Chimney cap interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

thom

Premium Subscriber
My Diamond discone is mounted on a 10 ft mast attached to a chimney mount . the chimney's aluminum cap is about 5 feet below the antenna. Is that a problem ?

jon_k

My Diamond discone is mounted on a 10 ft mast attached to a chimney mount . the chimney's aluminum cap is about 5 feet below the antenna. Is that a problem ?

The answer is no.

Unless it's in between the signals you want then there will be no problems.

Are there any specific concerns regarding the cap, or just a general "will it have an effect on my antennas field reception?"

thom

Premium Subscriber
re: Chimney Cap

Nothing specific, I thought all that metal up there near the antenna might not be a good thing.

jon_k

The distance from the antenna (5 feet is a lot) means that the antenna will not make any noticeable difference to your reception. Couldn't even be an effective ground plane like that.

Offtopic but, I always find it interesting when I see vehicles with 10 antennas on the roof about 3 inches apart. I always wonder if they end up making essentially a Yagi somehow with metal so close. I suppose not since they're all grounded... but it's funny to imagine.

Last edited:

thom

Premium Subscriber
I know the chimney thing isn't a great idea but the discone doesn't weigh much and the chimney is only 2 years old . We don't have fires in the fireplace either.

The metal in question is an aluminum cap attached top of the chimney to keep the weather & squirrels out .

Status
Not open for further replies.