CARMA WIkipedia Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Some guy has decided that the CARMA Wikipedia page is not up to snuff and has tagged it for deletion.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Area_Radio_Monitoring_Association)

I have tried to reason with him but he won't budge. We disagree on the matter but it appears that we need to step up the source material for the article or face having it deleted.

While we all know Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information, it can generate interest and knowledge of the hobby. For this reason we should do what we can to keep the article present.

I have made some changes but I am pretty certain the guy will claim it isn't sufficient.

Please see if there is anything you can do to improve the article. It will mean more if multiple people make constructive edits.

Also, please include at the AfD page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip...ion/Chicago_Area_Radio_Monitoring_Association) in BOLD that you OPPOSE DELETION. This allows bots that look for bolded comments to see it. Remember to be respectful in your comments.

If you are so inclined you may want to check other radio hobby related pages as well and help clean them up.

Thanks!

canav844

Going to his wikipedia profile page it would seem that he has a section devoted to "Deleted pages moved to my userspace" I'm not familiar with wikipedia but that reads like motive for getting pages deleted, at lease one of them is just a page full of mostly dead end links.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Well, I guess he won. He got the page deleted by one of his buddies and then even went thru and deleted all references to it on the other pages that had links to it.

He must really feel proud.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Rich those pages aren't gone, unless the admins have cleaned out all the history logs. The deleted pages can be restored, but I would caution that the more pages that need to be restored, the more work it will be. You would need, at a minimum, the exact title of the base page(s); the linked pages can be restored when you have the base pages restored and defined.

Alternately you are certainly welcome to build CARMA pages here. Page deletion rights only exist for the admins, no one else.

Mike

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
Based on the back and forth he will just have it deleted again. I will work on the Wiki here, thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I see you have created a CARMA page - I've added the category, and bound it to the Illinois wiki article to avoid the orphan issue. I would also suggest linking it to the counties that CARMA serves most commonly - the more links you have, the greater the chances that it will be found and read. You can even put a link on the CARMA page to the county to which you have added the CARMA link. In so doing, you create a ring with spokes on a wheel, so to speak - all pointing back to the CARMA wiki page. You may link as many pages as you wish. That includes scanner information, too.

You can now create your pages by linking them off the CARMA page you have to further avoid orphan issues. Remember that if you don't link it to something, it's very hard for a perspective member to find it without doing searches.

MIke

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.