• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB base station radio options - possible SDR?

JSMachine

I'm building up a CB base station and trying to decide what radio to run. I am putting up a tower outside of my home shop that will have the antenna and it will be fed with about 50' of RG213. inside I do have a pc with two screens for my business work. This will mainly be for listening and maybe occasional transmitting here and there. I have an older cobra 25LTD and a 29LTD. Either of these would work fine with a power supply, but the issue is they don't scan or have SSB. I am also interested in the 10M band as well (I have an Extra license), which would require a different radio altogether.

Instead of scanning, Someone suggested using a SDR type setup, which I have never used. I anyone running one of these? From the way it was explained, it would give me a visual of the entire band where I could see or (possibly hear as well) if there is any activity on the entire band.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
You heard correctly. Here is a screen shot of the SDR software that I use on my SDRPlay RSPdx. This is displaying the entire (40 channel) CB band at once. It can be configured to display up to 10 mhz at a time, which would be well below and well above the legal 40 channels. The vertical lines you see are interference caused by my ethernet connection, I usually unplug it when I'm using the receiver.

0001.jpg

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
2022 was a watershed year. Any radio worth having now has NRC (Noise Reduction Circuitry). It’s not optional.

I’d always advocate AM/SSB as minimum. Scan is pretty much standard. The increase in performance is worth the coin.

IMO, should have ones automobile set up to install radio there when traveling. Use in shop till then.

Quite a range of choices. From about $200 to $400 given 10M.

This one is entry-level. Has everything needed, most nothing not.

As to preference I’d move to the Radioddity QT60 for value received.

IMG_5052.jpeg

Last edited:

JSMachine

2022 was a watershed year. Any radio worth having now has NRC (Noise Reduction Circuitry). It’s not optional.

I’d always advocate AM/SSB as minimum. Scan is pretty much standard. The increase in performance is worth the coin.

IMO, should have ones automobile set up to install radio there when traveling. Use in shop till then.

Quite a range of choices. From about $200 to $400 given 10M.

This one is entry-level. Has everything needed, most nothing not.

As to preference I’d move to the Radioddity QT60 for value received.

View attachment 165314

I have a Quad 6 in my vehicle. I don't want to remove it and put it in my shop, but I sure wouldn't mind it for the versatility. Not sure how the one you posted compares.

I just really hate to not put the 25LTD or 29LTD to use, but they really are kind of behind on the tech.

RFI-EMI-GUY

If you are going to add SDR you might look into a solution that will share your CB antenna with the SDR as well as provide overload protection for the SDR. Depending on your setup an added RF limiter might be a good idea.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
I have a Quad 6 in my vehicle. I don't want to remove it and put it in my shop, but I sure wouldn't mind it for the versatility. Not sure how the one you posted compares.

I just really hate to not put the 25LTD or 29LTD to use, but they really are kind of behind on the tech.

The one I posted is superior in all ways.