CES vs Uniden

ten13

Premium Subscriber
These are complex devices. I'm glad they are, because if they were overly simple I wouldn't own one. I want that level of control. I want the ability to adjust filter settings, for example, and change modes, channel spacing, etc. That's all good, as far as I'm concerned.

That, among the other posts saying basically the same thing, proves a valid point about all this:

More than HALF, if not 75%, of the present owners, and potential owners, of an SDS radio, have no idea what you're talking about. And they don't have the ability....nor interest....to learn all that. "Complex" is not a word they want to hear or read.

And of those potential owners, there's little doubt that many will eventually vote 'no' about buying one.

So what kind of consumer base does that leave Uniden? And if they want to get the profit that they want and need, just what price do they charge for their "next generation" of radios? And do they make it MORE "complex" in order to keep the techies happy?

Most "enthusiasts" want to buy a radio to listen to their local FD, EMS, PD, railroad, etc., and act on what they hear on the radio, either as a volunteer or even paid positions, or media. The radio itself is not purchased as a new "toy" to play with with software and other technology, so they can announce, with great glee, locating a "new talk group," even without hearing any "voice" on it at all.

This whole "thing of ours" is turning a big corner right now. Get ready for what you may NOT see after you turn that corner.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
If unidont tries to fix the software, would be nice if using the zip code scanning, the scanner with say 10 miles of zip code would identify all frequencies within those 10 miles, look at what services are selected, then put all those frequencies in a temporary bank and scan those frequencies only instead of scanning there entire database and skipping over what’s not selected in the services selected.
Since that's what it already does, then I guess your "wish" came true... Years ago!

Hooligan

The last thing we want to do is exit the Scanner Category. Paul Opitz was a huge loss and irreplaceable. I've been back six weeks but know how important in my 15 years at Uniden this category is. I will be going to Japan with two new product managers we hired away from Cobra to meet with Engineering Japan on development of new scanners. Be patient and we did not buy the company to do anyhting but capitiaze on categories we ignored far too long.
For those that don't know:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kip-sullivan-31bb003?

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
I know some won't like my opinion, but this IS the internet, so I get to share it:

I think most of us can see the writing on the wall. Like it or not...
While it's easy to assume that scanner listening is a huge hobby, you gotta remember we are in a bit of a concentration of users right here.
Get out in the general public, and if you asked someone what a scanner was, they'd assume you were talking about their printer at home.

Add in encryption, and there's going to be less of a market.

Audio streaming, less of a reason for individuals to buy their own scanner if someone else is providing what they need online.

SDR's are biting into the market. Why buy a $700 scanner when someone can get a $20 USB stick. Yes, I know, You know, but average consumer doesn't.

There's a lot of individuals that assume a $20 Baofeng is -the- perfect scanner. Plus, they get to transmit, because some guy on the internet told them it was OK, and don't forget the preppers….

Uniden hasn't done much in the last few years. No new products being announced. They sort of lost their steam when Paul passed.
Whistler sort of dropped out. No new products from them.

I think you can see where I'm going with this….
If anyone had the money to buy that part of Uniden, they'd need to do some serious research and consider the gamble. There's probably some really good reasons why there aren't any new products in the pipe.

And before I get flamed, I got my start in the hobby and the industry with a scanner, a CB and an old shortwave radio. It was a fun hobby. No way I'd personally invest in a scanner today.
Dam you nailed it right on the bulls eyes. Couldn't of been a better statement. If some new young hot shot showed up on shark tank even those guys would not even take a gamble nor would anybody else at this point. This is why you do not see any new players in the game as well as Uniden is not going to spend any money on R and D. There is no point. You can't legally in The United States research and develop encryption to get around it like when Trunking digital and DMR and NXDN and ProVoice were legal. But we have scalled past this point to where the brick wall is and there is no possible way to break thru at this point. Save your money and go buy something else because this hobby is on its way out the door and we are all witnessing it happen on our time here on earth. Even the big energy companies are even switching to TDMA II Trunking and will be a 100 percent gone too.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think there will always be something to listen to.
Encryption is here to stay, and it's going to continue to spread. People can beat their chests and announce they are going to complain, but it's not going to work.
More and more users are going to LTE, and that you won't be able to monitor that.

Will be interesting to see where Uniden goes with this market. Updated scanners, maybe? New features, maybe? Add shortwave capability, maybe? More IP/Internet capability, maybe?
Or maybe just lower cost radios?

Will be interesting to see where they take things...

