• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for advice for a new CB radio "system" for my pickup truck

jcrmadden

I have a thread over on the Tacoma forums

Can you toss a link my way? I'd love to see what you had going on with that fuel pump

Behind me would never work for me .... I just need to see it and fiddle with it especially on sideband ..

I don't do a ton of fiddling, but I can reach everything easy enough. I've got the knobs mapped out in my head for no look adjustments. Gain and squelch are thus tuned by ear. Meter gets a quick glance occasionally, albeit a glance away from the road (obviously not ideal). Need longer leads to mount elsewhere.

KIMG2542~2.JPG

Not the best picture, but it's what I can do with a left hand, overhead, no-look shot...

jcrmadden

I think that long version will be in your wife's SUV or your base station soon and I see your wife buying you the 6666 PRO for Chistmas

It will be migrating to her ride, but I got my heart set on the President Washington.
I'm really intrigued by the relay function.
Randy in hand to reach the mobile.
Hopped up mobile relaying back to base.
How many air miles we talking?
Perfect install at both ends? 20+?
Let's hope there's a Randy 3 in the stocking! 🤣

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior

That’s one great thread. The quality of discussion was impressive, and the range of what components & possible actions to take would be very good as starting points to learn any similar vehicle. Thanks for inclusion.

I best liked pulling the bed and laying a steel sheet over the offender.

The vids showing the amount of hash (with 718 ICOM) is inexcusable. Even Toyota affected by DEI it appears. But my personal take any longer is that it’s intentional. A favorable byproduct.

So, is PWM control of a three-phase, brushless fuel pump on a non-return system the correct description?

The only thing similar on my early CommonRail CumminsTurboDiesel is PWM control of the engine cooling fan. There’s a Ford mechanical clutch fan workaround not terribly expensive, it’s age that’s worked havoc even for diligent owners. (MY 2003-2005; in main). Not a noise source I’ve tested, the pickup isn’t at all bad for CB. But it isn’t dead-quiet in the way I’d imagine an Amateur Operator would desire.

My attempt at getting operators to ensure quiet 12V in big truck (any road vehicle) I may already have posted here; those things you did (and more) prior to your thread in the link.

Tested CLEAN 12VDC is, IMO, the best step to get out of the way at the beginning.

Last edited:

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
I
That’s one great thread. The quality of discussion was impressive, and the range of what components & possible actions to take would be very good as starting points to learn any similar vehicle. Thanks for inclusion.

I best liked pulling the bed and laying a steel sheet over the offender.

The vids showing the amount of hash (with 718 ICOM) is inexcusable. Even Toyota affected by DEI it appears. But my personal take any longer is that it’s intentional. A favorable byproduct.

So, is PWM control of a three-phase, brushless fuel pump on a non-return system the correct description?

The only thing similar on my early CommonRail CumminsTurboDiesel is PWM control of the engine cooling fan. There’s a Ford mechanical clutch fan workaround not terribly expensive, it’s age that’s worked havoc even for diligent owners. (MY 2003-2005; in main). Not a noise source I’ve tested, the pickup isn’t at all bad for CB. But it isn’t dead-quiet in the way I’d imagine an Amateur Operator would desire.

I was extremely impressed with many of the engineer types that were really in tune with the issue and technical options to remedy. There was no pocket protector swinging going on.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
I

I was extremely impressed with many of the engineer types that were really in tune with the issue and technical options to remedy. There was no pocket protector swinging going on.

Means you’re the one, anointed.
Not a coincidence.

I’ve had a few experiences like it.
I realized it wouldn’t happen without me.
Hope it lights the fire for you.

“Success” has many forms.

Please recapitulate in a new thread on the Install sub-forum. It’ll bait the right hook here at RR. (The description for which I asked above ought to somehow be part of the thread title).

Not everyone here — by a long shot — has the familiarity shown in that linked thread with these problems. Success to me would be getting that ball rolling.

Now to tweak your tail: I’ve owned my CTD 17-years. Has about a quarter-million. Weighs 8,700-lbs in daily driver configuration. The 2019 Tacoma
FUELLY records show an Average MPG just slightly lower than mine (I’m good).

If frustration ends the experiment, there will be substitute vehicles which will satisfy.

Last edited:

jcrmadden

Yeah, where's the paper bag hyperventilating emoji when you really need it... I'm continuously reminded that I'm too retarded to even understand how much I don't understand...

