• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Changing out O5 to O3 control head

jimgoss

Feed Provider
I have an APX8500 that was ordered with a O5 control head. My Chief did not like how it was mounted as it was mounted low on the floor and the display was hard to see. He oredered the O3 handheld control head thinking it would be plug and play. However, the O5 has a red Motorola cable and a blue Cable, and the O3 only has the blue. I assume the red is a power for the head as the radio unit itself only has the blue cable plugged in. Just looking to see if this is something that need to go back to the installer to run another wire or someting we can do in the station.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
The 03 only needs one cable, and is powered via the TIB on the radio brick. The speaker comes off the trapezoidal connector on the back of the 8500.

jimgoss

Feed Provider
I have an APX8500 that was ordered with a O5 control head. My Chief did not like how it was mounted as it was mounted low on the floor and the display was hard to see. He oredered the O3 handheld control head thinking it would be plug and play. However, the O5 has a red Motorola cable and a blue Cable, and the O3 only has the blue. I assume the red is a power for the head as the radio unit itself only has the blue cable plugged in. Just looking to see if this is something that need to go back to the installer to run another wire or someting we can do in the station.
So I can just leave the red multi pin cable alone and just use the blue? I’m have to give it a try. Thanks for the info.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
So I can just leave the red multi pin cable alone and just use the blue? I’m have to give it a try. Thanks for the info.
No sorta. The red one can float. The blue one will do no good as you have no way to connect the O3 head to the blue cable from the O5. The O3 head requires a different control cable - PMLN4958. Also when using the O3 control head ignition source needs to go to the rear of the deck and requires an HLN6863 iginition cable kit. You will also plug your speaker into this cable that was plugged into the O5 control head red cable. Simple solution but you need more than just the HHCH.