CES vs Uniden

dkscan

Patent rights would stop anyone from doing that, or Uniden to adopt their technology or even use the best things from Whistler scanners.

/Ubbe
And even if someone could acquire the rights, the cost of development and starting up production would never pay off.
Even established companies like Whistler have made that conclusion and that is probably also causing Uniden not to show anything scanner related on CES.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Reasons why the "scanner" market is at the end of its rope:
  1. Expense: if they're $600 today, with necessary tech changes they'll be $1000 tomorrow;
  2. Technologically TOO advanced: the days of taking a radio out of the box, plugging it in, turning it on, and listening are over; that can be seen by the number of people who post here saying, "I just bought a scanner....and I need someone to program it for me," which is then followed by a dozen or so post from others trying to explain, in words, how "easy" it is to do it yourself, with terms that even I've never heard before, only to find out that the area the poster wants programed is.....
  3. Encrypted;
  4. Local restrictions.
And there are those who are "shocked...SHOCKED..." that Uniden isn't pushing scanners at CES.

Get over it.....

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
Reasons why the "scanner" market is at the end of its rope:
  1. Expense: if they're $600 today, with necessary tech changes they'll be $1000 tomorrow;
  2. Technologically TOO advanced: the days of taking a radio out of the box, plugging it in, turning it on, and listening are over; that can be seen by the number of people who post here saying, "I just bought a scanner....and I need someone to program it for me," which is then followed by a dozen or so post from others trying to explain, in words, how "easy" it is to do it yourself, with terms that even I've never heard before, only to find out that the area the poster wants programed is.....
  3. Encrypted;
  4. Local restrictions.
And there are those who are "shocked...SHOCKED..." that Uniden isn't pushing scanners at CES.

Get over it.....
As to your post:

1) Taking a quick look through my1990s Monitoring Times and Popular Communications magazines, it became apparent that a top of the line scanner was priced out at $500.00. So, $600.00 in today's dollars for the Rolls Royce in scanning receivers is, after all things considered, is not an inordinate price.
2) You are correct.
3) Sadly enough, you are correct on that point also,
4) Well, yes and no. You can monitor from your home and if in doubt, get your Ticket. But in some jurisdictions, you simply cannot have a monitoring receiver in your vehicle (unless you have your "Ticket") and public safety just about everywhere looks down upon scanner enthusiasts who appear at public safety incidents with scanner in hand.

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
Patent rights would stop anyone from doing that, or Uniden to adopt their technology or even use the best things from Whistler scanners.

/Ubbe
Patent rights can be assigned. The question is: At what price?

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
Have y’all priced a Uniden R8 radar detector? Right around $700 is the street price.
Funny, I just did last week because this thread piqued my curiosity. I was like holy crap. Then I read some reviews and they all said it's good but too much $$$.

Scanning: Uniden has been reduced to operational sales and support of their existing products. If anyone can't see this by now...

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Just curious did Uniden ever show a scanner at CES , if so when was the last time?
Tim :cool:

garys

Premium Subscriber
The last few years he was active and able to attend UPMan said that they would not have a both at CES, but would have a suite and allow people to enter by invitation only. I think this is the first time since he died that Uniden had a booth.

I don't know if that answers your question directly, but at least gives some insight.

Just curious did Uniden ever show a scanner at CES , if so when was the last time?

mitbr

2005 well I don't think we can tell much about new scanners if they haven't attended CES since then.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Think I will stick with and take my chances with Waze.
I don't drive fast any more so these products don't attract me. However, when I was younger, I found myself speeding more because I had a radar detector.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Have y’all priced a Uniden R8 radar detector? Right around $700 is the street price.

I've found it cheaper not to speed.

There's plenty of posts about these 'dream' scanners where it's a combination of Motorola/Harris/Military/Public Safety/Consumer Scanner.
Usually hobbyists wanting extreme battery run time, super rugged, cop looks/sound, and performance.

I think the SDS was the end of the scanner progression in the traditional sense.
Anything new is going to be SDR and a small Raspberry Pi type setup in a box. Build/download your own software.

The bell is tolling for the consumer scanner….

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Taking a quick look through my1990s Monitoring Times and Popular Communications magazines, it became apparent that a top of the line scanner was priced out at $500.00.

But, in 1990, you didn't HAVE to buy a 'top-of-the-line' scanner, like you do today. "Digital" & "trunking" were in their infancy, and "simulcast" wasn't a problem. A simple, hand-held, programmable, radio did rather well, at a substantially lower price.

Yet, how many times here on RR have we read posts from "newbies" asking what kind of radio they should buy, only to be advised that, if they wanted to prepare for any future radio system advancements in their area, they should lay out the money for an SDS radio, whether they need it or not, essentially saying, if you don't pay the $600 and pay for a cheaper radio instead, you're wasting your money.

At some point, these "newbies" will be getting the same advice, but the $600 may have a '1' in front of it. However, I don't think the market will tolerate such massive increases in prices for something that has a limited use by an even more limited consumer base.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
And people will recall the SDS100 (at least) ultimately as an abandoned product with numerous hardware issues, much like AOR's recent fiasco. What a lasting memory...

garys

Premium Subscriber
They attended, but they didn't have a booth on the exhibit hall floor. Private previews of new product to select invitees.

Having gone to many (non electronic) trade shows over the years I can tell you that there is much more business conducted in the suites than on the exhibit hall floor.

2005 well I don't think we can tell much about new scanners if they haven't attended CES since then.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
What you all are forgetting.
My Uniden Analog 8500 Cost $400 Late 1980's early 1990's
My 1st Radioshack 2067 COST $500 Late 1980's early 1990's
My 1st Radioshack 2096 COST $500 Late 1980's early 1990's
My 1st Radioshack 92 COST $500 Late 1980's early 1990's
My 1st Radioshack 96 COST $500 Late 1980's early 1990's
My 1st Uniden 436 COST $500
My 1st Uniden 536 COST $500
My 1st Uniden SDS100 COST $600
My 1st Uniden SDS200 COST $650

bearcatrp

Unidont. Good name for them these days Since they don’t update their current radios. Tempting to sell both of my unidont radios and stick with my Icom receivers that work almost as good as the unidont radios.