• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Chevy Colorado Gen 2 installs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Finally had a chance to take photos of the connection for the power.

*disclaimer: I prefer to connect directly to the battery positive post, but the upfitter guide for this truck recommended using the block in front of the under-hood fuse box, so I gave that a try. No issues, no noise….

I had some lead time on this truck. I'd ordered it back around the end of October, and it didn't arrive at the dealer until the middle of December. On the advice of someone else on this site, I pulled up the upfitter electrical manual for the half ton pickups and ordered this GM Part: P/N 84669070

This is the kit that adds the connection for a snow plow to the battery on the half ton trucks. It is NOT the correct part for the Colorado/Canyon trucks, but I was able to use parts out of it to do what I needed. In the kit is a snap in stud that allows installing a fuse in a spare slot on the front of the fuse box under the hood. I used the other stud to attach to the 12v buss, but I had to drill the hole out to 1/4. Looks like the Colorado/Canyon use 4mm studs, but it worked out fine. I had to procure some stainless steel 6mm x 1 jam nuts to keep the stud in place in case I had to replace the fuse.

The 60 amp fuse was included in the GM kit, but I purchased a few extra fuses to keep in the truck.
I had installed a 6 gauge positive power feed back to the rear of the cab. I covered it all in split loom and labeled it. The label was covered with clear heat shrink to keep it from coming off. I've done that on a number of installs and it's a cheap and easy trick that helps in the long run. 6 gauge crimp lug with 1/4" hole (1/4" is slightly larger than 6mm, and it works just fine)

All buttoned up, the only showing that it's not stock is the extra split loom covered power lead.

About 750 miles on the truck, and no issues. No RFI/noise on the radio. I took it for it's first off road run 2 weeks ago, and while I didn't purposely beat it hard, there were some good stretches of washboard that shook things pretty well. A bit of technical trails to boot. Everything held just fine.

As for the truck, it's running the 2.8L Diesel and it's been a really smooth engine with plenty of power. It accelerates slower than the gas engine, but at my age, I don't drive fast and am not trying to race anyone. Same with my wife, and it's her daily driver. Running about 25mpg average, although on the interstate it was showing a bit over 28mpg for most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.