City of Fredericksburg: officer down

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPKeller2

I caught the tail end of a police pursuit tonight, around 23:20. Apparently the suspect was chased into the Belmont Apartments on Cowan Boulevard, which is just about a half a mile from the new police headquarters. Just after I started listening, the call went out of officer down.

There was brief confusion, and a roll call was conducted. All other officers were accounted for. The wounded officer was taken to Mary Washington Hospital (about a quarter mile away) with a gunshot wound to the head and a "through and through" gunshot wound to the leg. AirCare was unable to respond due to weather conditions. It appears that a fog is settling in the area.

From what I could tell, off duty officers were brought in to relieve the officers who were involved at the scene, and several of the officers were audibly upset during their radio communication.

Our local press (Free Lance-Star) has demonstrated a pathetic lack of timely coverage of major incidents, so it is hard to say when additional information may become available.

Thoughts and prayers are with this officer and his family, as well as the rest of the Fredericksburg police force.

Theron

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Sad sad story, we join you in prayers for Officer Bahr and his family.

Wish we could build more prisons for thugs like Berryman, maybe he would still be serving time from the Oct incident.

TPKeller2

The funeral service for Officer Todd Bahr was held today with attendance by hundreds of officers from across the state and the country.

Local coverage of the funeral can be found here.

I also have a question. This was the first Fredericksburg police officer killed in the line of duty in 44 years, so I was not around and listening to the radio at that time. Starting this morning, which was not particularly unexpected, but even now continuing into this afternoon and evening, I am hearing only unfamiliar unit numbers and lots of strange voices on the radio. I am just wondering is it normal for there to be volunteers taking the local duty for some time after a funeral like this?

I'm quite amazed and impressed that there would be so many who volunteer their time to come in to our town and help out in this manner. I appreciate their efforts all that much more as I hear them asking for clarification and directions to places that are common knowledge to local residents, and confirming the local policies with regard to things like how much information is recorded during traffic stops, etc. It's hard to think of a tougher job than to come into an unfamiliar town and be the local cops for a day or an evening.

Many thanks to all involved. I know our hurting police force deserves a night off.

Theron

JESSERABBIT

When I was a firefighter in Washington D.C. we had a member of the company stationed at our firehouse who was killed in the line of duty. I was at the scene when it happened. Not good. The firefighters from Maryland and Virginia filled our stations during the funeral. God bless them.

nasamp88

The state police came into the city after volunteering to handle the calls so the whole department could attend the viewing and funeral. I know of several duputies from both Stafford and Spotsylvania who also volunteered their time if it was needed. Several of the officers from Fredericksburg also went to work after the funeral to assist the state with calls. Yes it the practice of law enforcement to assist at times like this however, we thank god that it rarely is necessary. The same thing was done in Stafford less than a year ago when Deputy Moody was killed while responding to a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.