CES vs Uniden

cg

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully the sale of the company wasn't with the intention of breaking it up and eventually selling off the bits and pieces like seem to happen too often but was to support and improve the products.
Would be nice if he were invited and sat down with The Scanner Guys or RadioReference brass.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I am also wondering what the future of Uniden Scanners will be. I received this email this morning:

For those that may not be aware, Cornwall Capital purchased Uniden Corporation, has taken the company private, and most of Uniden's operations are being moved from Japan to the U.S.

Cornwall has a fascinating and impactful investment history and their ownership of Uniden, we are sure, is going to be great for the company, the consumers, and the industry as a whole.

Suffice it to say, big things are coming down the pike.

2023 is shaping up to be an exciting year for the Uniden and RadarBusters relationship and we couldn't be happier.

We sit down with Kip Sullivan, the new President of Uniden America to discuss what's in their future.

Kip is a Uniden veteran of three decades and is simply wonderful to know as are the new owners, so rest assured, the stewardship of Uniden is in good hands.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I am unimpressed. The Uniden President essentially said nothing, while the interviewer just prattled on about how great a move this is. Vague references to new products and updates.

Like cg i wonder if the new owners will gut the company in order to increase profitability. We should know fairly quickly if they plan to improve support for their scanner customer base.

Nothing about scanners, but still interesting.

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
I am unimpressed. The Uniden President essentially said nothing, while the interviewer just prattled on about how great a move this is. Vague references to new products and updates.

Like cg i wonder if the new owners will gut the company in order to increase profitability. We should know fairly quickly if they plan to improve support for their scanner customer base.
I speak as someone who is well-versed in practices attendant to M&A (Mergers & Acquisitions). Uniden Corp will be sliced, diced and pureed with those portions which are deemed to be marginally profitable being sold off....to who knows who. Given the level of Uniden's development of new scanner related products, I suspect the scanner division will be up on the block.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Which is what I expect. Cerberus sliced, diced, and gutted Chrysler when they bought them. They did much the same to Remington and several other firearms companies. Bain Capital also has that reputation.

A software company my former agency did business with for about
15 years was bought out by a competitor. Within two years the product we used was discontinued as was support. The new owner wanted the client list, not the product. They endeavored to force the users of the old program to transition. As it happened, my former agency figured that if they had to buy a new product, they might as well put it out to bid.

I speak as someone who is well-versed in practices attendant to M&A (Mergers & Acquisitions). Uniden Corp will be sliced, diced and pureed with those portions which are deemed to be marginally profitable being sold off....to who knows who. Given the level of Uniden's development of new scanner related products, I suspect the scanner division will be up on the block.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I know some won't like my opinion, but this IS the internet, so I get to share it:

I think most of us can see the writing on the wall. Like it or not...
While it's easy to assume that scanner listening is a huge hobby, you gotta remember we are in a bit of a concentration of users right here.
Get out in the general public, and if you asked someone what a scanner was, they'd assume you were talking about their printer at home.

Add in encryption, and there's going to be less of a market.

Audio streaming, less of a reason for individuals to buy their own scanner if someone else is providing what they need online.

SDR's are biting into the market. Why buy a $700 scanner when someone can get a $20 USB stick. Yes, I know, You know, but average consumer doesn't.

There's a lot of individuals that assume a $20 Baofeng is -the- perfect scanner. Plus, they get to transmit, because some guy on the internet told them it was OK, and don't forget the preppers….

Uniden hasn't done much in the last few years. No new products being announced. They sort of lost their steam when Paul passed.
Whistler sort of dropped out. No new products from them.

I think you can see where I'm going with this….
If anyone had the money to buy that part of Uniden, they'd need to do some serious research and consider the gamble. There's probably some really good reasons why there aren't any new products in the pipe.

And before I get flamed, I got my start in the hobby and the industry with a scanner, a CB and an old shortwave radio. It was a fun hobby. No way I'd personally invest in a scanner today.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Considering that Uniden. Is pretty much the only scanner manufacturer left, I think that portion of the business will continue. In fact, Uniden is pretty much the leader in most of their product lines, scanners, FMRS/GMRS, VHF marine radios, radar detectors, CB radios.

CB radios are kind of dying even with the quieter FM mode now permitted. I don't know anyone with a radar detector now. Fmrs/GMRS seems stable as does the marine vhf market both of which Uniden seems to have a large slice of the market.

I can see Uniden merging with someone like Garmin. I can see Uniden consolidating their operations and dropping some products and perhaps expanding some products also.

But I also have to admit, the haydays of scanner hobbiests and CB enthusiasts seem to be long gone.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
This is bizzare... Scroll down to the bottom,,,
Look what scanner is shown on the left side...

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
This is bizzare... Scroll down to the bottom,,,
Look what scanner is shown on the left side...

I don’t believe that website is associated with The Whistler Group.