Close Call vs Signal Stalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium Subscriber
Uniden SDS100 Close Call doesn't seem to be too impressive.

Is the Whistler..... (Specifically the TRX-1) That much better?

I have heard the Signal Stalker out performs the Uniden's Close Call.

BUT... is it THAT much better?

wtp

when i walk around a local mall the uniden 396T is great.
it stores the frequencies in a system/folder for me to check later.
the pro164 has had the NOAA tower trip it 5 miles from the tower.
great range, but how would i know where the tower was if i did not know already ?
Venice Florida, i was on rt41north, south of town and the tower is at 75 and border rd.
for the 164 you have to look at the display as the frequency disappears.
i know you said trx1 but i think it is about the same in that you can't just get a list in the radio of hits.

Last edited:

Premium Subscriber
when i walk around a local mall the uniden 396T is great.
it stores the frequencies in a system/folder for me to check later.
the pro164 has had the NOAA tower trip it 5 miles from the tower.
great range, but how would i know where the tower was if i did not know already ?
Venice Florida, i was on rt41north, south of town and the tower is at 75 and border rd.
for the 164 you have to look at the display as the frequency disappears.
i know you said trx1 but i think it is about the same in that you can't just get a list in the radio of hits.

Thank you for your response

Not sure how this makes sense to the original question... but thank you anyways.

wtp

that the trx looks like it does not store the hits, so you would have to watch it.
and just because something is that sensitive, you might not be able to use the information.
the uniden usually gets hits within 200 feet of a tower, there are many towers in a 5 mile radius.
that way if you are standing next to a tower you would now know what is on it, not 5 miles away.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I used to travel extensively, usually between the same cities - NYC, Austin, Las Vegas, Nashville, LA, Dayton - and the CloseCall feature has always been a valuable tool when monitoring whatever hotel/motel I was staying at. Maintenance, Housekeeping, Security, Front Desk, etc, I could hear them all and knew when something major was going on. Nowdays most hotels are DMR and not as easy to monitor as they used to be. You can hear some hilarious things when the staff is discussing the residents.

I traveled with both SDS100 and TRX-1 and I have to agree that I got more hits and generally heard more CloseCall (Spectrum Sweep) on the Whistler TRX-1 than on the SDS100.

Close Call is a riot at most truckstops. I tapped into an undercover prostitution sting at a TA just outside Houston one night on 173.something and I laughed so hard I darn near had to change my britches.

Premium Subscriber
@wtp : ok, sorry... your post makes more sense now. I was unaware that the TRX did not store hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.