• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Clueless on DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattkuhar

hi everyone, not sure im posting in the right spot (mods feel free to move this) i will be getting some HT1000's in the future as i hear they are very good portables. i hear the programming software for them is only available under DOS. can anybody enlighten me on how to use DOS lol. and will the software run under FreeDOS? im not very familiar with a command line but i am more than willing to learn how to do it.

Thanks Everyone

33kracing

i think you have to get an old school computer that runs on windows dos...then u need a rib-box and rib-cable. then the rest is 1-2-3

Mattkuhar

i do have a very old laptop currently that i can install DOS onto (cpu runs at 233Mhz) whats your experience with the ribless cables under DOS? i have one for a kenwood now that runs under XP pretty good.

33kracing

i dont think moto radios that old can program without a rib cable... only the newer ones can. and i suppodr the kenwood radios are the same

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
forget using USB anything with these old radios. Ribless cables are usually fine, provided you have a good stable DOS platform. The HT1000 RSS is out there, and the later versions (3.03 and higher) will actually run on CPU's as fast as 2GHz.

I use a Panasonic Toughbook CF-29mk 5 which has a 1.6GHz Pentium 4M, booted to MS-DOS 6.22, and run the HT1000 RSS off a small FAT16 partition. It works fine and I have never bricked a radio or had any issues, I use this with a genuine Motorola RLN4008E RIB and aftermarket RIB to radio cable.

Mattkuhar

Cool ribless sounds good, i think ill be installing DOS 6.22 as soon as i find a floppy drive for my computer (or can it install off a cdrom?) i did find HT1000 software but not sure which version yet so ill try it on the old machine first.

teufler

the rss software, for the ht1000 and others that require dos, no big deal. you just answer commands by selecting items from your number keys. actual dos, you don't have to know.. case of the software is smarter than the operator. some times I could run in windows with a shell to dos function, using powerdesk. The program has an open dos prompt than allowed rss software to run.

SCPD

QRT
For your question, a old pc using windows 3.1 would be fine. I use a windows 3.1 laptop a old toshiba satellite monochrome laptop with upgraded ms dos. Since it's old platform windows 3.1 starts and I run the rss from it. Never had one problem. I also used a compaq presario cdtv old machine with windows 3.11. It ran fine also off the rss icon in windows that would launch a program into dos. Ribless cables on these old radios worked fine. You may check the com settings after installing the rss to ensure proper comm is selected and the file directory to save codeplugs.

Mattkuhar

For your question, a old pc using windows 3.1 would be fine. I use a windows 3.1 laptop a old toshiba satellite monochrome laptop with upgraded ms dos. Since it's old platform windows 3.1 starts and I run the rss from it. Never had one problem. I also used a compaq presario cdtv old machine with windows 3.11. It ran fine also off the rss icon in windows that would launch a program into dos. Ribless cables on these old radios worked fine. You may check the com settings after installing the rss to ensure proper comm is selected and the file directory to save codeplugs.

i wasnt aware that the RSS could be run under 3.11. do you have any experience with running it under a virtual machine? just found a tutorial to install without a floppy drive into a virtual machine but i dont know how the radios would like to run under that.

N4KVE

Unless you are getting the HT1000's for free, I would suggest you pay an extra $10 per radio & purchase MTS2000's which can be programmed with a modern computer using CPS. So much easier to program, much better control of the 3 position toggle switch, and a top mounted display.

Mattkuhar

Unless you are getting the HT1000's for free, I would suggest you pay an extra $10 per radio & purchase MTS2000's which can be programmed with a modern computer using CPS. So much easier to program, much better control of the 3 position toggle switch, and a top mounted display.

CPS means they program under windows right? if thats the case that would be so much better on my end :) im looking on ebay now for MTS2000's do they have them in a VHF flavor? so far i only see 800Mhz

N4KVE

VHF, UHF, 800, & 900 mhz. And yes, Windows, but probably not Win8. Plenty of cheap Windows XP laptops floating around with real serial ports.

Mattkuhar

BLECK!! thats ok, i dont like windows 8 lol. i have an old XP Laptop with Serial im using now to mess around with my Kenwood TK-780, now just need the cash for some MTS2000's the cable, and the software (what should the software run me btw)

Otis413

I used an old IBM X41 laptop with a dock that has a serial port, (KaWaMall ribless cable), the HDD is shot so I boot from a thumb drive to MS-DOS 6.22.
I like the thumb drive boot (USB Boot must be supported in the BIOS) because I can plug the TD into my desktop PC and add software and backup the codeplugs. This works great with my HT1000s and MaxTrac 300s, but wouldn't work with my MaraTrac, the laptop was to fast for that RSS and I had to set up an old 75mhz desktop for those...

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
DOS programming

You can boot and run the RSS from a floppy if you don't have USB boot capability. Depending on the size of the RSS, you may need two disks, one for boot and the other to run the program. The kawamall cables with the chip built into the connector work quite well for my older radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.