Chardon (OH) Schools to get Motorola School Safe equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc800

We have a mall that does that, the local FD has the mall security channel in their radios. Mainly because they get AFAs every day and fires like once every few weeks

box23

I've engineered phone systems for a number of schools. We ended up having break the phone lines up into three trunk groups: inbound, outbound, and PS/ALI. The problems we encountered were:
- As soon as parents heard something was going down, they flooded the school with calls and blocked PSAP call back.
- Because of the flood of incoming calls, no additional outgoing (including 911) calls could be made.
- During an emergency, staff members would flood our outbound lines with "I'm okay" calls.
- We tried 911 preemption but that didn't pass legal muster and created new problems.

As a result, when a 911 call is made, it now goes on a dedicated trunk and the caller ID displayed at the PSAP is a unique number which comes in on that dedicated trunk group. Now we have good, workable 911 service.

The only problem now is that emergencies happen during after school events and all the phones are locked in offices and classrooms. We have to hope we can get an administrator / keyholder and convince them to remain at that phone in case there's a callback instead of returning to the scene.

I assume this is an IP-based PBX? If so use WLAN handsets that interface through any existing wireless infrastructure in the school.

budevans

Nice PR move for Motorola

Motorola was able to take advantage of the States program to enhance school security and the Chardon tragedy.

The program for the schools has two options.
1. They could get one radio for each school buildings main office.
2. Or they could get $5000 per building to use for security entrance systems.
Here's a link to the program info: Ohio School Security Grant Program / MARCS In-School Emergency Communications – The Association of Public Safety Communications Officials

The Chardon School District is unique in the following ways:
1. The scene of a National tragedy.
2. Geauga County's existing deployment of MARCS-IP radio's for Public School Busses.

While I can't comment on schools across the state, I can regarding Cuyahoga County. The simple fact is most schools will go with the $5000/building option to upgrade security.

There are few communities in Cuyahoga County that use MARCS. The majority of Public Safety is on VHF, UHF or one of two trunk systems GCRCN P25, Parma P25. According to reports neither GRCRN nor Parma P25 have (full time) connections to MARCS via ISSI.

Please don't take this as a knock on Motorola. I think what they've done for Chardon is fanstastic. But it's is a unique situation, that others won't benefit from.

kf8yk

The system described in the original article is not part of or funded by the MARCS in Schools grant program.

Schoolsafe is a new product that was looking for a school district to demonstrate the product. Chardon received the entire system at no cost including hundreds of MotoTRBO handhelds, several base stations/repeaters and the interoperability switches.

Motorola was able to take advantage of the States program to enhance school security and the Chardon tragedy.

The program for the schools has two options.
1. They could get one radio for each school buildings main office.
2. Or they could get $5000 per building to use for security entrance systems.
Here's a link to the program info: Ohio School Security Grant Program / MARCS In-School Emergency Communications – The Association of Public Safety Communications Officials

budevans

The system described in the original article is not part of or funded by the MARCS in Schools grant program.

Schoolsafe is a new product that was looking for a school district to demonstrate the product. Chardon received the entire system at no cost including hundreds of MotoTRBO handhelds, several base stations/repeaters and the interoperability switches.

kf8yk,

Thanks for the correction. But, everything I listed still applies. Plus the $20,000 to $50,000 price tag the Moto link references is an even worse deal.

At least the States/MARCS grant program pays for the radio's.

wsykes41770

IMHO

Personally, I think EVERY teacher should have a radio and be properly trained in it's use and misuse. Communications is the one thing that everyone doesn't think about until they need it and it isn't there. People worry too much about the cost of the system and the maintenance to the equipment. They put that cost above the value of human life and that just isn't right.

Being a HAM radio operator has shown me the neccessity for good, reliable communications when stuff hits the fan. For years, I've seen people say that they don't need a radio when they have a cell phone. Having worked for a cell phone provider, I can tell you that cell phones probably won't work in a disaster or an emergency. Too many people will be making the "I'm okay" calls when others need to make the "I'm hurt, send help" calls. Public Safety officials won't be able to respond to calls because they can't get them in the first place!!

I deal with Motorola on a daily basis. They are a 4-letter word in my vocabulary on an occasional basis, but the concept behind SchoolSAFE is an excellent one. Bravo to Motorola for seeing a problem and providing a solution. So what if they make a few bucks in the process. Isn't that what America is all about after all?

sc800

I'm sorry but that reads to me like "America is about making a quick buck on the back of dead kids and exploiting tragedy for profit". Wait, maybe America is about that but it shouldn't be

Status
Not open for further replies.