• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Change from O5 to O3 Head on XTL5000

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
I have an XTL5000 in Remote Config with an O5 Head.
I know my way around the CPS and I program through the front mic connection on the O5 head.
What does it take to switch over to an O3 Head?
Can I just pick up any O3 head on eBay?
Once I remove the O5 Head How am I programming?
Thanks to All.

Jim
KO9JAD

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
You have to use a serial cable to either program via the J2 connector or GCAI serial on the radio. Once you use an O3 with an XTL, you'll get the "no USB" message on the XTL if you try to use USB programming cables via the GCAI port. Also, the first time you connect an O3 that has been used on an APX or XTL with different firmware, the host firmware will have to transfer from the brick to the head- the head will sit there and ingest it for several minutes. Do NOT interrupt this process. Once it's loaded, you should be good to go. Configure your menus and soft keys as you wish in Astro 25 Mobile CPS.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I have a VHF XTL5K with an O3 head and mine requires programming from the rear accessory port using the serial RS232 HKN6160A cable. Trying to use a USB cable throws an error.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I use a FTDI USB to Serial dongle and have had great success with programming my fleet of XTLs.
Cause per the software you are using a serial cable. The usb setting in software is for Motorola OEM programming cables.

a417

Cause per the software you are using a serial cable. The usb setting in software is for Motorola OEM programming cables.
Right, didn't say anything to the contrary.

I don't have any PCs with a R232 Serial Port connection.
Not having an onboard RS232 port doesn't prevent @JimD56 from using serial to program his XTL5k/O3 combo, provided he gets a USB/serial adaptor.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Rear USB via J2 works fine too, and is easy to add to a rear accy connector to roll your own if you don't have one.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Right, didn't say anything to the contrary.

Not having an onboard RS232 port doesn't prevent @JimD56 from using serial to program his XTL5k/O3 combo, provided he gets a USB/serial adaptor.
I was just making a mention as a lot of people think the usb to serial adapter means to use the usb setting in cps.

a417

Rear USB via J2 works fine too, and is easy to add to a rear accy connector to roll your own if you don't have one.
This is excellent advice. My bench J2 breaks everything available, it's good practice.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I've used a USB cable to program 5000s via the brick with success. However, the last time it threw the "No USB detected" error code. Now the cable is giving me issues on everything else. Tried programming an XPR5550e and gave USB error. Then on an APX6500....it initially detected it and I was able to update the firmware and blow a codeplug in, and now it just keeps giving me the error. Tried different laptops, USB ports, update drivers etc. Almost like the cable is fried. Have a new one coming, but if anyone has a fix to "reset" the cable let me know.

Needless to say, I'll stick with the rear accessory port on the XTLs