• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Checking duplexer

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
So why the hell was it spec'd than?

So we added the repeater to increase range and reliability.
It seem's they are very finnicky.

Would there have been something we could have added to just bounce the signal of versus repeating it.
It's sometimes spec'd because some people just don't know what they're doing, both on the buyers and sellers side.

FreddyM

It happens but you are being given good advice from people that have done this or are doing this for a living.

My next question is on my mobiles.

I checked the swr on the antennas with the vna and with the swr meter.

All of them were around 1.3 and the swr meter was showing very little reflected power, just a few watts.
Does SWR tell me the whole story as far as the antenna is concerned.
It seems we have a big variance in range on the mobiles.
We are using tram 1159 and a few maxrad mhb 5802 antennas.
Should the base be firmly grounded to the frame of the vehicle on those antennas?
Should I take an ohm meter and check that?
Should the antenna be on the cab versus beside the hood where its actually lower than trhe cab?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Low SWR just tells you that there's little reflected power. It doesn't necessarily mean the antenna is working well, or radiating that RF well.

The metal under the antenna matters. That's the ground plane. Even though they may be "no ground plane" antennas, any metal under the antenna is going to impact performance.

Ideally, the antenna should be permanently mounted dead center of the truck roof. There should be, at minimum, 18" of metal in all directions under the antenna. Center of the roof, even on a regular cab truck will do that just fine.

Mounting the antenna off to one side will result in a lopsided ground plane and will make the antenna slightly directional (in both transmit -and- receive).

Mounting the antenna down on the fender will result in that lopsided ground plane. It can also result in some shielding from the cab.

Permanent mount NMO installed in a 3/4" diameter hole drilled in the dead center of the truck roof is the ideal installation. Cut coaxial cable to length and install the appropriate connector. Radio 12 volt DC power should come directly off the battery. Don't tap into existing wiring or cigarette lighter plugs. That's a good way to introduce noise into the radio via the power leads, and can impact performance.

The Tram antenna you mentioned earlier is a high gain antenna. That might look good on the surface, and may work well in some applications, but that extra gain comes with trade-offs. The gain is achieved by focusing more power at the horizon. That's great if you are out on the plains, and the truck is always perfectly level. Might be great in Saskatchewan, might not if you are in the middle of BC.

The Maxrad is a standard half wave, and while it has a bit of gain, it's not quite as extreme as the Tram.

Since you have two different types of mobile antennas, it might be worth getting a proper NMO mount installed in the center of the cab, and then comparing antennas. Likely you'll find one works better than others in certain situations. But that situation will change as the trucks move around. Your own experience will tell you what works better most of the time.

Sounds like you have a couple of things to address:
Duplexer tuning. -call a professional.
Appropriate coaxial cable. -easy to order the right stuff.
Increase repeater antenna height. Height is important, but I don't think you're going to see a huge amount of difference going from 30 feet to 70 feet.
Permanent install of mobile antennas. Always a good idea. No compromise mounts, no mag mounts, no fender mounts. Do it right the first time.