions. This should give them much better range compared to their current systems in place for police and fire operations, but until more towers are built in western Wayne County, they plan on keeping their old VHF system. However, it will mean that you will have to procure a new scanner that can decode digital signals in order following the action in your area.

73's

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.