Cheap & basic setup to stream a feed

kb1ejw

Local Idiot
Feed Provider
Hello- Pardon this post if it has been discussed already.
I am looking to set up a feed at my in-law's home several states away from me. I run a couple remote scanners w/ PCs at friends houses in reasonable driving distance, but I am looking to set up something basic at my in-laws without using a dedicated larger PC since they get worried about electric fees. I was thinking of a raspberry Pi, but since they are impossible to find, is there an alternative to such a device? Since they are several hundred miles away, and not tech savvy, Can I remotely connect to these in some fashion for maintenance? I have never used a Pi- type computer before so, sorry for possibly simple answered questions I ask.
The audio is analog, and not trunked, so I shouldn't need any special trunk-tracking software.

Thanks for any help
-J

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I don't use a raspi for my feeds but I've got a cheap lenovo thinkcentre m600. I have it running 2 zello feeds fed from an RTL dongle and a Bluetail P25RX. I also run UniTrunker for logging. For remote access I run NoMachine along with TeamViewer for some redundancy. Think I paid less than $40 for the pc. Been running 24/7 for nearly a year with very little issues. It's a small footprint and doesn't use much power. I was going to use a raspi but as you've seen they are unicorns right now.

jschmall

Premium Subscriber
Hello- Pardon this post if it has been discussed already.
I am looking to set up a feed at my in-law's home several states away from me. I run a couple remote scanners w/ PCs at friends houses in reasonable driving distance, but I am looking to set up something basic at my in-laws without using a dedicated larger PC since they get worried about electric fees. I was thinking of a raspberry Pi, but since they are impossible to find, is there an alternative to such a device? Since they are several hundred miles away, and not tech savvy, Can I remotely connect to these in some fashion for maintenance? I have never used a Pi- type computer before so, sorry for possibly simple answered questions I ask.
The audio is analog, and not trunked, so I shouldn't need any special trunk-tracking software.

Thanks for any help
-J
Wyse 5070 - eBay
Ubuntu Server (command line only) or Ubuntu Desktop
VPN - Tailscale
RTLSDR-Airband - GitHub
RTL-SDR - Amazon
Antenna of your choice for the freq you’re monitoring.

Should be able to setup in an afternoon and ship out.