Chesapeake Trunked System

K3QQN

Premium Subscriber
In searching the FCC database for the City of Chesapeake, I came across a trunked system in the 800 MHz band - not the 700 MHz P25 system that’s currently being used by the city government. The callsign is WPMA403. It’s not in the RR database.

Does anyone know what it’s being used for? Is it the predecessor of the 700 MHz system? I’m curious because the license was recently renewed, and it has active control channels. I emailed the city's point of contact listed on the license and he came back with a vague answer that didn't answer my question.
As far as I know, the old 800 system was taken down. I deleted it from my radio. But, like the old Virginia Beach analog system, it could probably be reactivated if they chose to do it. I have notice 3 things on the 700 trunk.....I get signal cancellation from a nearby site, I can't get control channel around Bowers Hill or along 664 a lot of the time, and the ORION system is now separate and used in all surrounding cities. I just leave Virginia Beach on and it scans it just fine, even though I'm not getting control on the main system. My external mobile antenna doesn't seem to help matters either.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
As far as I know, the old 800 system was taken down. I deleted it from my radio. But, like the old Virginia Beach analog system, it could probably be reactivated if they chose to do it. I have notice 3 things on the 700 trunk.....I get signal cancellation from a nearby site, I can't get control channel around Bowers Hill or along 664 a lot of the time, and the ORION system is now separate and used in all surrounding cities. I just leave Virginia Beach on and it scans it just fine, even though I'm not getting control on the main system. My external mobile antenna doesn't seem to help matters either.
What kinda radio are using to listen to Chesapeake? I too had trouble getting them along 664 and in Western Branch/Churchland. Soon as I switched to a SDS100 and then a G4, my reception problems went away

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
I think the problem is with the simulcast system that Chesapeake is using. None of my scanners except for the SDS-100 receives the 700 MHz trunked system properly.

vavolff

Transcending Shower and Curtain
Premium Subscriber
@LeSueurC so the G4 holds up well with Chesapeake? I've been mulling over getting one for quite a while. Is the coverage decent on it?

@Larry51 I have a 352P2 that does well with VB's simulcast system, I'll see if it holds up on Chesapeake, haven't tested that out yet. I think I'll still snag a SDS100, I love my SDS200.

vavolff

Transcending Shower and Curtain
Premium Subscriber
What are you using for a mobile antenna? I've got one of those thru-glass cell style antennas, no real complaints on it. I should try it out around Bowers Hill/I-664 though, I don't get out that way often anymore.

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
@LeSueurC so the G4 holds up well with Chesapeake? I've been mulling over getting one for quite a while. Is the coverage decent on it?

@Larry51 I have a 352P2 that does well with VB's simulcast system, I'll see if it holds up on Chesapeake, haven't tested that out yet. I think I'll still snag a SDS100, I love my SDS200.
Let me know how the 352P2 does with the Chesapeake simulcast.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber

The G4 does exceptionally well on Chesapeake. Although the SDS100 receives it well, it does have brief periods where it doesn’t show DATA while scanning but it still does just as good