Cape May

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymatt1978

Are you talking COUNTY OR CITY? The COUNTY, wiith some exceptions the fire departments are on VHF.MOST of the departments dispatch on 154.1300 Cape May CITY DISPATCHES ON 154.1300 and ther firegIS , 155;800 There's no "low band"? You need ask a more direct question to get a more direct answer

de784

Feed Provider
Thanks that's what I meant vhf, so no need to program the njcis for that area

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
I completely agree with Justin in that to monitor Cape May City FD all your need to program are the VHF High Band Fire frequencies. However, if you do have a P25 Phase 2 capable scanner you may want to plug in at least the NJICS CM Fire talkgroups. Right now I am only getting down there for a week every few months but those talkgroups became active on some mutual aid fires in the Wildwoods, where the FD's are indeed on high band. Perhaps they were used to coordinate with Middle Township FD's which are on the NJICS, but I couldn't listen long enough to figure exact usage.I don't think they were patches, but I could be wrong. Also, if you do any PD monitoring, Lower Township PD is strictly on the NJICS and many do not realize their jurisdiction includes the area of the Lobster House and also those areas south of the Canal that are not part of Cape May City, Cape May Point or West Cape May.

jaymatt1978

No because they don't need to use the "Atlantic/Hammonton" site, the "Atlantic/Hammonton" site is too far north to hit. Here it is in a nutshell, besides the Cape May Sheriff, Lower Twsp, Middle Township, Stone Harbor and Wildwood Crest PD. People don't realize Cape May Point is actually Lower Township too but Cape May city covers it because well it makes sense. Belive me it took me awhile to figure it all out
Do any of those talkgroups regularly show up on the Atlantic/Hammonton site of NJICS?

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
No because they don't need to use the "Atlantic/Hammonton" site, the "Atlantic/Hammonton" site is too far north to hit. Here it is in a nutshell, besides the Cape May Sheriff, Lower Twsp, Middle Township, Stone Harbor and Wildwood Crest PD. People don't realize Cape May Point is actually Lower Township too but Cape May city covers it because well it makes sense. Belive me it took me awhile to figure it all out

Cape May Point is its own municipality, they have contracted services with Cape May City. How do you figure that it’s “actually Lower Township?”

jaymatt1978

Cape May City Fire is on 155.8880
Yes I kind of misspoke, I meant to say actually Quoting from a person who works for the City of Cape May and has lived down here all of his life because I can never explain it right"
Well The Borough of Cape May Point is a municipality but the lighthouse and Sunset Beach where the sunken ship is is Lower Township and the lighthouse located "in the point is in Lower Townshp. It's funny because part of Sunset Boulevard is in Lower Township and part of it is in West Cape Cape May and part of Lower Township
Cape May Point is its own municipality, they have contracted services with Cape May City. How do you figure that it’s “actually Lower Township?”

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
Love that area. Spent many summer weekends there with family. Off the beaten tourist path too so it's nice and quiet
Actually Cape May in summer is no longer off the beaten path or particularly quiet in season. It has recently been featured in a number of travel magazines and websites as one of the best places to visit. Several restaurants have been recognized in regional and national publications, and the Beach Plum Farm made the New York Times. With many still reluctant to fly this summer season may be the busiest ever. Many rental properties, were fully booked by January. It may be crowded at times but that is good news for the businesses and for those of use with scanners. The PD, FD, Beach Patrol and Beach Tag Checker channels provide plenty of entertainment in the busy season.

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
Interesting tid-bit of info for anybody who cares or doesn’t know.....Cape May Point and West Cape May had a combined police department for a number of years before disbanding and utilizing Cape May PD. I think they had 1 full-time officer and a number of part-time/SLEOs, I believe they were dispatched by Cape May City for PD and fire was dispatched by Lower Twp. As far as I know, the old station at the West Cape May municipal building is used as a substation/storage.

Do any of you know how Cape May PD assigns sectors for coverage outside of the city? Perhaps a full-time sector car for Cape May Point/West Cape May?

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
Interesting tid-bit of info for anybody who cares or doesn’t know.....Cape May Point and West Cape May had a combined police department for a number of years before disbanding and utilizing Cape May PD. I think they had 1 full-time officer and a number of part-time/SLEOs, I believe they were dispatched by Cape May City for PD and fire was dispatched by Lower Twp. As far as I know, the old station at the West Cape May municipal building is used as a substation/storage.

Do any of you know how Cape May PD assigns sectors for coverage outside of the city? Perhaps a full-time sector car for Cape May Point/West Cape May?
You've answered a question I've had since I noticed some Cape May PD unmarked cars at the West Cape May Muni Building. I do believe they still have a PD office there. possibly for detectives.
I do not know how they assign CMP and WCM coverage, but I doubt there is a specific sector car. We've taken many leisurely bike rides around the streets west of Broadway and the Point and can't remember seeing a PD car routinely patrolling. Every time I've been in the area when there's been a call I've seen the responding cars come from town via Sunset.

Septa3371CSX1

Do any of those talkgroups regularly show up on the Atlantic/Hammonton site of NJICS?
I do sometimes pick up Cape May County talkgroups on the Berlin site (or so it seems based on what my G5 is reading). I don't know why they'd be on that site other than the possibility of EMS units traveling to inland hospitals in Vineland and other areas.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
I do sometimes pick up Cape May County talkgroups on the Berlin site (or so it seems based on what my G5 is reading). I don't know why they'd be on that site other than the possibility of EMS units traveling to inland hospitals in Vineland and other areas.
On the flip side a month or so ago 5-COMM NJSP Troop A talkgroup came over the Cape May Simulcast for an entire day.

E106MKFD

Premium Subscriber

Which agency dispatches for Cape May Point and West Cape May Fire Departments? Does Cape May City FD dispatch since they provide some of the services to the point?

It was previously indicated that the Cape May agencies are on VHF, is that the same for Cape May Point?

jaymatt1978

Which agency dispatches for Cape May Point and West Cape May Fire Departments? Does Cape May City FD dispatch since they provide some of the services to the point?

It was previously indicated that the Cape May agencies are on VHF, is that the same for Cape May Point?
Cape May City dispatches for and provides police and ambulance services all three Cape May ,Cape May Point and West Cape May. The three have their own fire departments, Cape May (Station 51) is paid 'West Cape May (Station 57) and Cape May Point ('Station 58_ are volunteer but they ALL dispatch on 154.1300 and OPERATE on 155.8800
Just as a side note while I won't dive into the politics and will never admit this if under oath,the West Cape May municipal building has a "police substation" in the building which is a lot better facility than the police station that's part of City Hall. Seeing Cape May police cars at the West Cape May Municipal building is like seeing my scooter parked outside the Rusty Nail or Fin's or the Ugly Mug well you get my point!!!

Last edited:

E106MKFD

Premium Subscriber
With Cape May City FD now operating out of West Cape May Fire HQ due to the construction on their HQ, has their dispatch entity changed? Was listening today and it appeared they were communicating with the county and not Cape May dispatch. Not sure if this was a one off due to call location or a new dispatch protocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.