• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for advice for a new CB radio "system" for my pickup truck

niceguy71

What I didn't see mentioned, was if the OP wants just a CB, or 10/11/12 meter.

While the 5555nII/QT-60 is nice, there are nicer options, most of them smaller. Especially if FCC legal CB is wanted.
read the original post...
he has a ham license and mentions the 5555 N II and QT 60... I think he just was looking for assurance before buying the 5555 N II or QT 60 and a Stryker AR 10 magnetic mount antenna and the Driver Extreme DX901
sure looks like he did his homework and I think he's getting a great system!

wx2watch

Well, I’m anxiously awaiting the return of the UPS delivery driver… (He stopped by today while I was at work. For some reason the UPS on-line signature release authorization didn’t work and he didn’t leave me my new toys!)

I had been thinking of being an active rogue CB operator ( I can already hear the gasps from the RR audience!) but after some thought I have decided to move forward from my Technician’s license and study for my General class license. Others on this forum are saying the skip is unbelievable and in the past I’ve always enjoyed DXing on the AM broadcast band. Meanwhile, I can play with the 28.3-28.5 MHz segment.

I will be able to continue to passively monitor CB in my travels but with some real gear and also easy access to the wx band. On my previous trips I was listening to my Pro-96 with a cheap VHF antenna expecting to hear CB – needless to say that has been an exercise in futility – I was lucky if I could hear a big rig 20 feet away in the next lane.

I’ll let the group know how it goes after tomorrow – maybe a temporary setup on my 3rd floor balcony but I doubt it will be anything to write about without a ground plane.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Well, I’m anxiously awaiting the return of the UPS delivery driver… (He stopped by today while I was at work. For some reason the UPS on-line signature release authorization didn’t work and he didn’t leave me my new toys!)

I had been thinking of being an active rogue CB operator ( I can already hear the gasps from the RR audience!) but after some thought I have decided to move forward from my Technician’s license and study for my General class license. Others on this forum are saying the skip is unbelievable and in the past I’ve always enjoyed DXing on the AM broadcast band. Meanwhile, I can play with the 28.3-28.5 MHz segment.

I will be able to continue to passively monitor CB in my travels but with some real gear and also easy access to the wx band. On my previous trips I was listening to my Pro-96 with a cheap VHF antenna expecting to hear CB – needless to say that has been an exercise in futility – I was lucky if I could hear a big rig 20 feet away in the next lane.

I’ll let the group know how it goes after tomorrow – maybe a temporary setup on my 3rd floor balcony but I doubt it will be anything to write about without a ground plane.

DX SSB Skip on 11M is a real thing.
Many devotees. LSB-38, then 28 & 20.
Sixteen on Saturday.

Freeband
is its own world, too.

Performance on either during Skip an acid test of a mobile unit. Good to go on that side means Well Tested for normal operations.

One needn’t be rogue, per se, to have taken his radio rig performance out to the most challenging in operations.

When sailors talk about rig for weather is a way to think of it. Ones gear choices are crucial, but it’s attention to all details of systems which put one over the top.

Skip is bad enough that success in local comms is real gratification against paid bad actors working 365. The addition of the above is confirmation in right choices and practices.

Essentially, there’s no difference for a mobile except radio + antenna type to operate across HF.

An example is to remove the new AT6666-Pro & SIRIO 5000 and a swap with YAESU ft891 plus Texas Bugcatcher, gets underway. The rest is GTG.

IMG_6110.jpeg

I may have little interest and no ability much less the gear for HF past 11M. But what of the use of my pickup by my son, who does?

While I haven't added a House Battery system, that’s the missing link for lengthy ops given alternator amp output at extended high idle.

Stationary, not just Mobile.

Amateur Mobile Installation

I benefit in 11M by widest range of abilities in the normal courses of life.

My pickup is family leverage against a world going dark given suitable prep. (Service to my neighbors is prophylactic against sudden, unwanted change with a heads-up).

Last edited:

wx2watch

Well, I finally got around to taking my new radio for a test drive. (Slowmover, you were right about a realistic time table) – All I’ve done so far is to throw the radio on the front seat with an electrical connection to the 12 volt outlet along with the magnetic mount on the cab roof for the antenna.

I was expecting the worst regarding electrical noise, but oddly enough I don’t hear any alternator whine or fuel pump chatter, just a staticky background noise which I think is normal. Sounds the same with or with-out the engine running.

I didn’t find any ham traffic within the allocated technician frequencies so no signal reports. For that matter, I did briefly cruise the local interstate highway (I-495) hoping to hear some traffic while monitoring 27.185 MHz. Only faintly heard some loud mouth a couple of states away so I guess I am receiving.

I noticed that when I transmitted (on the ham band!) the radio displayed some kind of cryptic message (Maybe “5WRHI” – see attached photo.) Can anybody tell me what that means?

I am totally clueless and the instruction manual isn’t much help….

If there is interest, More updates to follow, as they slowly happen.

Thanks,
Johncropped PXL_20240810_181630468.jpg

niceguy71

Well, I finally got around to taking my new radio for a test drive. (Slowmover, you were right about a realistic time table) – All I’ve done so far is to throw the radio on the front seat with an electrical connection to the 12 volt outlet along with the magnetic mount on the cab roof for the antenna.

I was expecting the worst regarding electrical noise, but oddly enough I don’t hear any alternator whine or fuel pump chatter, just a staticky background noise which I think is normal. Sounds the same with or with-out the engine running.

I didn’t find any ham traffic within the allocated technician frequencies so no signal reports. For that matter, I did briefly cruise the local interstate highway (I-495) hoping to hear some traffic while monitoring 27.185 MHz. Only faintly heard some loud mouth a couple of states away so I guess I am receiving.