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I recall back in the 1970s when Motorola announced the MDT-9100 and the scanner community was declared dead. Lamentations were loud, frequent, and public safety officials proclaimed that "security" had finally come to communications.

iu

iu

Smaller agencies couldn't afford them and frequencies were almost impossible to obtain in metro areas, but eventually the Panasonic Toughbook and wireless infrastructure made them a viable tool for most agencies. A cell phone effectively did the same thing, without the SCMODS jokes.

I was a scanner hobbyist before I became a cop and still am long after I retired. The BC250 came and went. Now, it's the turn of the SDS-200. I confidently predict that I'll be dead for years before scanners go the way of 1.8 MHz one way police radios.

Technology marches on and while VASCAR was replaced by RADAR and now LIDAR, it takes a while. Cops are traditionalists and the ruling governance is reluctant to fund police programs of any sort now. LEAA is long dead.

I'm outta the business, but I still listen.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
Looking at his bio, he is a salesman. Take whatever he says with a grain or two of salt ;)

So you're worried he's trying to sell you something he's not actually going to sell you? 🤔

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Add shortwave capability, maybe?
Shortwave is even more "dead" than public safety scanning has become. Of course those on here in the shortwave forum will disagree, but when was the last time you heard talk of shortwave radio come up amongst non-radio people? Most either never heard of it or think it died with CB radio in the 80s. The first time I listened to a CB broadcast was 1991...in school. We tuned into a ton of international channels back then.

Traditional radio as a hobby is shrinking, as in all radio, scanners,CB, even ham. Some cars don't even come with AM anymore. We can thank technology for that. VoIP and cellular/satellite (Starlink anyone?) is where I see things heading...and probably get used to paying a recurring monthly fee to listen to anything, if available at all.

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
Radio as a hobby isnt dead. Radio more a part of our daily lives as it ever was. You just got to know how to use it.

I got bored with radio really fast when I was kid (70s/80s kid). It is much, much better now. Even broadcast AM/FM have better programming now because they had to change. This is thing, in order to survive, you have to adapt. Radio isnt going anywhere.

Honestly, every US citizens should own an MW/SW/FM radio, CB Radio and a FRS/GMRS/HAM HT (which I wish the FCC would legalize) and know how to use them. We will always be at the brink of war or natural disaster. We need to be able to communicate.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
The first time I listened to a CB broadcast was 1991...in school. We tuned into a ton of international channels back then.

What international broadcasts were you listening to on CB? 🤔

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Shortwave is even more "dead" than public safety scanning has become. Of course those on here in the shortwave forum will disagree, but when was the last time you heard talk of shortwave radio come up amongst non-radio people? Most either never heard of it or think it died with CB radio in the 80s. The first time I listened to a CB broadcast was 1991...in school. We tuned into a ton of international channels back then.

I don't disagree.
But, Uniden wouldn't have much of an issue adding it to an SDR, and there are those that would gobble it up (ie: increased sales). There are Uniden fans that would probably buy it no matter what.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
I don't disagree.
But, Uniden wouldn't have much of an issue adding it to an SDR, and there are those that would gobble it up (ie: increased sales). There are Uniden fans that would probably buy it no matter what.
Honestly I'd just be happy if they added bluetooth. Other than that, focus on making some other areas better. I don't know about the SDS but at least on the 436 the automatic gain control and digital decoding need some fine tuning IMO

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
Honestly I'd just be happy if they added bluetooth. Other than that, focus on making some other areas better. I don't know about the SDS but at least on the 436 the automatic gain control and digital decoding need some fine tuning IMO
“focus on making some other areas better.” Well, let’s see. Durability and or structural integrity? A measurably better quality sounding speaker, in spite of it‘s rather diminutive size. Unlikely but it’s certainly a nice thought when one stops to consider what happens to almost any piece of equipment it’s size in the real world. Is it really that cost prohibitive for Uniden to improve their overall build quality by say….15-20%? Better digital decoding would be nice as well, yet I completely understand when it comes to just about any first iteration as far as receiver design goes. I’m not blind to the reality that production costs are and will always remain central to when it comes to manufacturing just about anything in existence today. But wouldn’t it be nice if those who actually make these products admit to what they‘re already aware of which is that they can easily improve upon the existing build quality of what they currently offer without worrying about how it’ll effect shareholder value? Is it really that difficult for these folks to simply go that extra mile to satisfy who they claim are their most important asset and that of course are their customers?

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I don't disagree.
I'd be TONS cheaper to buy a separate SW/LW radio. Among other things, these are 24hr/day AM stations. You could maybe tune them but not "scan" them with a $700 scanner.

Let alone the need for a much larger long wire antenna.

Using your logic, why not also add the AM broadcast band to your scannet