Chamelon Loop Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkelso

Can anyone recommend a Tripod to hold the chameleon Cha-F loop. It's the large one with the metal plate on the bottom.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Can anyone recommend a Tripod to hold the chameleon Cha-F loop. It's the large one with the metal plate on the bottom.

I've always had good luck using the Slik U212 for a variety of uses; it has leg braces which add stability, and in addition to holding fairly heavy cameras I've used it for holding a homemade magnetic loop. There's also a 1/4-20 stud on the bottom of the center column which can be used to mount a weight bag for additional stability.

mrkelso

Can the 3 way head be removed creating a level platform with a screw that fits a tripod socket?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use a Velbon S-900 camera tripod that I've had for several decades. It's a little wonky now, but it holds my Chamelon F-Loop very well. A recent addition of a 1.4 lb. heavier 10' length 1/2" Heliax coaxial cable (LDF4-50A) remains sturdy on it instead the thin bit of coax that came with it. I use the regular 1/4-20 screw hole on the bottom and attach it directly to the quick release of the tripod. I do not use the two holes on the back, but to each their own. The measurements of the quick release mount I use is 7 x 4 cm.

Anyways, I think you know to avoid some flimsy spotting scope tripod and remember height is not might with this loop. Spread the legs wide and keep it stable.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Can the 3 way head be removed creating a level platform with a screw that fits a tripod socket?

On the U212, yes. Been awhile since I took the head off, but the mounting stud is either 3/8-16 or 1/4-20. Pretty sure the U212 includes a 3/8-16 to 1/4-20 adapter but if not, you can get the adapter for a couple of bucks.

If it's not a 3/8-16 it's 1/4-20; those are the standard sizes for tripods. 3/8-16 is pretty much the standard for mounting the head to the tripod, and 1/4-20 is the standard socket on all but the heaviest cameras.

I have a Manfrotto video head I use with my Slik U212 base for video work; it comes with the standard 3/8-16 threaded socket, and I recall having to use an adapter somewhere in there.

A clarification based on what @vagrant said. . . the legs on the U212 can spread out almost fully horizontal, so you can get a stable platform on nearly any kind of terrain; of course, the more they're spread out the closer to ground the tripod head is, but the thing is wildly adjustable when needed. I've been using a U212 since my college days nearly 40 years ago and it's served me quite well.

UPDATE: There are several U212 tripods on eBay for very attractive prices right now. I'm tempted to buy another just so I have a spare.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Most tripods originally designed for photo/video use will have a 1/4-20 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.