I noticed that when I transmitted (on the ham band!) the radio displayed some kind of cryptic message (Maybe “5WRHI” – see attached photo.) Can anybody tell me what that means?

Thanks,
JohnView attachment 167369
yes, your correct it means SWR is high..... what is the SWR of your Stryker AR 10?????
it's funny I keep reading a ton of reviews on that Stryker AR 10 antenna and almost all the reviews say how surprised they were when the antenna was just about perfect out of the box on SWR?????? guess yours wasn't.
where is the antenna placed?
I read a lot about electrical noise if you install it to the cigarette lighter.... but I have seen few Ford pick up's that had no difference from cigarette lighter or directly to the battery... I just threw mine in on my 2011 and hooked it to the cigarette lighter until I had Best Buys wire in a relay under the hood..... that went directly from the battery and shut the radio off when I shut off my key.... ( it is tired to the dash power wire and the Fords have a 10 minute delay... so when I shut my key off everything in my Ford keeps working for 10 minutes or until I open a door) really worked out great.... but I had it to the cigarette lighter plug for two weeks before I got to Best Buys and I couldn't tell you any difference in noise.

robertwbob

KE0WRU

Thanks,
JohnView attachment 167369
GET SWR DOWN BEFORE YOU FRY YOUR NEW RADIO.
plus might hear lots more too

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Need to tune antenna. Any good CB radio suffices. An, “external SWR Meter”, is inexpensive.

Antenna “length” change

Online, or a truckstop.

Instructions

I’m on AM-19 99% of the time so I focus on best at that position. Ideally, one wants Ch 1 & 40 the same or quite close (with 20 being in-between). Anything under 2.0:1 is fine, the target is 1.5:1 or less.

We all chase “noise” from coax.

Some (and sometimes, most) can be knocked down.

When that’s so one need adjust SQ & RF-G almost not at all for silence given an NRC radio set to 2-3 on RX.

I go to a nearby quiet channel to adjust those. And return to 19 knowing I quite close to being at maximum signal capture (my goal).

Last edited:

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
If the antenna is factory tuned for CB around 27.2MHz and you are transmitting in the 10M amateur band at or above 28.3MHz I would expect the VSWR to be really bad. Not sure how broad band a Stryker antenna is but if you want to run both CB and 10M with the same antenna you may need a different make/model antenna. The now out of production Laird CW27 was an excellent antenna covering below CB to above 10M amateur without any tuning and it has a very long whip for a base load at around 67". They do show up new and used on eBay and I got another new one just a few weeks ago for $33.50.

Last edited:

wx2watch

Firstly, let me thank everyone for translating my so called cryptic message. (In hindsight it makes perfect sense, don’t know why I didn’t connect the dots regarding high SWR )

I think the issue was a self inflicted wound. When I didn’t receive any RF comms on my first road trial, I brought the whole rig inside to look at on my kitchen table. I saw the SWRHI message and freaked out. I then posted my appeal for help. After receiving several messages from the ever helpful RR forum, I took the rig back outside to my vehicle and retried the experiment with the magnetic mount in place on the top of my pickup truck.

Guess what, apparently the Stryker NEEDS a ground plane! DOH….!!!

The “G” band (ham 28.3ish MHZ) then showed a 1:2 ratio on the internal SWR meter – certainly not perfect, but not too bad for a 1st attempt ( And, most importantly – NO HISWR warning message.) Of course I then had to satisfy my curiosity about 27.185 MHz – the meter just barely moved which would seem to indicate a “very good” SWR ratio. (So, for now, I’ll just use the Stryker antenna and consider getting a dedicated ham frequency in the near future.)

I then went looking for a traffic jam on the local interstate highway and did hear comms from people who were stuck in the gridlock and were looking for a reason as to why traffic sucked so badly on a non-holiday weekend…. Just the nature of the beast up here in the Boston vicinity!

Thanks again to everyone for the help and suggestions!

Attachments

• 27_185 SWR.jpg
    27_185 SWR.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 9
  • G band.jpg
    G band.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 10

niceguy71

Firstly, let me thank everyone for translating my so called cryptic message. (In hindsight it makes perfect sense, don’t know why I didn’t connect the dots regarding high SWR )

I think the issue was a self inflicted wound. When I didn’t receive any RF comms on my first road trial, I brought the whole rig inside to look at on my kitchen table. I saw the SWRHI message and freaked out. I then posted my appeal for help. After receiving several messages from the ever helpful RR forum, I took the rig back outside to my vehicle and retried the experiment with the magnetic mount in place on the top of my pickup truck.

The “G” band (ham 28.3ish MHZ) then showed a 1:2 ratio on the internal SWR meter – certainly not perfect, but not too bad for a 1st attempt ( And, most importantly – NO HISWR warning message.) Of course I then had to satisfy my curiosity about 27.185 MHz – the meter just barely moved which would seem to indicate a “very good” SWR ratio. (So, for now, I’ll just use the Stryker antenna and consider getting a dedicated ham frequency in the near future.)

I then went looking for a traffic jam on the local interstate highway and did hear comms from people who were stuck in the gridlock and were looking for a reason as to why traffic sucked so badly on a non-holiday weekend…. Just the nature of the beast up here in the Boston vicinity!

I know you wanted a new CB radio system for your pick-up... I'm surprised you're playing on the ham band? have you done the conversion yet? I think that radio and antenna will kick some serious butt!
if you we're closer to Cape Cod I'd see if I could catch you on my base some night.
if your ever on side band and hear 155 in Massachusetts that'll be me.

robertwbob

KE0WRU

i, glad we got you steered out oif a rut. enjoy your radio