Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
So here's a weird inquiry. I know that in the future my other half is going to want a cat. Is there any special trick to get them to not want to climb on a scanner on a table or an antenna mounted to a coat rack?

Anyone here that has cats please advise! I'm trying to plan for the future.

Thanks !

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
So here's a weird inquiry. I know that in the future my other half is going to want a cat. Is there any special trick to get them to not want to climb on a scanner on a table or an antenna mounted to a coat rack?

K7MFC

WRAA720
Is there any special trick to get them to not want to climb on a scanner on a table or an antenna mounted to a coat rack?

Yep - no cats allowed in my office if I'm not also in there! Then of course they can hang out with me, but mine like to chew cords and such so I need to keep an eye on them. Otherwise the door is always closed if I'm not in there. Split loom housing and good cable management helps a lot too. "Cat repellent sprays" not so much.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
No, No... bad cat! Down!... Aren't you glad you got the hat rack instead of the floor lamp LOL. You might have to anchor the hat rack better and make sure the coax is anchored to The Table leg with Gorilla Tape which I think you already did and mount the 200 on the mobile mounting bracket and then affix the mounting bracket to the table with Gorilla Tape like I do. :LOL:

wtp

thumbtacks taped down with the points up.

my kids always get a kick when i post something that i would have done to/for them.
and if someone touches a radio the tacks go on the buttons.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have two cats. The older one can walk all over my work bench etc without disturbing anything. Has no interest in inanimate objects. The new one knocks stuff over to get attention.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I have two cats. The older one can walk all over my work bench etc without disturbing anything. Has no interest in inanimate objects. The new one knocks stuff over to get attention.

Our cat does both. It can tiptoe on our dresser and not knock anything over, but if it wants attention it will (and I've watched it do it) slowly paw something until it falls off. Cats...

RussH

I've had cats my entire life! You can train them not to do things if you start when they're young. Usually clapping your hands loud, or smack a newspaper/magazine in your hand. Real stubborn cases call for a squirt gun! :devilish:
I'll second this one...

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I guess having a real good setup in a living room area would be futile. I'd have to set up most of the radios in a closed door bedroom and use portables for around the house.
Only downside is not hearing all of them all the time ...

majoco

Stirrer
My old cat used to walk all over my keyboard while I was trying to compose a very important something if I didn't give her some attention. I was hoping someday she would type something amazing...but it never happened.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I guess having a real good setup in a living room area would be futile. I'd have to set up most of the radios in a closed door bedroom and use portables for around the house.

Well, I don't have a cat, but I can propose two options that I've been thinking of for s slightly different situation. The first is the idea of using a moveable rack or box, and closing the covers when not in use, for my application I would be using clear plexiglass covers with holes.
(keep ventilation in mind though.)

The second idea is to put all of the scanners in the same (safe) spot and adjust the volumes so they are about the same loudness for the most common things, then put a baby monitor there and just listen to the baby monitor as you roam the house.

Thanks
Joel

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

If you get a kitten and it's teething, hide the rubber ducky antennas! Honestly I never had a cat mess with my stuff, other than on years ago when we still had a corded telephone, she like to chew on the coil cord on the handset!

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
place the scanners where ever you want them. more than likely the cats will not bother them at all except to mark them with their scent. mine have never once bothered them at all as long as Ive had cats most of my life and i currently have three.
the only thing i need to do is keep the keyboard out of the cubbie on the computer table so they can sleep there near the power supplies because of the heat. one thing to remember is you don't own them they own you. enjoy them they can be very funny and very loving at times and very bad at others.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
ble or an antenna mounted to a coat rack?
If you get a kitten and it's teething, hide the rubber ducky antennas! Honestly I never had a cat mess with my stuff, other than on years ago when we still had a corded telephone, she like to chew on the coil cord on the handset!
Yup glad this was mentioned
One day I found all my handheld's antennas with tiny dots all over the tips. tiny teeth marks. The same time we had to hide all the plastic bread bags and any other plastic bags or bubble wrap around the house as we'd find all the edges torn up during the night

RFI-EMI-GUY

Double stick tape on some cardboard is a great deterrent I have used at times. One of my old cats liked to climb across the top edge of a wall mounted Sony flatscreen TV. She would hit the buttons on the top which was annoying. So I placed double stick tape from one end to the other and she stopped going there.

CrabbyMilton

Anyone here that has cats please advise! I'm trying to plan for the future.

Thanks !

I have had 5 cats in my lifetime and I never had a problem with any of them doing that.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
My 13 year old cat has never shown any interest in any of my scanners or any other electronics in the house. She'll only traverse my shack desk as a means to get to the nearby open window. Our first cat never had any interest in my radios either. The only issue I've ever heard of is that some cats my like to chew wires and cables. But neither of ours ever did that either. I wouldn't spend any time bullet-proofing your shack until the cat displays some interest in your scanners that may prove to be troublesome.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I guess my biggest worry is not necessarily the units themselves, but rather the antennas and cable wires. For example my SDS200 is connected to a mini discone and duct taped to a coat rack.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If you have an sds200 you could always put it out of sight somewhere connected to your network and use Proscan to remote into it and stream. When I'm downstairs, I use the pc upstairs to listen and control and visa versa when its upstairs.

I would be more concerned about the cat and the mini discone.

Status
Not open for further replies.