Cederic Benson Arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montz816

Emergency Communications
Premium Subscriber
I have been hearing a lot of criticism about LCRA Rangers and chose to vent and see what everyone has to say about this. We go though more training than most municipalities just in the law enforcement area we get and provide more training in Marine Safety Enforcement we are the go to agency for Marine Safety Enforcement Officer (MSEO) Certification . When a lawyer comes out at us and states we are a sub standard agency which is reckless in out ventures is a harsh claim which is unfounded. No one seems to realize that Mr. Benson resisted arrest and was found to be intoxicated behind a wheel. All of our Officers are not trying to find someone to take in to ruin a day on the lake but at the same time we will stop a person before they kill a family or a child. I as a Police Officer and Certified MSEO know for a fact that if I was found alone with a larger person with a boat full of others I would spray the person without hesitation. All of my guys are great Officers and have great respect for all of out guests in our pars or on our lakes. What does everyone think about this and does anyone have any experiences with us on boat inspections or any other event?:roll:

rbarker

Robert
Cedric Benson arrested for BWI;

Interesting sequence of events. I have no issues at all with LCRA and I think they are completely professional but it will be very interesting to see how this case plays out. According to this morning's Statesman Newspaper, Benson has been stopped 6 times in 18 months. The attorney is interviewing the 10 passengers/witnesses that were on the boat including Benson's own mother. The boat's engine was off but it was not anchored, it was drifting. Benson was not behind the wheel, and was at the back of the boat when he was stopped. So it may get down to the definition of what constitutes "operating" the boat as to how it applies to BWI and what was actually happening. What makes it interesting that Benson seems to be a bit "above the law". When last sentenced to jail time he showed up and was told that the jail was full, and that his time would be counted as being served. I had never in my life heard of that and never heard of anyone in Travis Co that it ever happened to.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
rbarker said:
...What makes it interesting that Benson seems to be a bit "above the law". When last sentenced to jail time he showed up and was told that the jail was full, and that his time would be counted as being served. I had never in my life heard of that and never heard of anyone in Travis Co that it ever happened to.
As George Orwell's pigs (Animal Farm, 1945) commented, "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
This is the case with Travis County jail. When the jail is full, non-violent offenders are released and given credit for time served. This typically applies to those serving sentences on over the weekend. If you are given ten days, or thirty days, etc. in jail you can serve it three days at a time over the weekend. If the jail is full you will can be released and get credit for all three days. There is also something like a two to one ratio for good behavior, like two days counts as three.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
To me, it's just another series in typical NFL football player behavior these days. Makes me wonder what jail they'd be in without the sport.

af5rn

rbarker said:
I had never in my life heard of that and never heard of anyone in Travis Co that it ever happened to.
I have never in my life heard of Cedrick Benson. But if he is an NFL player, he's guilty. Fry him.

n5ims

I guess he just wanted to be traded to the Dallas Cowboys. A conviction is a requirement now days. it appears.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
af5rn said:
I have never in my life heard of Cedrick Benson. But if he is an NFL player, he's guilty. Fry him.

College - University of Texas Running Back
NFL - Chicago Bears Running Back

Montz816

Emergency Communications
Premium Subscriber
I feel that in the eyes of the law no person should be above punishment. As for CB he started acting all nice and polite while in TCSO Custody but not too many people know that CB's lawyer was at TCSO Booking before we were. Does anyone think this is kinda funky?

rbarker

Robert
Chicago Bears and former University of Texas running back Cedric Benson was arrested and charged with drunken driving in downtown Austin, police said.

Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga said Benson was stopped overnight at 5th and Colorado Streets for a traffic violation and refused a breathalyzer and blood test. He was arrested and taken to the Travis County Jail.

The arrest comes a month after Benson was arrested on Lake Travis on charges of boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest, both class B misdemeanors. Those cases are still pending.

Benson was a first-round Bears draft pick in 2005 and started 11 games last season for the team. At the University of Texas, he was a four-year starter and ranks as the school’s second all-time rusher with 5,540 yards.

Montz816

Emergency Communications
Premium Subscriber
So I guess this is a pattern and shows that he is not the kind loveable huggy bear that his mom paints him as.

Status
Not open for further replies.