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Yeah, where's the paper bag hyperventilating emoji when you really need it... I'm continuously reminded that I'm too retarded to even understand how much I don't understand...

I didn’t say I did, so much. But have learned to follow discussions where components are involved as being easier to slice & dice versus where “theory” intrudes and it turns into death by math.

There are only so many fixes for RF. Unlike, say, antenna theory where modeling comes in and variables get weird.

@prcguy comments that antenna theory is well-understood, that antennas themselves are “dumb”. From that I’ll take that claims can be spurious as to performance. That for me how well it holds together (construction quality) is that on which I’ll focus as the last bits of performance aren’t going to matter to me.

FWIW, once I felt the nudge to take 11M and my role in it seriously it was in reading — and re-reading — that got me along over time. A year or more in and I could go back to an earlier 78-post thread where participants were going off on tangents to the thread main question and it made sense (not that I could jump into the pit with them).

I linked you to a SMITH CHART .pdf. Yeah, the woods get dense, fast. Nano VNA to the rescue. “My” antenna system says this. I can get those definitions and get a start since I have proper motivation in a concrete situation which matters to me.

Allen Applegate has (for me) the key ring to locks:

Mobile Install

I’ve read that a dozen times, easily, over the past six years. GIVES MY HANDS WORK TO PERFORM.

THAT is what for which I read.

There get to be keyboard warriors, everyone is susceptible, so it’s a matter of the mobile system itself.

The instrument use in the thread linked (for me) takes things (CAN take things) past where it matters to me.

But the level of sophistication they offer (Nano VNA) puts me well-ahead of where I’d be without them. Cumulative, successful, changes. So long as I’m willing to also accept my mistakes and start over. (Why I need one. I “know” I’m doing pretty well, so now I need the numbers to arrange against each other).

It’s expensive to be kinda stoopid.
But it beats the dogshot out of video-games, etc. It’s real.

Everyone has noise problems. Amateur just likes to dial theirs higher & wider than chicken banders.

CB has to be seen in its dynamic environment to be relevant as driver attention is taking in tons of visual info at high speed. Strangers, brothers-in-concerns-shared. There are very few at my level of competence, then.

The nuances of meanings (that’s my distillation).

1). I share the concern of a high noise floor.
2). I’m interested in cutting it back (physical application).
3). I’m willing to run with “solutions”.

There are very few GREAT mobile systems.
There are MANY good to very good (my goal).

I’m hearing men that others around me — loud & proud — have no clue are on-air. They only hear me . . .
I’m on the right track.

Last edited:

wx2watch

Well, a quick FYI to let everyone know that I have indeed “dropped the nickel” for my 10 meter ham radio system.

Wow, I gained much more info than I had expected. The input from ALL respondents on all perspectives was greatly appreciated!

It will probably take me a couple of weeks of procrastinating before I’m finished with the installation but hopefully it will be a clean installation whereby I would be proud to share some pictures as well as a brief report on the performance or headaches I encounter.

(Also, looking forward to monitoring the 11 meter band while traveling. For now, I will be using a roof top mag mount for the antenna.)

Can’t wait to see if I’ll be having issues from the fuel pump – hah, hah, guess I better study up on toroids!

Thanks again,
John

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Well, a quick FYI to let everyone know that I have indeed “dropped the nickel” for my 10 meter ham radio system.

Wow, I gained much more info than I had expected. The input from ALL respondents on all perspectives was greatly appreciated!

It will probably take me a couple of weeks of procrastinating before I’m finished with the installation but hopefully it will be a clean installation whereby I would be proud to share some pictures as well as a brief report on the performance or headaches I encounter.

(Also, looking forward to monitoring the 11 meter band while traveling. For now, I will be using a roof top mag mount for the antenna.)

Can’t wait to see if I’ll be having issues from the fuel pump – hah, hah, guess I better study up on toroids!

Thanks again,
John

A couple of weeks would be like lightning.

I started two years ago.

niceguy71

Thanks again,
John
which one did you get???
the new short version at a good price??
the old long version dirt cheap! ????
or the new 6666 PRO for the big bucks????

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
my radio of choice,and i got a same as new anytone 6666 its ok.not great. had em both at the bench. the 955 always gets a DAMM YOU SOUD GREAT N LOUD N CLEAR the 6666 i get you sound ok

See post on SR76 mic a ways down Page Two:

Getting any mic “right” is SOP for any radio.