Cell phone frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The original BC210 scanner has a 2kHz tone detector circuit to squech the receiver when listening to an old IMTS mobile phone repeater. It was used to ignore the continuous 2kHz idle tone on the repeater when no call was in progress. It made it easy to scan 152MHz VHF and 454MHz UHF IMTS repeaters.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk
Good recall, I love my Electra Bearcat 210 I got in 1978. It was the first programmable radio with a keyboard replacing the famous Bearcat 101 programmable radio. It was great for mobile telephone reception.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So why would it not be effective to ban listening to telephone conversations, that should put an end to it immediately just like it has with guns and drugs. Right?

Okay okay just kidding, let's not go there. I had to say it

We are monitors by nature. If we can hear it we're going to monitor it. That's what we do.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
We are monitors by nature. If we can hear it we're going to monitor it. That's what we do.
Older scanners, such as the PRO-2006, had workarounds like cutting diodes to allow continuous coverage of the 800 MHz spectrum. There were also converters available that converted the prohibited frequencies to be received on a band within the scanners legal range.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Older scanners, such as the PRO-2006, had workarounds like cutting diodes to allow continuous coverage of the 800 MHz spectrum. There were also converters available that converted the prohibited frequencies to be received on a band within the scanners legal range.
See post #31.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
If I might for a second, Dan, check my new thread on the PA forum, I think you will have something to say.

Excuse me folks, now back on topic...

n1das

Haha! I had all the 49 MHz channels programmed in to my scanner in those days. I'd monitor them daily. We're sort of a digital version of peeping toms! :eek:
I would say we are simply observing what's taking place publicly as it happens. Radio listeners are not being nosey. It is the people who do the transmitting that are being exhibitionists in public.

robertwbob

KE0WRU
Rs pro 2046 i got was 1 of the first 2046 sold.i listened to some calls that made me money.i drove a truck my truck leased to a guy.he never was honest with pay rates 5 loads from same place paid 5 diffrent rates,friend rate ,close friend rate,his truc rate,his disliked lessor rates and outside rates.we be setting waiting to unload id write what he paid every truck.if i got short end of stick id say wait let me look,oh you said yesterday it pays a dollar a ton more.he would mumble then say oh yes guess it did laugh n say my oppsie.dont think he ever figured it out.
Then 1 nite goin through tulsa amongst all the booty calls i heard a huge dope deal
happen.
Oh spell tulsa backwards too

jjbond

Banned
Banned
We are talking about a long long long time ago. Original mobile phones which used an operator in the VHF high band were clearly monitored all the time and could be heard very easily.

Portable phones in the home also could be monitored very easily just like a baby monitor could be.

Cell phone conversations can't be monitored now as simply as they were then and they were random and anonymous and often you could not hear both sides of the conversation because it wasn't a trunked radio.

No worries, it's not being done now unless a warrant is obtained.... Or is it? Hahaha.

Vancouver answering........ Vancouver answering......... Vancourver clear..... those were the days...

I was an Autotel, Glenayre, MTS/IMTS installer in rural BC for a number of years, also installed marine radio as well as these on fish farms off the BC coast, in logging trucks, in remote logging villages north of Lund/Powell River... was fun.

CHAPTER 11

Spil1.JPG

Last edited:

jjbond

Banned
Banned
People think that cell is so new and few know anything in the way of mobile tel even existed prior to that, of those, even fewer realize just how far back the service does go....

2019-07-07_14-02-44.jpg

n1das

Not cell phone related but sort of a related funny story.

As I have posted in the GMRS/FRS forum, I moved my local on-site simplex type use from GMRS/FRS to 900MHz using Motorola DTR and DLR series 900MHz FHSS digital radios. They are marketed for on-site digital small business use but they are excellent radios for consumer use too. Anybody can buy them. A coworker once asked me why not just use FRS? My answer was that I have already been doing that for many years and I want an all digital solution that is higher quality and more professional than FRS. I don't use GMRS/FRS at all anymore because the DTRs and DLRs work so well. They are not monitorable on any consumer grade receiver (i.e., scanner). While technically not encrypted, they can be made very secure. We regularly use a private talkgroup that I created in the programming instead of the default public groups.

The funny part is I have already had a case where somebody tried to monitor us and failed. My wife and I were using our Motorola DTR radios at a ham flea market and she had gone to get some food while I was elsewhere on the fairgrounds. She was talking to me on the radio to find out where I was when someone at a table asked her what frequency we were using. Since she didn't know, she told me over the radio that somebody was asking her what frequency we were on. I said over the radio that they are digital radios operating on the 902-928MHz band and using FHSS. The guy asking her about them said "Ohh...So that's why I can't find you on my spectrum analyzer!!" LOL. He was looking for a strong narrowband signal to pop up somewhere in the 450-470MHz or 800MHz part of the spectrum. Our transmissions were hiding in plain sight among a lot of other stuff transmitting in the 902-928 band.

So while no scanners can hear our FHSS digital radios, I have actually have had a case where somebody knowledgeable about radio wanted to and tried to listen to us but was unable to do so.

Last edited:

n1das

I miss the old analog air to ground phone calls 454Mhz, Heck I even hear a Vice President on board AF2 400-415 Mhz ish WACA.
I remember those too. I was in Hanover NH and hearing an air mobile call from an airplane somewhere over the Chicago area. I was hearing the airplane side of the conversation on the 459MHz input to the 454MHz repeater somewhere on the ground. The airplane had to be well above 30k ft altitude. I was hearing it on my BC210 scanner on just the whip antenna. The signal was weak and scratchy and in and out but monitorable just enough to figure out what it was.

I remember some good listening to the VP's plane on 415.7MHz. All analog and in the clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.