BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Clicking Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
lets get a recording of this supposed "clicking noise", that might help getting you an answer to your problem.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Is it scanning while this is happening or is it stopped on what it believes to be a transmission?

If it is only happening w/an external antenna connected, that pretty much rules out it being an internally generated signal.

n4yek

Just curious, is there another scanner in the room that is also scanning? If so, stop it from scanning or shut it off and see if the ticking goes away.

drayd48

I will get a video of the display also when I get home. It only clicks when it is scanning and stops when a talkgroup becomes active or I hold on a channel

JamesO

I wonder if the Muting function of the audio driver chip is hung/not working and the audio Amp is left in an idle mode while the radio is scanning??

If you pause on a non active channel/talk group, do the noise stop? If so, I expect there is a problem in the audio section of the scanner??

drayd48

I wonder if the Muting function of the audio driver chip is hung/not working and the audio Amp is left in an idle mode while the radio is scanning??

If you pause on a non active channel/talk group, do the noise stop? If so, I expect there is a problem in the audio section of the scanner??

Correct. If I hold and stop the scanning on a non active channel, it stops clicking

JamesO

Depends on your capabilities.

1. Send it back to Uniden for repair, cost around $90 or so with shipped as I recall. I doubt it is under Warranty, however, depending on where and when you purchased it, it may be??

2. Live with the problem, connect an external speaker and see if it helps.

3. Take the scanner apart and check on the Audio IC and see what is going on with the Muting input and try to find if there is a broken/cracked or cold solder joint due to the scanner being handled rough, dropped or exposed to extreme temperatures. Again, not sure your capabilities and access to test equipment.

Not sure the history on the unit, have you owned it since new?

Another member here (zane018) was nice enough to forward this to me when we were discussing another issue, not 100% sure this is the same package and configuration for the 996XT, but is is likely similar. Note the Muting pin, this should change state once the Squelch breaks, if this chip is bad or there is a problem with the device the chip drives, this may be the source of your clicking??

I have not researched this chip any further so I do not know the exact part number or IC number on the board, it is probably close to the DB9 connector on the rear portion of the circuit board?

Did you recently purchase it used?

Did it always have the noise and what happened right before the noise started?

Attachments

• Chip Diagram.jpg
    Chip Diagram.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

mkescan

I have the same problem, with Uniden 996XT & one 996P2. After days of trying & changing so many things, I discovered it only happens when scanning a Digital System. I only notice it on scanner apps, when it's close to ear, or real quite room.This all happened after I switched over to Digital System for my feed. Milwaukee County Fire

Ubbe

I only notice it on scanner apps, when it's close to ear, or real quite room.

It is the scanner apps that have an automatic level control that raise the volume when there is no sound so that all background hiss and clicks become much more apparent.

/Ubbe

mkescan

It is the scanner apps that have an automatic level control that raise the volume when there is no sound so that all background hiss and clicks become much more apparent.

/Ubbe

But why is it only happening with Digital Systems?

magnumfan

I have the same ticking sound on my 996xt. Only hear while scanning, it's not really loud but you can hear it, more annoying than anything, but would love to know how to fix it.

shajoe44

Clicking on my BC895XLT on convential frequency

If I need to start a new thread please advise. I am getting a loud clicking sound only on one conventional frequency, 453.350. It clicks loudly at end of each transmission, officer - dispatch. At times it clicks while scanning but if I lockout frequency sound goes away. Other scanners are not doing this for this frequency. I know this scanner is old and it stays on all the time but other agencies are coming in great and with no problems. Thanks

drayd48

So I have realized that it only clicks when I am scanning a trunking system. When I scan conventional channels, it does not click. If I scan conventional channels and talkgroup channels, it clicks. When I scan multiple trunking systems, it also clicks. It was so bad I had to put a different receiver on my feed.

wmbio

BCD996xt clicking

My first 996XT did not click on the on the only trunked system I listen to!, Well the first radio lost it's audio and was sent to Uniden for repair/replace. When it arrived back, the first thing I heard from the replaced radio was the trunked sysem clicking....clicking every time the control channels are scanned about, 1 time per second. No signal conditioning helps.. You cannot squelch out the click/noise when it scans the systems control channels , nor any Freescan programming option will help.. I have owned the xt scanners for 6 or 7 years so I am not a novice at this and nothing else is turned on, no scanners in the room.. I hate the click but have gotten used to it.

I know this does not help you....but your not the only person hearing this.

Enjoy
Wmbio

Status
Not open for further replies.