City of Dallas and DPD/DFD P25 Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rednecknerd

According to some committee briefings I found today on the city hall website, they have been working towards a complete P25 swap for police and fire since 2010.

According to one of the documents, the city spent $27.7 million replacing 8,275 handheld and mobile radios across DPD, DFD, OoEM, and DWU. All of these radios were functional with the current analog NFM bands, as well as whatever P25 system they create.

From what I can see, Dallas has been evaluating the new radios since Q2 of this year, and will continue the evaluation through the beginning of 2017. Sometime around March of 2017, is when they will be looking to award a vendor with the contract to actually do the system upgrade and swap-over.

I guess we can only hope that they don't go the route of McKinney and encrypt everything once the install/upgrade is complete.

Figured some of you might be interested.

Radio Network Replacement Project memo

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
According to some committee briefings I found today on the city hall website, they have been working towards a complete P25 swap for police and fire since 2010.

According to one of the documents, the city spent $27.7 million replacing 8,275 handheld and mobile radios across DPD, DFD, OoEM, and DWU. All of these radios were functional with the current analog NFM bands, as well as whatever P25 system they create.

From what I can see, Dallas has been evaluating the new radios since Q2 of this year, and will continue the evaluation through the beginning of 2017. Sometime around March of 2017, is when they will be looking to award a vendor with the contract to actually do the system upgrade and swap-over.

I guess we can only hope that they don't go the route of McKinney and encrypt everything once the install/upgrade is complete.

Figured some of you might be interested.

Radio Network Replacement Project memo

This thread was concerning the request for proposals on equipment:
http://forums.radioreference.com/te...y-dallas-accepting-p25-ph-ii-system-bids.html

I agree that a switch to all-encrypted, as the case in McKinney, and more recently Arlington, Fort Worth, and Grand Prairie, would be unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.