Cell phone frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech1

The first generation of cordless phones were 1.6mhz for the Base and 49mhz for the handset. I used to listen to my neighbor up the street.
The mobile telephones were on Low, High and UHF bands. I have a list of the original frequencies and now a days all cell phone calls are digital.

robertwbob

KE0WRU
Cell phones are a sore a&& subject today.my phone was warrentied today,so far since i got it home at 11 am its done 9 updates rendering it useless for 7 hours and it says it needs 1 more update that will take approxamitly 45 minutes. I called phone company with my other phone,we had a heated discussion . I know i will loose they are big.it should been updated and ready.
And sadly its not working much better than what it replaced

majoco

Stirrer
Our work shift crew used to have a lunch at a cafe/bar in town on Fridays which was also frequented by a load of 'suits' who often would talk on their cellphones inside the bar. One of the gang had an early scanner that could receive the 900MHz band and if one of the 'suits' was getting too obnoxious our guy would find the frequency, turn it up loud and put the receiver on the table. Of course, the offensive 'suit' didn't know as he could already hear both sides of the conversation - and so could we.... :eek:

D

DaveNF2G

Looks like I should have kept my mouth shut about the cellular frequency capability of the SDRUno software. They "fixed" it with the latest update.

SDRuno – SDRplay

The software and hardware can still tune those frequencies. They cannot be scanned with the new scan feature, which brings the software into compliance with ECPA and TDDRA. The block was not necessary for a non-scanning SDR (by one interpretation of the law).

AC9BX

The whole blocking thing is/was mostly moot. Before 1986 the broadcast TV band went to 890Mhz, the top of channel 83. In 1983 internationally that was changed and the band ended at 806MHz, channel 69. One could easily use their TV set, choose channels 80 to 83 on their mechanical analog TV tuner, adjust the fine tuning, and hear phone calls. Those tuners continued to be used for a decade or more even though TV didn't go there since the design worked and there were warehouses full of them. Frequency shifting, although designing for UHF can be tricky, is not a difficult thing. If one really wanted to they could build a converter to shift 870Mhz down to a range their radio supported. It's a common practice today, HF upconverters for Realtek dongles for example.
Of course in 2009 the TV band was shortened to 698MHz, channel 51, and will soon be shortened again to 608MHz, channel 36. (In the USofA)

Status
Not open for further replies.